SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Believing God has a Plan for Your Life Might Improve Mental Health

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
flameoffire

Michigan

Believing God has a Plan for Your Life Might Improve Mental Health

While many of us may have issues with unconditionally telling people that God has a wonderful plan for their life (see Ray Comfort's free book:http://www.freewonderfulbook.com/), having a "warm relationship with God" and believing that God has a plan for your life may reduce mental issues.

From The Biblical World by John Byron
http://thebiblicalworld.blogspot.com/2011/11/believing-god-has-plan-for-your-life.html

Believing God has a plan for your life might improve your mental health.

One of the famous evangelism lines of Campus Crusade for Christ is: God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life. And while the four spiritual laws might help you find salvation and escape eternal punishment, who would've thought that believing in a God's plan might also improve your mental health?

The third portion of the Baylor University Survey on Religion has been released with some interesting results. According the the survey, if you believe that God has a plan for your life you than you are more likely to be poor and less educated. On the other hand, you are less likely to have mental heath issues.

Most Americans (73.2%) believe that God has a plan for them. Those who feel strongly that God has something wonderful in store for them tend to have lower incomes and less education (p.2-5).

Heaven is a more popular notion than Hell. Nearly two-thirds of American adults (62%) absolutely believe that Heaven exists, whereas barely half (51%) express the same certainty about the existence of Hell (p.26).

Those who believe in a very engaged God who is involved in the world and in people’s lives fared better insofar as mental health matters included in the survey when compared to those who believe in a very judgmental God who is critical, punishing, and angered by sin (p.14-15).

Respondents who strongly believe they have a warm relationship with God report 31 percent fewer mental issues, on average.

Those who strongly believe God knows when they need support report 19 percent fewer mental health issues, on average.

Those who strongly believe that God is responsive to them report 19 percent fewer mental health issues.

Respondents who strongly believe God’s love never fails report 17 percent fewer mental health issues, on average.

What do you make of these numbers? Does believing in God or a plan of God help people to find an anchor in their life?

2011/11/7 8:25Profile

Re: Believing God has a Plan for Your Life Might Improve Mental Health

God does have a wonderful plan for your life... but it just may be that your flesh doesnt agree that it's wonderful!! His plan could involve persecution, hardship, starvation and an early death. To Him (and to you once you reach your final destination) it IS wonderful.

The idea that He has a wonderful plan for lives that include happiness and prosperity might help people's mental health... but it's based on a lie. I would rather not have mental happiness but have TRUTH!

Many already question my mental health anyway.

Krispy

2011/11/7 8:50
flameoffire

Michigan

Re:

I agree, though I don't necessarily think that these people are deceived. Health doesn't come from a lie. There's peace of mind in knowing that God is in control, that He is benevolent and loves us and that He works all things out for our good.

2011/11/7 9:02Profile

Re:

No, sometimes He does bless with good health and material possessions. What I am saying is that that is not a promise to God's children. Sometimes His perfect and good plan involved just the opposite.

And hard times are not always Him disciplining us either. We tend to look at hard times as punishment. It's not always the case. True, many times we bring hard times upon ourselves... but if you are His child... He works all things together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purposes... just as you said.

Krispy

2011/11/7 9:51
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

QUOTE:
"God does have a wonderful plan for your life... but it just may be that your flesh doesnt agree that it's wonderful!! His plan could involve persecution, hardship, starvation and an early death. To Him (and to you once you reach your final destination) it IS wonderful."

Absolutely true. The difficulty is in understanding this in the midst of your trials.

Last Thursday a friend of ours was killed in a car accident because of a speeding driver who failed to stop at a stop sign. Four years ago a son was killed in a car accident because of a speeding driver. Now, how would you, would I respond if I would be this widow, or the child of this dad? Could I still trust the LORD? In these seemingly tragic accidents we must know and believe that it was approved by God and the circumstances are there to teach somebody something. Someone will benefit but at some people's expense. Can we handle that?

(As a side note to this happening. On Sunday morning the driver, and his parents visited the widow and her two surviving children at the house. He came to apologize..he was in deep mental, spiritual agony because of his role in bring about the death of this beloved husband and dad. He could not eat or sleep since the accident...He got up and went to the widow and the two children, pulled them into an embrace and together they just cried - hard. Forgiveness was sought and I am sure it was given, but it will be so hard...The daughter said the last time we were ignorant about the grief we had to go through, but this time we KNOW. Was this in God's plan for them? Who knows, but it just might be that this is the only way to reach someone who otherwise could not have been helped...Is God still good? If we look at life, death from his perspective, it is and that is the clue we need to view life.)

Yes, God is still good...whenever I say that I sense some rebuke in my spirit, but am a a loss to explain His goodness otherwise. What am I comparing God to or with that gives me the authority to declare Him good??!! SIGH

ginnyrose

2011/11/7 10:30Profile
dietolive

Re: Krispy and ginnyrose

So true Brother and Sister... God has a plan for our life, and it may not be the most pleasant one we could imagine. How hard is it for the flesh to accept this? How hard is it for us to say "Thank you Lord", for everything?

oh the suffering of this life, and then when you think that you are really suffering, you see what others are going through, and you know your suffering is but a mere trifling thing...

Doug

2011/11/7 10:40Profile
Leeza

Re: Believing God has a Plan for Your Life Might Improve Mental Health

God's providence is the only safe haven for our weary souls.

2011/11/7 11:08Profile
flameoffire

Michigan

Re:

2 Corinthians 1:8-9
English Standard Version (ESV)
8For we do not want you to be ignorant, brothers,[a] of the affliction we experienced in Asia. For we were so utterly burdened beyond our strength that we despaired of life itself. 9Indeed, we felt that we had received the sentence of death. But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead.

Paul clearly attributes persecution specifically but suffering in general to God's providence, but goes on to redefine it as part of Christian maturity making them rely on God and trust in His power to raise the dead. Jesus came to give abundant life (John 10:10), trusting Him to do that and relying on Him to give life overcomes the anguish of suffering and despair.

Truly God does have a wonderful plan for our life, a plan of hope and a future, a plan to prosper and bless us spiritually in this life as we receive every spiritual blessing in Christ (Ephesians 1:3). If our heart and mind are set on things above, suffering is redeemed in the knowledge of God's love, grace and the weight of glory. This is a wonderful plan for our lives that goes on forever.

God does not abuse His children. We carry death in our bodies and at times in our circumstances, but these things are redeemed as they are shed away and we approach the radiance of Christ.

2011/11/7 11:37Profile

Re:

We make the mistake of thinking of our "life" in earthly terms. "God has a wonderful plan" is true from God's perspective... when we hear about that we tend to think in terms of from the cradle to the grave. Our mind automatically thinks of our earthly life, and how God's plan effects us... until we die.

BUT... we dont die! We go on! God's plan for our lives is not limited to the 75 yrs or so that we live on this dirt ball.

What is 75 years compared to eternity? And to be honest I dont think we will remember much about this life on the other side anyway. #1 it will drastically pale in comparison to the glory we will experience there, and #2 there will be no sorrow or tears there... and when I am there and if I look back at the miserable excuse for a Christian that I am here on this earth... I would no doubt feel sorrow! So I dont know that we're even going to remember much about this existence here.

We need to start thinking in terms of eternity.

Krispy

2011/11/7 11:52
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

I believe my submission to the Lord totally determines my destiny, rather good or bad,healthy or prosperous. If we "truly" summit our life to Christ, then regardless of what happens in our life it's all for our good. The thing about submission is, you have to be real careful and listen real closely and stay in Prayer. Some get hung up in the downtrodden, when the Lord puts them through this season. When the healthy and prosperous seasons come around, they have a hard time believing it's of the Lord, and want to stay bogged down and downtrodden, because they think this is their destiny to be this way. I have witnessed folks that have let this happen. Never put the Lord in a box, always hope and Pray for the best in life, but be willing to summit ourselves to each season he has us in. Remember there is a reason for the season, maybe we don't condone it or like it, but our hope and joy in this season should rest in the Lord, knowing seasons do change. I know most of us have witnessed Christians that God is Blessing their socks off, but refuse to accept it and smile and be joyful, they want to stay downtrodden, even in the mist of a season of prosperity, health and joy. I have a good friend just like this, it's sad to watch him walk around with his prosperity and health, always Preaching to others on how he did not have anything when he was growing up, HELLO! maybe this is why God is Blessing you now, because of your obedience and submission in every season, SMILE, REJOICE be GLAD in it, it might be a short season. Why is it so hard for some Christians to believe that God just might,just might, need to have them in prosperity and health and joy to use them? can he "only" use the downtrodden? if he can only use the downtrodden Christian, does this mean if your a rich, well, and joyful Christian he cannot use you? or if your rich and joyful and in good health your not a Christian? No one but you knows what Christ wants for your life, disregard people in your life that tell you differently, Christ prepares all of our seasons, not man. Just like you accepted Christ into your life, you must be willing to accept what he has for you. If your experiencing prosperity,health and joy in your life right now, rejoice in it, don't hang your head,is that anyway to show the Father your appreciation? But on the other hand, if your going through a downtrodden season, rejoice in it also, knowing it's only for a season, and the length of all seasons are determined by God, not man.

2011/11/7 12:06Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy