Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The DE Liberation of Women

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
makrothumia

Texas

The DE Liberation of Women

The DE – liberation of Women

Now here is a cause worth promoting and celebrating – the DE – liberation of women. Paul promoted women’s Deliberation, and Peter jumped on the bandwagon too. Sadly, the Deliberation of women movement has lost much of its original momentum as the DE has been lost to a great extant. The only place the De liberation of women ever had a strong beginning was in the church, but the DE liberation of women in the church is now a very controversial matter.

Terms often need a definition in order to glean their meaning. DE liberation comes from the French language, the root word being deliberate – a compound of the preposition “de”(of or from) and “libra” (scale). Deliberate therefore applied to things that had been weighed in the scales to access their worth.

Some assume that modern, “liberated” women have increased in worth, but how are we to fully know the worth of women who no longer “weigh on the scale”? Many women have an aversion to scales! This is an area where nearly all women insist upon privacy – unless of course they believe they are doing very well. But enough rabbit trailing – back to our DE liberate topic.

Nowhere is it more evident that women have abandoned Paul and Peter’s DE liberation movement than in the mode of women’s dress. Here we are able to discern the difference between women who once were DE liberated in how they dress but are now simply liberated. There is no disputing that Paul and Peter would both be greatly disturbed at this trend, for both of these two spirit-filled apostles were staunch DE liberationists.
Their instructions on women’s dress called for careful DE liberation in the choices that women were to make while adorning themselves. A simple word study on the appropriate biblical passages will substantiate this unequivocably (without a doubt). Both of these distinguished church founders wanted women to dress DE liberately – weighing carefully their choice of attire. I will not delve into the specific cautions included in their instructions, but would strongly encourage those who are still with me to examine them on your own.

What I will say is that SIN happens when women fail to dress DE liberately; yes, many miss the mark simply because they have not carefully weighed what they put on. Improper dress can be due to “intentional” or “unintentional” factors, but the effects of either were the apostles concern. That is why they both exhorted Christ honoring women to dress DE liberately.

In order to restore the DE liberation of women movement in our churches and our homes, we will have to give careful consideration and pay close attention to this subject, awkwardness or difficulty notwithstanding. Pastors, Dads, and Moms, those under our care may not be “intentionally” dressing inappropriately, but without instruction DE liberate dressing will likely never occur. If our wives and or our daughters are not dressing DE liberately, be a Parent, and exercise our God given calling to oversee those under us. If we see attire that has not been carefully “weighed” – DE Liberated – our place is to help.

This is one area where the “liberation” of women will never produce true freedom. Virtuous women of faith do not seek liberation from God’s council; the liberty they seek is “from” conformity to the world never “to” it. Godly women will always be very DE liberate in how they dress.

DE liberated women do not fear the oppression or opinion of men. DE liberated women are empowered by God Himself to throw off any unjust oppression of man-made tradition or rules, but a DE liberated woman will never throw out the godly concerns of the apostles of Jesus Christ. Virtuous women always weigh everything they do very carefully – in word, in deed and in dress.

makrothumia

2011/11/4 14:28Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: The DE Liberation of Women

Love it, Alan!

2011/11/4 15:10Profile
makrothumia

Texas

Re:

I know this note from a dear brother will bless many.

> I appreciated the article. I have several young women in my family (5 daughters, aged 15-21) all of which are in the process of defining who they are and what defines their value. I recently was impressed to write them a few letters to help them in this process. The three things I exhorted them on were:
>
> 1) Nurture a respectful, yet vibrant spirit
>
> 2) Embrace God’s definition of true beauty
>
> 3) Glory in the Lord
>
>
>
> Below is a portion of my letter to them on point #2. I share it with you for your edification, and as an “amen” to your loving and helpful exhortation to us all in this article on de-liberated women (who really are the Free).
>
>
>
> Dave
>
>
>
> One contemporary author has set forth the idea that one of God’s purposes in creating woman was to place the crowning touch of beauty on His creation: that the Beauty that exists and finds it’s origins in Him alone is most fully expressed in Eve, and in her daughters. I think that that author is on to something. In Adam (and men, in general), certain of God’s qualities are set on prominent display – such as strength, courage, vision – the traits of God that we categorize as masculine. Yet in Eve (womankind), the feminine qualities are set forth: gentleness, softness, nurture, etc. Now, don’t be mistaken: just as there is nothing worse to meet than a mother bear robbed of her cubs, Eve can fight! And fight she must. Here again, we see that femininity is not passivity. But let’s just accept the truth that He made them male and female. Yet both feminine and masculine have their origins in God Himself. (Know for a surety that in our day there is a spiritual assault on even this very distinction – that of the distinction between the sexes. But that is a discussion for another day.) The Lord “goes forth like a mighty man,…like a man of war: He shall cry, yea roar, He shall prevail against His enemies.” (Is 42:13. Yet our Lord Jesus wept over Jerusalem, wanting to gather her like a mother hen gathers her chicks under her wings.
>
>
>
> But as we looked at last time, the qualities and strengths bestowed upon us can be misused (like our pastor’s wife, who “chewed up men and spit them out”) . So, to get to the point of this morning’s meditation, let’s select two teaching passages in the NT:
>
>
>
> 1 Tim 2: 8I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting. 9In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; 10But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.
>
> 1 Pet 3:1Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; 2While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear. 3Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; 4But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price. 5For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands: 6Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement.
>
> There is implicit in these two passages – one from Paul and one from Peter – an indication of where women face a great (if not their greatest) battle. As men are tempted to trust in their strength, wisdom, or riches (see Jer 9:23, 24), women are tempted to place their trust in their beauty to “save” them: to provide them a feeling of completeness, to give them their worth, or provide them identity and acceptance. But beauty is a vain hope. Remember the words of the wise mother: Pr. 31:30Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised. Don’t accept the lie that is so prevalent in our world (though it really is an old lie): that your worth is based on your outward beauty.
>
> God has designed you, though, to prominently display beauty as part of His Design for both Creation and the Church. Beauty that can be both seen and felt. This is a tremendous honor! But here is the point of these two NT teaching passages: The glory and influence of the beauty that God want to display through you (women in general) is rooted in your hearts. It starts with faith in God (“professing godliness”; “trusted in God”), and is manifest through “good works” (1 Tim 2:10), godly behavior and respect (1 Pet 3:2), a meek and quiet spirit (But don’t read “passive” here in 1 Pet 3:4, OK?), as well as this: a deliberate downplaying of the value of outward beauty and reserve concerning outward adornment. This does not mean that God places a premium on frumpiness, or that He wants you to make yourself outwardly unattractive. Just look at a flower and see its beauty and smell its fragrance, and you’ll know that God delights in natural, outward beauty. But more than one godly man has agreed with me in this assertion: that there is nothing more beautiful in all of creation than a happy, contented woman. Why is that? It is because the truest beauty flows from within your heart. And the tragedy of believing the lie of your Adversary – that your outward beauty is what matters most – is that as you yield your hearts to believe that your outward beauty matters most, your true inner beauty suffers accordingly. In plainer words, the more you worry about how you look, the true fountain of your beauty dries up.
>
> God will use your beauty to change the world, girls. Live for His glory, and not your own; embrace the nature of true, essential beauty and New Testament living concerning this truth. Pursue a life of passion and purpose – make your life count! The world does not need any more vain “pretties”, seeking the praise of men while draining others of life. Find your acceptance in Christ alone, continually, and then give the life you find in Him to others in His name.

2011/11/4 15:28Profile
dietolive

Re: The DE Liberation of Women

Encouraging words, both. Thank you for taking the time to post them.

Be well Brother,
Doug

2011/11/4 15:43Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Meekness. Many equate it with weakness. But what does the scripture say about meekness? Moses is called the meekest man in the WORD and what was he like?

Someone has defined meekness as strength in control by its possessor. In other words, you do not fly off the handle when you get taxed emotionally! Moses did fly off the handle one time and it cost him the right to enter the promised land.

I always think of this when I get so very upset and want to whoop someone, usually an adult... SIGH

2011/11/4 17:50Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy