SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Tozer quotes

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
El-Bethel

Tozer quotes

Tozer quotes….

The seriousness of a crime is measured by whom it is committed against. The smallest sin committed against an infinite God is an infinite sin worthy of death.

If you think you aren't attractive, remember that God values one who fears the Lord.

If they shut you out because you aren’t “one of them”, take that as a blessing from Heaven. God rewards those who are persecuted for His name.

Your closest friends should be believers. Spend most of your time with them, not unbelievers. Pursue friendships with people who love Christ even more than you.

-Seek a spouse only in the Lord. One of the strongest fires in the world is the fire of emotions and feelings. Infatuation is blind – you may love the Lord, but your feelings may say that you also long to marry someone who does not share the same love for your Savior. If you fall for this deception, believe me, this will lead to one of the biggest tragedies of your life. Even for the success stories where the unbelieving spouse ends up saved, those people will never know what glorious things God had in store for them (and they missed out on) if the believing spouse had just waited and prayed. Only the Day of Judgment will tell of these mysteries.

Endure... Don't be discouraged. Victory will come with perseverance. Never ever, EVER give up on living the Christian life and pursuing purity NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES YOU FALL. Always repent. If you don’t turn your back on God He won’t turn His back on you.

The law of the leader--that he can lead others only as far as he himself has gone....

Cattle are driven; sheep are led; and our Lord compares His people to sheep, not to cattle.

It is better to offend men than to grieve the blessed Spirit of God which dwells in the church.

Stay with God in the secret place longer than we are with men in the public place and the fountain of our wisdom will never dry up.

Keep our hearts open to the inflowing Spirit and we will not become exhausted by the outflow.

Cultivate the acquaintance of God more than the friendship of men and we will always have abundance of bread to give to the hungry.

Our first responsibility is not to the public but to God and our own souls.

No man should stand before an audience who has not first stood before God.

Many hours of communion should precede one hour in the pulpit.

The prayer chamber should be more familiar than the public platform. Prayer should be continuous, preaching but intermittent.

No man has any moral right to go before the people who has not first been long before the Lord.

No man has any right to speak to men about God who has not first spoken to God about men.

And the prophet of God should spend more time in the secret place praying than he spends in the public place preaching....

The field must be soaked in sunshine over a long period before it will give forth its treasures. The Christian's heart must be soaked in prayer before the true spiritual fruits begin to grow.

Prayer at its holiest moment is the entering into God to a place of such blessed union as makes miracles seem tame and remarkable answers to prayer appear something very far short of wonderful by comparison.

The heart seldom gets hot while the mouth is open.

A closed mouth before God and silent heart are indispensable for the reception of certain kinds of truth.

No man is qualified to speak who has not first listened.

God has not placed Himself under obligation to honor the requests of worldly, carnal or disobedient Christians. He hears and answers the prayers only of those who walk in His way...1 John 3:21-22; John 15:7)...

The truth is that God always answers the prayer that accords with His will as revealed in the Scriptures, provided the one who prays is obedient and trustful. Further than this we dare not go.

"Listen to no man who fails to listen to God."...

No man has any right to offer advice who has not first heard God speak. No man has any right to counsel others who is not ready to hear and follow the counsel of the Lord. True moral wisdom must always be an echo of God's voice. The only safe light for our path is the light which is reflected from Christ, the Light of the World....

God has His chosen men still, and they are without exception good listeners. They can hear when the Lord speaks. We may safely listen to such men. But to no others.

It is a solemn thing, and no small scandal in the Kingdom, to see God's children starving while actually seated at the Father's table.

if any person is determined to preach so that his work and ministry will abide in the day of the judgment fire, then he must preach, teach and exhort with the kind of love and concern that comes only through a genuine gift of the Holy Spirit--something beyond his own capabilities.

The Christian church was designed to make sinners sweat. I have always believed that, and I still believe it. The messages preached in our churches should make backslidden Christians sweat. And if I achieve that objective when I preach, I thank God with all of my heart, no matter what people think of me. Jesus Is Victor!

No man is better for knowing that God in the beginning created the heaven and the earth. The devil knows that, and so did Ahab and Judas Iscariot. No man is better for knowing that God so loved the world of men that He gave His only begotten Son to die for their redemption. In hell there are millions who know that. Theological truth is useless until it is obeyed.

the man who preaches truth and applies it to the lives of his hearers will feel the nails and the thorns. He will lead a hard life, but a glorious one. May God raise up many such prophets. The church needs them badly.

No man is a good preacher who is not willing to lay his future on the line every time he expounds the Word. He must let his job and his reputation ride on each and every sermon or he has no right to think that he stands in the prophetic tradition.

No one can know truth except the one who obeys truth.

In many churches Christianity has been watered down until the solution is so weak that if it were poison it would not hurt anyone, and if it were medicine it would not cure anyone!

The whole import and substance of the Bible teaches us that the God who does not need any thing nevertheless desires the adoration and worship of His created children.

Vocabularies are formed by many minds over long periods and are capable of expressing whatever the mind is capable of entertaining. But when the heart, on its knees, moves into the awesome Presence and hears with fear and wonder things not lawful to utter, then the mind falls flat, and words, previously its faithful servants, become weak and totally incapable of telling what the heart hears and sees. In that awful moment the worshiper can only cry "Oh!" And that simple exclamation becomes more eloquent than learned speech and, I have no doubt, is dearer to God than any oratory.

I can safely say, on the authority of all that is revealed in the Word of God, that any man or woman on this earth who is bored and turned off by worship is not ready for heaven.

I would rather worship God than do any other thing I know of in all this wide world. I mean it when I say that…

When the Holy Ghost shows us God as He is we admire Him to the point of wonder and delight.

I believe that the reverential fear of God mixed with love and fascination and astonishment and admiration and devotion is the most enjoyable state and the most purifying emotion the human soul can know.

The man who has not been humbled in the presence of God will never be a worshiper of God at all.

The whole import and substance of the Bible teaches us that the God who does not need any thing nevertheless desires the adoration and worship of His created children.

The young people are endowed by God Almighty with brilliant intelligence and an amazing store of energy, and because they don't know what to do with it they do the wrong thing. They haven't been redeemed and so they have energy they don't know what to do with; they have capacity they don't know how to use. They have skills and don't know where to put them, and so they go wild. If they had been taught that they came into the world in the first place to worship God and to enjoy Him forever and that when they fell Jesus Christ came to redeem them, to make worshipers out of them, they could by the Holy Ghost and the washing of the blood be made into worshiping saints and things would be so different. Worship: The Missing Jewel, 8-9.

I say that the greatest tragedy in the world today is that God has made man in His image and made him to worship Him, made him to play the harp of worship before the face of God day and night, but he has failed God and dropped the harp. It lies voiceless at his feet.

If you want to pray strategically, in a way which would please God, pray that God might raise up men who would see the beauty of the Lord our God and would begin to preach it and hold it out to people, instead of offering peace of mind, deliverance from cigarettes, a better job and nicer cottage....

David said, "O magnify the Lord with me," and "magnify" doesn't mean to make God big. You can't make God big. But you can see Him big. And if there is one terrible disease in the Church of Christ, it is that we do not see God as great as He is.

There is no reason why we could not be a people so filled with the Spirit, so joyfully singing His praises and living so clean in our business and home and school that the people and other churches would know it and recognize it.

"Lord, our church will probably never be an example of great success or size, such as the ones usually held up as models. But please, Lord, enable us to be a model of godliness, Spirit-filled victory, joy, and worship. Amen."

"Never think for a minute that there will be a time when you will not be tempted. He is tempted the most effectively who thinks that he isn't being tempted at all."

I believe that it might be accepted as a fairly reliable rule of thumb that the man who is ambitious to lead is disqualified as a leader.

The true leader will have no wish to lord it over God's heritage, but will be humble, gentle, self-sacrificing, and altogether as ready to follow as to lead when the Spirit makes it plain to him that a wiser and more gifted man than himself has appeared.

This is what I would like to see in our church--the New Testament order of letting Scripture decide matters. When it comes to a question--any question--what does the Word of God say? All belief and practices should be tested by the Word; no copying unscriptural church methods. We should let the Word of God decide.

A look into history will quickly convince any interested person that the true church has almost always suffered more from prosperity than from poverty. Her times of greatest spiritual power have usually coincided with her periods of indigence and rejection; with wealth came weakness and backsliding. If this cannot be explained, neither apparently can it be escaped. . . .

To treat an imperfect brother impatiently is to advertise our own imperfections.

one hundred worshippers meeting together, each one looking away to Christ, are in heart nearer to each other than they could possibly be were they to become "unity" conscious and turn their eyes away from God to strive for closer fellowship.

Social religion is perfected when private religion is purified.

A commitment to preserving the truth and practice of the church is what separates me from a great many people who are perhaps far greater than I am in ability.

This is my conviction, long held and deeply confirmed by a knowledge of the fact that modern gospel churches, almost without exception, have decided to modify the truth and practice a little in order to have more adherents and get along better.

A local church will only be as great as its conception of God. An individual Christian will be a success or a failure depending upon what he or she thinks of God.

Prayer, humility and a generous application of the Spirit of Christ will cure just about any disease in the body of believers. Yet this is usually the last thing we think about when difficulties arise. We often attempt to cure spiritual ills with carnal medicines, and the results are more than disappointing.

The task of the church is twofold: to spread Christianity throughout the world and to make sure that the Christianity she spreads is the pure New Testament kind....
The popular notion that the first obligation of the church is to spread the gospel to the uttermost parts of the earth is false. Her first obligation is to be spiritually worthy to spread it.

Spiritual experiences must be shared. It is not possible for very long to enjoy them alone. The very attempt to do so will destroy them.

The nearer our souls draw to God the larger our love will grow, and the greater our love the more unselfish we shall become and the greater our care for the souls of others. Hence increased spiritual experience, so far as it is genuine, brings with it a strong desire that others may know the same grace that we ourselves enjoy. This leads quite naturally to an increased effort to lead others to a closer and more satisfying fellowship with God....

The impulse to share, to impart, normally accompanies any true encounter with God and spiritual things. The woman at the well, after her soul-inspiring meeting with Jesus, left her water pots, hurried into the city and tried to persuade her friends to come out and meet Him. "Come, see a man," she said, "which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ?" Her spiritual excitement could not be contained within her own heart. She had to tell someone.

Oh, how can we get men and women around us to realize that God Almighty, before the beginning of the world, loved them, and thought about them, planning redemption and salvation and forgiveness?

If we surrender our hearts to God we may expect a wondrous enlargement. And who knows what He can do if we take our hands off and let Him work?

In nature everything moves in the direction of its hungers. In the spiritual world it is not otherwise. We gravitate toward our inward longing, provided of course that those longings are strong enough to move us. Impotent dreaming will not do.

The religious urge that is not followed by a corresponding act of the will in the direction of that urge is a waste of emotion.

What we need is a zealous hunger for God, an avid thirst after righteousness, a pain-filled longing to be Christ like and holy.

That pure love for God and men which expresses itself in a burning desire to advance God's glory and leads to poured-out devotion to the temporal and eternal welfare of our fellow men is certainly approved of God;

Let any man turn to God in earnest, let him begin to exercise himself unto godliness, let him seek to develop his powers of spiritual receptivity by trust and obedience and humility, and the results will exceed anything he may have hoped in his leaner and weaker days.

The man that will have God's best becomes at once the object of the personal attention of the Holy Spirit. Such a man will not be required to wait for the rest of the church to come alive.

Every prophet, every reformer, every revivalist had to meet God alone before he could help the multitudes. The great leaders who went on to turn thousands to Christ had to begin with God and their own soul.

The plain Christian of today must experience personal revival before he can hope to bring renewed spiritual life to his church.

Jonathan Edwards:
'Resolved...that all men would live for the glory of God; resolved, second...that if nobody else does, I will.' Amen."

If we belong to Jesus Christ, we should never compromise our spiritual decisions on the basis of "What is this going to cost me?" We ought only to ask, "What is my spiritual duty and my spiritual privilege before God?"

Prayer is never an acceptable substitute for obedience. The sovereign
Lord accepts no offering from His creatures that is not accompanied by obedience.

To pray for revival while ignoring or actually flouting the plain precept laid down in the Scriptures is to waste a lot of words and get nothing for our trouble.

When faced with a sin, a confession or a moral alteration in our life, we find it much easier to pray half a night than to obey God.

"Oh God, I hereby give myself to You. I give my family. I give my business. I give all I possess. Take all of it, Lord-and take me! I give myself in such measure that if it is necessary that I lose everything for your sake, let me lose it. I will not ask what the price is. I will ask only that I may be all that I ought to be as a follower and disciple of Jesus Christ, my Lord. Amen."

The best repentance for a wrong act, as Fenelon said, is not to do it again....

No passionate profession of love for 'souls' can change evil into good.

The man who has struggled to purify himself and has
had nothing but repeated failures will experience real relief when he stops tinkering with his soul and looks away to the perfect One. While he looks at Christ, the very things he has so long been trying to do will be getting done within him. It will be God working in him
to will and to do. . . .

When the eyes of the soul looking out meet the eyes of God looking in, heaven has begun right here on this earth.

When it comes to religion, the crowds are always wrong. At any time there are a few who see, and the rest are blinded.

For every Elijah there have always been 400 popular prophets of Baal. For every Noah there is always a vast multitude who will not believe it is going to rain.

God may allow His servant to succeed when He has disciplined him to a point where he does not need to succeed to be happy. The man who is elated by success and cast down by failure is still a carnal man. At best his fruit will have a worm in it.

God will allow His servant to succeed when he has learned that success does not make him dearer to God

Faith dares to fail.

2011/11/1 1:24Profile
roadsign

Re: Tozer quotes

Tozer said:

"The impulse to share, to impart, normally accompanies any true encounter with God and spiritual things. The woman at the well, after her soul-inspiring meeting with Jesus, left her water pots, hurried into the city and tried to persuade her friends to come out and meet Him. "Come, see a man," she said, "which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ?" Her spiritual excitement could not be contained within her own heart. She had to tell someone."

Ahh yes! Tozer corrects our tendency to seek the EFFECTS without giving priority to the CAUSE. And so we put the cart before the horse: works before grace. Tozer reorders our thinking. Firstly, preach (proclaim and live) the gospel, because the gospel is the CAUSE. Then the EFFECTS will follow.

Thank you for posting these Tozer quotes!

Diane

2011/11/1 7:58Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re: Tozer quotes

I get a Tozer morning devotional every day on my cell phone. My life has been made richer from the life, truth, and wisdom in these words that can only come from the Spirit of God.

Mike

2011/11/1 8:15Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Thank you for posting these...

2011/11/1 9:25Profile
El-Bethel

Re:

Bro.Mike,

I picked up all these quotes only from the Tozer Daily devotional which I too receive everyday. Really rich and had blessed me too.

2011/11/1 23:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy