SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Renewed II~ Day By Day ~ Devotional ~ A.W.Tozer

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Renewed II~ Day By Day ~ Devotional ~ A.W.Tozer

[b]Preface[/b]

This second volume of brief, timely daily readings from the heart and mind of Dr. A.W. Tozer becomes a companion to the pervious book, Renewed Day by Day, already in its fourth printing.

The compiler and publisher have followed a definite policy not to include any selections in this second volume which were used previously in the first.

Selections have been gleaned largely from Dr. Tozer’s taped sermons, with additional quotations from his own published books and from his incisive editorials while he was the editor of Alliance Life. His helpful personal illustrations, testimonies, spiritual concerns and prayers have been scattered throughout these pages, all glorifying the Person of Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord.

I remember telling you in the preface of the first Renewed Day by Day that Dr. Tozer would often rap your spiritual knuckles. Because much of the material in this second volume was spoken or written by Dr. Tozer nearer the time of his death in 1963, there are more warnings, more concerns for spiritual progress and more emphasis on the believer’s readiness and preparation to meet his coming Lord and King.

Gerald B. Smith
Fort Myers, Florida

2005/1/2 1:48Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

[b]JANUARY 1[/b]

[u]YES, EVERYTHING IS WRONG...
UNTIL JESUS MAKES IT RIGHT[/u]

[i]Having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven. (Colossians 1:20)[/i]

Men and women without God are helpless and hopeless human beings. We do well to remember that sin is to the human nature what cancer is to the human body!

Who can argue with the fact that sin has ruined us?

Our feverish activity is only one sign of what is wrong with us—sin has plunged us into the depths and so marked us with mortality that we have become brother to the clay—but God never meant it to be so.

I recall being invited to speak at a summer conference where much of the emphasis is upon fun and amusement and jokes, something like Hollywood, I suppose. After my sessions there, the pastor-director told me frankly of his wife’s reaction: “Honey, after listening to Dr. Tozer, can it be true that there isn’t anything good in this world?”

Well, I know she had a Bible in her house and I consider her query one of the foolish questions of our times. Of course the world makes its own argument that there are things that can be considered good on the human level—but they belong to us only for a brief day. Nothing is divinely good until it bears the imprint of our Lord Jesus Christ!

Men and women may argue and make excuses, but it does not change the fact that in our human society we are completely surrounded by three marks of the ancient curse: everything is recent, temporal and transient! That is why the Holy Spirit whispers faithfully, reminding us of the Christ of God, eternity walking in flesh, God Almighty come to live among us and to save—actually to give us eternity!

I once preached for a week in the old tabernacle church in New York City’s Times Square. After several days the pastor, Dr. Julian Bandy, a learned brother with a delightful southern drawl, said: “Brother Tozer, I have figured you out. I believe your basic spiritual philosophy is this: `Everything is wrong until Jesus makes it right!’“

I replied, “Thank you, brother. You have summed it up!”

This we know: when we turn our faces toward the Eternal One, asking, “God have mercy on me, a sinner,” we are finally being what God intended us to be in the first place!

A.W.Tozer

2005/1/2 1:51Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

[b]JANUARY 2[/b]

[u]IN THE BEGINNING[/u]

[i]In the beginning was the Word. and the Word was God. (John 1:1)[/i]

None of us can approach a consideration of the eternal nature and Person of Jesus Christ without sensing and confessing our human inadequacy in the face of the divine revelation.

John, in his gospel, provides a beautiful portrait of the eternal Christ, starting with those stark, incredible words: “In the beginning!” My brethren, that is where we start with the understanding and the revelation of Christianity!

Many others have made a variety of claims but only our Christ is the Christ of God. Certainly it was not Buddha and not Mohammed; not Joseph Smith, not Mrs. Eddy and not Father Divine! All of these and countless others like them had beginnings—but they all had their endings, too.

What an incredible difference! Our Christian life commences with the eternal Son of God. This is our Lord Jesus Christ: the Word who was with the Father in the beginning; the Word who was God; and the Word who is God! This is the only one who can assure us: “No man cometh unto the Father, but by Me!”

A.W.Tozer

2005/1/2 14:09Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

[b]JANUARY 3[/b]

[u]MAN HAS LOST GOD[/u]

[i]Thou takest away their breath, they die, and return to dust. (Psalm 104:29)[/i]

The average person in the world today, without faith and without God and without hope, is engaged in a desperate personal search and struggle throughout his lifetime. He does not really know what he is doing here. He does not know where he is going.

The sad commentary is that everything he is doing is being done on borrowed time, borrowed money and borrowed strength—and he already knows that in the end he will surely die! It boils down to the bewildered confession of many humans that they have lost God somewhere along the way.

Man, made more like God than any other creature, has become less like God than any other creature. Created to reflect the glory of God, he has retreated sullenly into his cave—reflecting only his own sinfulness.

Certainly it is a tragedy above all tragedies in this world that love has gone from man’s heart. Beyond that, light has gone from his mind. Having lost God, he blindly stumbled on through this dark world to find only a grave at the end!

A.W.Tozer

2005/1/3 9:20Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Renewed II~ Day By Day ~ Devotional ~ A.W.Tozer

[b]JANUARY 4[/b]

[u]SAVIOR AND LORD[/u]

[i]For by grace are ye saved through faith it is the gift of God. (Ephesians 2:8)[/i]

God chose His only begotten Son as the channel for His grace and truth, for John witnesses that “grace and truth came by Jesus Christ!”

The Law was given by Moses—but that was all that Moses could do. He could only “command” righteousness. In contrast, only Jesus Christ produces righteousness.

All that Moses could do was to forbid us to sin. In contrast, Jesus Christ came to save us from sin.

Moses could not save anyone—but Jesus Christ is both Savior and Lord.

Grace came through Jesus Christ before Mary wept in the manger stall in Bethlehem. It was the grace of God in Christ that saved the human race from extinction when our first parents sinned in the Garden.

It is plain in history that God forgave Israel time and time again. It was the grace of God in Christ prior to the Incarnation that made God say: “I have risen early in the morning and stretched out my hands to you!”

A.W.Tozer

2005/1/6 0:52Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

[b]JANUARY 5[/b]

[u]OUR CHARTER IS FROM GOD[/u]

[i]Upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. (Matthew 16:18)[/i]

While we are right to thank God in appreciation for all of the great and good men in the history of the Christian church, we actually “follow” none of them. Our charter goes farther back and is from a higher source. They were rightly looked upon as leaders, but they were all servants of God, even as you and I are.

Luther sowed. Wesley watered. Finney reaped—but they were only servants of the living God.

In our local assemblies, we are part of the church founded by the Lord Jesus Christ and perpetuated by the mystery of the new birth. Therefore, our assembly is that of Christian believers gathered unto a Name to worship and adore the Presence. So, in that sense, the strain is gone. The strain and pressure to abide by traditional religious forms all begin to pale in importance as we function in faith as the people of God who glorify His Name and honor His Presence!

If all of this is true—and everything within me witnesses that it is—we may insist that God is able to do for us all that He did in the days of the apostles. There has been no revocation of our charter!

A.W.Tozer

2005/1/6 0:53Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

[b]JANUARY 6[/b]

[u]YES, GOD LOVES US[/u]

[i]We love him, because he first loved us. (1 John 4:19)[/i]

If we are to have any satisfying and lasting understanding of life, it must be divinely given. It begins with the confession that it is indeed the God who has revealed Himself to us who is the central pillar bearing up the universe. Believing that, we then go on to acknowledge that we have discovered His great eternal purpose for men and women made in His own image.

I heard a brilliant Canadian author being interviewed on the radio concerning world conditions, and he said: “I confess that our biggest mistake is the fond belief that we humans are special pets of Almighty God and that God has a special fondness for us as people.”

We have a good answer: man as he was originally created is God’s beloved. Man in that sense is the beloved of the universe. God said, “I have made man in My image and man is to be above all other creatures. Redeemed man is to be even above the angels in the heavens. He is to enter into My presence pardoned and unashamed, to worship me and to look on My face while the ages roll on!” No wonder we believe that God is the only certain foundation!

A.W.Tozer

2005/1/7 23:55Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

[b]JANUARY 7[/b]

[u]RICHES OF GRACE[/u]

[i]God hath in these last days spoken by his Son by whom also he made the worlds. (Hebrews 1:2)[/i]

Would it startle you if I dared to say that the living God has never done anything in His universe apart from Jesus Christ?

Christians seem to be woefully unaware of the full meaning and measure of the grace of God. Why should we question God’s provision when the Holy Spirit tells us through the Apostle John that the Word who became flesh is “full of grace and truth”? Brethren, the stars in their courses, the frogs that croak beside the lake, the angels in heaven above and men and women on earth below—all came out of the channel we call the eternal Word!

In the book of Revelation, John bears record of the whole universe joining to give praise to the Lamb that was slain. Under the earth and on the earth, and above the earth John heard creatures praising Jesus Christ, all joining in a great chorus: “Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honor, and glory and blessing!”

Yes, surely the entire universe is beneficiary of God’s rich grace in Jesus Christ!

A.W.Tozer

2005/1/7 23:56Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

[b]JANUARY 8[/b]

[u]BENEFITS OF GRACE[/u]

[i]But now in Christ Jesus ye are made nigh by the blood of Christ. (Ephesians 2:12)[/i]

Only a believing Christian can testify, “I am a sinner—saved by the grace of God!” But that is not the whole story. All that we have is cut of His grace. Jesus Christ, the eternal Word who became flesh and dwelt among us, is the open channel through whom God moves to provide all the benefits He gives, both to saints and to sinners—yes, even to sinners!

Even though you may still be unconverted and going your own way, you have received much out of the ocean of His fullness. You have received the pulsing life that beats in your bosom.

You have received the brilliant mind and the brain without which you could not function. You have received a memory that strings the events you cherish as a jeweler strings pearls into a necklace.

When we say to an unbelieving man, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ,” we are actually saying to him: “Believe on the One who sustains you and upholds you and who has given you life. Believe in the One who pities you and spares you and keeps you. Believe on the One out of whom you came!”

A.W.Tozer

2005/1/9 10:27Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

[b]JANUARY 9[/b]

[u]GOD’S GRACIOUS ACT[/u]

[i]The Word was made flesh and dwelt among us.(John 1:14)[/i]

We do well to remember that mankind is only one order of God’s beings or creatures. So we wonder: How could the Infinite ever become finite? And: How could the Limitless One deliberately impose limitations upon Himself?

In the book of Hebrews we learn to our amazement that God took not upon Him the nature of angels, but He took upon Him the seed of Abraham.

We would suppose that God in stepping down would step down just as little as possible. But instead He came down to the lowest order and took upon Himself the nature of Abraham—the seed of Abraham.

I like what John Wesley said concerning this mysterious act of God in stooping down to tabernacle with us: we should be sure to distinguish the act from the method by which the act is performed. Do not reject a fact because we do not know how it was done, Wesley advised.

With the saints of all ages, we do well just to throw up our hands and confess: “Oh Lord, Thou knowest!”

A.W.Tozer

2005/1/9 10:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy