SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Believing by faith alone will not get you saved

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
romanchog

Re: Believing by faith alone will not get you saved

The short answer is that we are saved by faith. But the proof that we are saved (synonyms for this: abide in Him, we are in Christ, we know Him, etc.) is that we walk as Jesus walked.

1 John 2:3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.
4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him.
6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.

(By commandment, it is not understood to be the entire law as had been developed in Judaism at the time. It is the law of the Spirit.)

Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

(So we must be walking according to the Spirit if we are truly in Christ Jesus.)

Romans 8:13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. 14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

(In other words, if you live by the flesh, you are not in Christ, so you will not inherit eternal life and will die. Those who live by the Spirit, and are therefore sons of God, will inherit eternal life and live.)

Heb 8:10 (quoting Jer 31:33): For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

(The new covenant that we have in Christ, being more glorious than the first covenant under the law (2 Cor 3:7-11) is a covenant of the Spirit (2 Cor 3:6) and is manifested in us through God's laws being written directly on our minds and hearts, so that we are moved to obey Him by our intellect and our emotions).

In summary, though salvation is NOT by works, but by repentance and faith, your faith is shown through living your life in the Spirit and not in the flesh.

The issue really is, when we say that we receive salvation by believing in Christ, what does it mean to believe? This short video by Francis Chan is a good illustration of that concept.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EedUll7SGr0

2011/11/12 17:22Profile

Re:

Blaine, dont worry... on essentials you and I are blood brothers! There is no doubt.

As for me being silent, I am honoring the request of a newbie. Basically on another thread (which was locked because of the originaly topic) I was asking the gentleman who insisted that we MUST live the Levitical Law for salvation if he never cuts the hairs on the side of his head, or never trims the edges of his beard (Lev 19:27). For two days he refused to answer my question, so I did begin to badger him some about this. I believe the newbie did not really understand the signifigance of my question. He got a little annoyed with me, and thats ok. No hard feelings.

But in all seriousness, these things are vitally important because these ARE the essentials. If someone truly believes that we must live under the Law in order to be saved then they are saying that Christ's death was pointless. He wasted His blood.

Folks, thats blasphemous.

This other gentleman claimed there is but ONE Covenant... the Law. He claimed there is no new covenant, and where the Bible mentions a new covenant it is merely error that was entered by the translators. Now, of course this shows that the gentleman is very ignorant of Bible translating and the history of it.

Back to the hair cut question tho, whenever someone comes to you and demands that we must live according to the OT Law... the first thing you do is ask: Do you? They will say yes. Then you ask: OK, so do you refrain from cutting the hairs on the side of your head, or from trimming the edges of your beard as Lev 19:27 commands?

They will NEVER answer that question unless they are those guys you see with the black suit and hat and the hair hanging down the sides of their heads. (I do not know enough about Judaism... I'm not an expert, sorry)

Anyway, I find it interesting and hypocritical that some Christians come to us telling us that we must obey the Law... obey this and that from the Levitical Law... when they themselves do not even attempt to obey the Law.

The reason that I started this thread is because I am seeing a trend on this forum of more and more newer people bringing Law keeping as the way to salvation into conversations. Usually not as bluntly as this person I am speaking of, but it's there. And it needs to be addressed. It's a false teaching... it's Judaizing, as Paul referred to it. (Some may think that is an anti-semitic term, but it's NOT. It's a Biblical term that simply means someone who is trying to put believing Christians under the Law of Moses.)

Krispy

2011/11/12 17:25

Re:

By the way... we SHOULD use the Law to help lead people to salvation. We use it to show them that they have sinned against God and fallen short. That they can NEVER keep the Law... and that is why we need a Saviour!

Law keeping can never save us because none of us can ever keep the Law.

Thats the whole point of the Law! To point us to Christ!

Krispy

2011/11/12 17:44
brothagary

Re:

i have to say i fully agree with you last 2 posts krispy

oh and most of your other posts

that is how one uses the law lawfully as paul says to timothy i think was timothey

it can be used to bring a sinner to christ

for it is said to be not made for a righeous

but for those contrary to the gosple of christ

a person regenarted by the spirit of god is not contrary to the gopsle therfor he is not under the law

and the law is not needed regarding him to bring him under conviction and to show him is rebelion

2011/11/12 18:18Profile
brothagary

Re:

But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;

009:

Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,

010:

For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

011:

According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.

2011/11/12 18:25Profile
brothagary

Re:

gal 3.15
Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though it be but a man's covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto.

016:

Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

017:

And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.

018:

For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

019:

Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

020:

Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one.

021:

Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

022:

But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

023:

But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

024:

Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

025:

But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

026:

For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus

2011/11/12 18:31Profile
brothagary

Re:

010:

For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

011:

But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

012:

And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

013:

Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

014:

That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

2011/11/12 18:33Profile
MichaelLiao

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Mahoney

Quote:
I hope you don't mind, but rather than argue the point (which is just a tired exercise these days...) I will post some thoughts from an article, "Resting...True Faith" by Malcolm Smith

Hey Mahoney,

I want to ask, where did you get this material from Malcolm Smith, I want to check it out. It just reminds me of God's grace.

In Christ,

- Michael Liao

2011/11/12 19:22Profile
a-servant

Re:

What's new in the new covenant? First of course the new high priest that is now Jesus himself:

Hebrews 12:24  And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

What happened to God's laws?

Hebrews 10:16  This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

These laws are now not in front of their eyes to read and trying to obey anymore, they are written into their hearts and in their minds.

This type of writing reminds me a little bit of hardcoding software instructions into a computer. With the difference that this "computer" has his own free will of whether he will run my program or not. However it's written in the heart (PC = RAM) and in the mind (PC = ROM).

Now when I want to check on this computer if I will include it in my fleet that will be used to work on projects and so ask this computer whether my laws (the instructions of the programmer) are written unto that PC or if they have ceased to exisit, and the PC responds by exercising his free will with "no such instructions have been written" - what would you as the project leader do with that PC?

Obviously it's a relationship, or a love issue. If he loves me he will run my instructions. If he doesn't love me we will not have a mutual lasting relationship. Now the lack of our relationship will tempt him to run other programs even contrary to my liking. And that ends his ability to even maintain minimum level of relationship by denying my grace to give him options in the first place. My software creator mind is thinking there along Paul's mind when he says:

Hebrews 10:29  Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace

That's where the analogy ends because the Son of God paid a much higher price to establish our possible relationship with the sheding of his blood.

2011/11/12 19:54Profile

Re: Malcolm Smith

Michael

You know what...I had the article saved in my documents, and I thought it was by Malcolm Smith because it sounded so much like him...it very well may be because there is no author. But here is the link to the article...it was actually on SI...

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=4446&forum=35&post_id=&refresh=Go

Here is the link to Malcolm Smith's webinar channel too....just awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/user/MalcolmSmithWebinars

2011/11/12 20:40

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy