SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The blessing of cal vs arm!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
brothagary

Re:

some amasing words from the weasly to us ,reagrding whitfield ,,and others in this day who except the doctrine of calvinisim

O Thou God of love, how long shall Thy people be a by-word among the Heathen? How long shall they laugh us to scorn, and say, "See how these Christians love one another!" When wilt Thou roll away our reproach? Shall the sword devour for ever? How long will it be ere Thou bid Thy people return from "following each other?" Now, at least, "let all the people stand still, and pursue after their brethren no more!" But what ever others do, let all of us, my brethren, hear the voice of him that, being dead, yet speaks! Suppose ye hear him say, "Now, at least, be ye followers of me as I was of Christ! Let brother "no more lift up sword against brother, neither know ye war any more!" Rather put ye on, as the elect of God, bowels of mercies, humbleness of mild, brotherly kindness, gentleness, long- suffering, forbearing one another in love. Let the time past suffice for strife, envy, contention; for biting and devouring one another. Blessed be God, that ye have not long ago been consumed one of another! From henceforth hold ye the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace."

10. O God, with Thee no word is impossible! Thou does whatsoever please Thee! O that Thou would cause the mantle of Thy prophet, whom Thou hast taken up, now to fall upon us that remain! "Where is the Lord God of Elijah?" Let his spirit rest upon these Thy servants! Show Thou art the God that answers by fire! Let the fire of Thy love fall on every heart! And because we love Thee, let us love one another with a "love stronger than death!" Take away from us "all anger, and wrath, and bitterness; all clamor and evil speaking!" Let Thy Spirit so rest upon us, that from this hour we may be "kind to each other, tender-hearted, forgiving one another, even as God, for Christ's sake hath forgiven us!"

lets esteme others as better then our self a wise saing from paul

weasly said "The character of this truly pious person must be [deeply] impressed on the heart of every friend to vital religion. In spite of a tender [and delicate] constitution, he continued to the last day of his life, preaching with a frequency and fervor that seemed to exceed the natural strength of the most robust. Being called to the exercise of his function at an age when most young men are only beginning to qualify themselves for it, he had not time to make a very considerable progress in the learned languages. But this defect was amply supplied by a lively and fertile genius, by fervent zeal, and by a forcible and most persuasive delivery. And though in the pulpit he often found it needful by "the terrors of the Lord" to "persuade men," he had nothing gloomy in his nature; being singularly cheerful, as well as charitable and tender-hearted. He was as ready to relieve the bodily as the spiritual necessities of those that applied to him. It ought also to be observed, that he constantly enforced upon his audience every moral duty; particularly industry in their several callings, and obedience to their superiors. He endeavored, by the most extraordinary efforts of preaching, in different places, and even in the open fields, to rouse the lower class of people from the last degree of inattention and ignorance to a sense of religion. For this, and his other labors, the name of GEORGE WHITEFIELD will long be remembered with esteem and veneration."

2011/11/5 17:55Profile
brothagary

Re:

weasly said . I may close this head with observing what an honor it pleased God to put upon His faithful servant, by allowing him to declare His everlasting gospel in so many various countries, to such numbers of people, and with so great an effect on so many of their precious souls! Have we read or heard of any person since the Apostles, who testified the gospel of the grace of God through so widely extended a space, through so large a part of the habitable world? Have we read or heard of any person who called so many thousands, so many myriads, of sinners to repentance? Above all, have we read or heard of any who has been a blessed instrument in His hand of bringing so many sinners from "darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God?" It is true, were we to talk thus to the gay world, we should be judged to speak as barbarians. But you understand the language of the country to which you are going, and whither our dear friend is gone a little before us.

2011/11/5 18:02Profile

Re:

I used to loathe Calvinism... I even debated Calvinists here on this forum a long time ago.

Now I am strongly in the Calvanist camp of theology, BUT I prefer to think of myself as being of the same flavor as Charles Spurgeon. I think his heart and compassion for the lost spoke volumes about how God wants us to approach the gospel.

Also, having been in both theological camps I can also say with absolute certainty that most Arminians do not understand and totally mischaracterize Calvinism... and the same can be said about most Calvinists to Arminianism.

Dave Hunt is a great example of this. He does not represent the best of the Arminian side of the debate. Some of the statements he makes about Calvinism are so outrageous it's laughable. Actually his book catipulted me toward Calvinism because as I read it I kept thinking to myself "Surely Calvinists dont really believe this." Sure enough... they dont. He put Reformed Theologians in the same camp with "Hyper" Calvinism, and they are two different animals all together.

People tell me all the time "You're a Calvinist? So you dont believe in evangelism!" Well where in the world did you get that idea? Certainly not from the Bible, and certainly not from the teachers and preachers I listen to! (But before I came over to the "dark side" that was my impression of Calvinism too... but guess what... IT'S NOT TRUE!)

I know when I rejected Calvinism I would take something some obscure "hyper" calvinist said that was so obviously wrong... and apply it to what good teachers like MacArthur or Sproul or Piper taught... when all along I discovered later... no, they reject that too!

There is a lot of good things shared on this forum, but there is also a LOT of ignorance shared as well. I have been an offender when it comes to that as well. On one hand it's good that we can come here and learn, but on the other hand it's not so good because most folks only read part of what someone writes and then thats it... and they either walk away with a partial truth or lie... or they draw the wrong conclusion about someone.

Guilty as charged, I do that at times too... and some folks have called me on it, and they were correct to do that. In fact, I thank you!

I know some think I harp on this too much... but STUDY STUDY STUDY!!! It's popular today to say "Oh I hate theology and doctrine, I just love Jesus and I love everybody!"

Correction: DO BOTH!!

In scripture the Bereans were commended because they studied the Word of God daily to be sure what they were being taught was true. We are also encouraged to "Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." (2 Timothy 2:15 KJV)

I would dare say that it's impossible to love God and love others properly and Biblically unless you DO study and know the Word. Yes, God puts that love in your heart when you are saved, but He also commands you to go on in your salvation and grow. How do you do that? By studying His Word.... not just praying in tongues. (You can speak in tongues until your tongue falls out of your head, but if you do not study His Holy Word daily and with ferver... you will NOT grow.)

What you end up with when you love without truth is you get some sort of syruppy emotionalism that never lasts. Like puppy love when you were 13. Those of us who have been married for a couple decades understand that love is much much more than that, and at times it's a decision we have to make! It's because we have matured and we have learned and grown together.

So it is with our relationship with the heavenly Father.

Just in case there is any doubt, let me assure everyone here that I believe that Arminiains are my brothers! So are Pentecostals... and Charismatics. If you have been truly saved and regenerated by the Spirit of God then you are my brother.

But also understand that TRUTH does matter. Read the book of Jude.

When you're done with that I also recommend The Truth War by John MacArthur, and Who Are You To Judge by Erwim Lutzer.

Happy Sunday!

Krispy

2011/11/6 6:27
looserchapel

Brest, France

Re:

2011/11/6 9:59Profile
dietolive

Re: Krispy

Good post Krispy.

I appreciate your spirit Bro.

Be well today,
Doug

2011/11/6 10:01Profile

Re:

Doug... I do my best thinking and writing at 5am. lol...

Krispy

2011/11/7 7:57
dietolive

Re: Krispy

Brother Krispy, we seem to have traveled a similar path, and have come to opposite conclusions...

I began my life as a sincere Christian in a Calvinistic church. In those days, “Arminians” were simply fools who didn’t know what the word “eternal” meant in “eternal life.” We laughed at those “fools” then... But deep down inside, my spirit was never free with the evil-speaking... It seemed wrong to me to mock other true believers in the Lord Jesus, even if their conclusions were strange to me, especially since I was ignorant of their reasons for coming to them.

Subsequently, I made a study of Doctrine, as well as a study of the History of Doctrine. Both were highly revealing. I learned how both sides used the Scriptures, what presuppositions they brought to them; what methods they used to catechize their converts, and what techniques they used to combat the opposing system. I also learned where the various doctrines came from in the first place: who first taught them, and how those doctrines progressed, changed, were mixed together, and refined through time and place.

And here we all are today... We have all come up through various modern denominations, and each hold, more or less, to the dominant prevailing doctrines of each. And if we think about it, we are TIED up to our doctrines in more ways than one. We are tied by our PRIDE, (for who wants to admit he was wrong after publically staking out a position?) And even if we could get over that hurdle by the power of God, and were able to seriously reconsider our doctrine and practice should overwhelming evidence “demand” it, we must then fear alienating our own families, our friends, and our local Church. Truly, we risk losing everything in this world we hold dear should we choose “TRUTH” before them...

You said:
“Also, having been in both theological camps I can also say with absolute certainty that most Arminians do not understand and totally mischaracterize Calvinism... and the same can be said about most Calvinists to Arminianism.”

This is so true. I have often thought that if both sides actually sat down like the noble Bereans, and simply spoke together with open hearts and minds, they would come to perfect agreement, because they would be READY to BELIEVE the doctrine, whatever it was the Scriptures literally said:

“These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with ALL READINESS OF MIND, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.” Acts 17:11

Sadly, most “discussion” today is between two opponents who are not “READY TO BELIEVE ALL THINGS”, should the most natural interpretation of the words of Scripture demand it.

What hinders us, dear Brother, but the PRIDE of our hearts, and the fear of the alienation of our family and friends and Church? These are the true obstacles to removing this disunity, this “Calvinism vs. Arminianism Debate” that has plagued the true Church of Jesus Christ for the past 500 years or so.

I see dear Brother, that like me, you too have spent years in a home-church; you too have had to change your views... You too have had to lose friends and your Church. We know what that pain is like, don’t we, dear Brother?

Be well today my friend,
Doug

2011/11/7 10:29Profile

Re:

Always learning, Doug... if we stay teachable there is no telling where God will lead us.

It's interesting, if you are here on this forum as long as I have been there is an ebb and flow to things. Right now those with an arminian bent are in great number here... but a few years ago I was challenged almost daily by calvinists here. Theological bents kinda come and go on here.

Krispy

2011/11/7 13:12
jimp

Re:

hi, i have a strange theology coming from a strong calvistic backround... the future is all whosoever will and the past is predestined from the foundation of the earth.i walked up to a door one day and it said enter and when i turned around after going in ,it said exit.jimp one day a bible col. prof asked if a traffic light can be red and green at the same time and the class said no and he said that they are always red and green at the same time, it depended upon how you approached it.

2011/11/7 14:05Profile
dietolive

Re: Krispy & jimp

Krispy said:
"Always learning, Doug... if we stay teachable there is no telling where God will lead us."

Yes Bro... if we stay teachable, and are willing to lose everything for Christ's sake if necessary, there is no telling where God will lead us.

An awesome and terrifying thought if we really think about it. Yet, our "God is a consuming fire", and what is our flesh, dear brothers, but fuel for that FIRE?

May God bless you Brothers, and may He help you and me both!

Be well,
Doug

2011/11/7 16:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy