SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Biblical Remedies?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
mguldner

Kansas

Biblical Remedies?

I have had the start of a nasty cold and it is no fun thus far. But I was suggested to drink Ginger Tea and found that I really enjoy the theopetic affects hot tea has made. For one it has made this cold more bearable in terms of symptoms. It also has been a great comfort thing and actually has helped me sleep more restfully. My question is, Is there any natural remedy type things they did in the bible I could look to that would simple improve my overall health and/or would be good habits to pick up?

I ask this with sincerity as we are to take care of our bodies, plus I want to live as long as I can for my children and in service to the Lord (and yes I know the Lord already has the day and hour for which I will kick the perverbial bucket) :) Just thought this would be an interesting topic to discuss.

2011/11/11 7:21Profile

Re: Biblical Remedies?

I am quite sick with a cold this week too... perhaps you gave it to me? A computer virus perhaps?? This thing started on Sunday and is still going full tilt today (Friday). Let's pray for one another... I am MORE than ready to be rid of this cold!! I need some relief.

I do not know of any Biblical remedies for such a thing, but for overall health the Levitical Laws concerning food are always a healthier way to live. No pork products, red meat, shell fish, etc... you will live healthier than most Americans if you follow that diet.

Do so for the health of it, not the spiritual. There is nothing in the Law for us now spiritually speaking other than the principles found within.

As for your cold, the old timers around here would suggest a shot of moonshine. I'm sticking to TheroFlu.

Krispy

2011/11/11 8:00
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

How is the Theraflu working for you? I about bought some the other day but my wife told me I didn't need it :)

2011/11/11 8:02Profile

Re:

It does better than most, I think. It goes down pretty nasty. It says "Berry Infused Flavor with Green Tea"... I disagree with this. I dont know how to describe the flavor without being vulgar... but within 10 mins you can feel it start to kick in, so it's worth it.

Krispy

2011/11/11 8:53
MaryJane

Re:

Thought I would chime in here. For a sore throat you can sip warm water with lemon and honey. It does help sooth the throat. For a stuffy head one treatment that helps me is to put on a kettle of water get it boiling and then place it on a towel on the table, cover your head and the kettle with another towel and just breath in the steam through your nose. You will be breathing better in no time but make sure you have a box of tissue near by because this will help clear the passages. Also don't hold your face right down in the steam because you don't want to burn yourself, just over the steam works best. I use a product called emergen C vitamin supplement every time someone in my house gets the stuffy head. Its a powder drink that you add to water and its got tons of vitamins in it. It helps your immune system and gives you a boost of energy to keep going through out the day. I think its because of the vitamin B that is in it.

I also find that prayer and lots of time resting as you can helps too.

Will be praying for you both.
God Bless
maryjane

2011/11/11 9:15Profile
passerby

Re:

For allergic rhinitis, those once a day antihistamines like loratadine or cetirizine will work better, but for common colds combination drugs like Theraflu can be more helpful.

Relief of minor illnesses maybe is a sleep or few cents away, but it is another story to have a chronic debilitating or a fatal illness.

Some were seemingly so well and healthy and yet they die suddenly even for a disease, and some are sick and weak for years and yet they are still alive.

Medical science is an amazing gift to human beings but those in Christ may....and it is there for the asking.

2011/11/11 9:26Profile
dietolive

Good points so far. Avoid toxic meats, take antioxidents, like Vitamin C, steam bath to clear air passages, all Good.

One more biblical remedy: SUNLIGHT. Specifically, the thing that sunlight produces: Vitamin D. The problem however for those of us who live at higher lattitudes, is that the autumn and wintertime sun doesn't rise high enough in the sky for enough of the ultraviolet "B" rayes to get throught the earth's atmosphere and to our skin, where "vitamin" D is produced.

THIS is the answer to the great mystery of why we tend to get more "colds" when it is "cold", by the way.

So, we need to suppliment by eating foods rich in Vitamin D, or by taking it in pill form:

Vitamin D, vitamin D, and vitamin D - 5,000 IU per day. More when one is ill.

But it isn't a vitamin. Recent research (within the last 10 years or so), has discovered that Vitamin D is really not a vitamin at all, but a steroid hormone.

Below is quick paste from mercola.com. Go there to read more:

"Vitamin D is a steroid hormone that influences virtually every cell in your body, and is easily one of nature's most potent cancer fighters. Receptors that respond to vitamin D have been found in nearly every type of human cell, from your bones to your brain.

Your organs can convert the vitamin D in your bloodstream into calcitriol, which is the hormonal or activated version of vitamin D. Your organs then use it to repair damage, including damage from cancer cells and tumors. Vitamin D's protective effect against cancer works in multiple ways, including:

•Increasing the self-destruction of mutated cells (which, if allowed to replicate, could lead to cancer)
•Reducing the spread and reproduction of cancer cells
•Causing cells to become differentiated (cancer cells often lack differentiation)
•Reducing the growth of new blood vessels from pre-existing ones, which is a step in the transition of dormant tumors turning cancerous"

Be "well" Brothers and Sisters :O)
Doug

2011/11/11 9:43Profile

Re:

Quote:
and lots of time resting as you can helps too

Yea, thats my biggest problem. No rest. I'm running 90mph all the time. I overdid it last night at an event my wife and I had to go to. Was feeling better yesterday afternoon, but after last night I feel worse this morning again. Gonna take some Nyquil later this afternoon and sleep in in the morning.

Krispy

2011/11/11 9:44
dietolive

Re: Krispy

Right Brother. Lack of Sleep. This is one of the biggest contributors to sickness and eventual early-death.

We need to shut down all the electronics and just go to bed...

2011/11/11 9:50Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

CHICKEN SOUP!! The heat and steam help so much!

Almost every person that I know that has had the their Vit D level checked, it is notoriously low, it was for me as well.

I used to get sick every year a couple of times a year and could almost set the calendar to it but to God be all the glory since I've been taking Vit D3 (3-4 years), I might have had some sniffles but praise God I've not been sick. I take 5000 iu's a day and the Vit D council says....

...these are only estimated amounts.

Healthy children under the age of 1 years – 1,000 IU.
Healthy children over the age of 1 years – 1,000 IU per every 25 lbs of body weight.
Healthy adults and adolescents – at least 5,000 IU.
Pregnant and lactating mothers - at least 6,000 IU.

Hope this helps, God bless,
Lisa

2011/11/11 10:03Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy