SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : How did the Nephilim (giants) survive Noah's flood?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
njhoover

How did the Nephilim (giants) survive Noah's flood?

Genesis 6:2 "the sons of God saw that they were fair; and they took wives for themselves of all that they chose."

6:4 "The Nephilim were on the earth in those days - AND ALSO AFTERWARD..."

7:23 "everything on dry land in whose nostrils was the breath of life died. He blotted out every living thing that was on the face of the ground, human beings and animals and creeping things and birds of the air; they were blotted out from the earth. ONLY NOAH was left AND THOSE THAT WERE WITH HIM IN THE ARK."

7:23 means that any pre-diluvian that survived HAD to have been on the ark with Noah.

Numbers 13:33 "There we saw the Nephilim (the Anakites COME FROM THE NEPHILIM); and to ourselves we seemed like grasshoppers, and so we seemed to them."

Did the Sons of God impregnate women AFTER the flood as well? This seems unlikely because God imprisoned the SoG who "left their place" and are now in chains according to Jude 1:6

Could it be that demons, or demonically possessed individuals are responsible for the resurgence of the giants?

Thanks!

2011/10/28 20:52Profile
Questor

Re: How did the Nephilim (giants) survive Noah's flood?

Most Believers do not put much stock in the Book of Enoch,
but in the event that the Nephilim ever existed by sexual congress with fallen angels, and since Noah's line was pronounced 'perfect in it's generations', any heritable angel stature would have to be genetically through the wives of the sons of Noah.

Genesis 6

1. And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,
2. That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.
3. And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.
4. There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
5. And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
6. And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
7. And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
8. But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.

9. These are the generations of Noah: NOAH WAS A JUST MAN, AND PERFECT IN HIS GENERATIONS, and Noah walked with God.

10. And Noah begat three sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth.
11. The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence.
12. And God looked upon the earth, and, behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth.
13. And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.
14. Make thee an ark of gopher wood; rooms shalt thou make in the ark, and shalt pitch it within and without with pitch.
15. And this is the fashion which thou shalt make it of: The length of the ark shall be three hundred cubits, the breadth of it fifty cubits, and the height of it thirty cubits.
16. A window shalt thou make to the ark, and in a cubit shalt thou finish it above; and the door of the ark shalt thou set in the side thereof; with lower, second, and third stories shalt thou make it.
17. And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die.
18. But with thee will I establish my covenant; and thou shalt come into the ark, thou, and thy sons, and thy wife, and thy sons' wives with thee.
19. And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female.
20. Of fowls after their kind, and of cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the earth after his kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive.
21. And take thou unto thee of all food that is eaten, and thou shalt gather it to thee; and it shall be for food for thee, and for them.
22. Thus did Noah; according to all that God commanded him, so did he.

Q

2011/10/28 22:55Profile
Solomon101

America's Flyover Country

Re:

I personally have no problem with the book of Enoch. As most know it is quoted in the book of Jude. If the New Testament quotes parts of the book of Enoch as authoratative ... well it is at least enough to make it worthy of consideration.

A second thought is this-
As already referenced, the original fallen angelic beings that produced the nephelim offspring are reserved in chains of darkness until the judgement. However, there is absolutely no scripture to indicate that further sexual transgressions by fallen angelic beings can not have happened. For that matter there is no reason Biblically to think it can not or is not happening to this very day.

What do we think Jesus meant when he said of the Jewish leaders that were trying to kill Him... that they, "Were of their father (the seed, offspring or spawn of) the devil".. Jesus said that the devil was a murderer and they sought to kill him because they did the work of "their father". JESUS SAID THEIR FATHER WAS THE DEVIL! Interestingly he NEVER said this of anyone EXCEPT the religious leaders seeking to attack Him. THAT should be clear enough shouldn't it?

Perhaps the original post should think less in terms of just physical giants and more in terms of those "religious" leaders that oppose the message of Christ. Ones that bring masses of people under blinded obedience to a Christ defying and assaulting belief system.

Those are just some additional thoughts for consideration. However, there appears to be no Biblical reason that nephilim could not be reproduced today. Interestingly they have arisen where God was making a plan to do something. Apparently to oppose it. For example.. when Abraham enters the promised land we see no reference to them. However, we do have God giving a promise to Abraham concerning the land and his part in the linage of the Messiah. Later, when Joshua and Caleb lead the people to obtain that promised land they find nephilim have now entered and control the land God promised to Abrahams descendants. They stand there in a direct attempt to stop them from obtaining what God promised. Obviously these are offspring of different devils if the original ones were reserved in chains of darkness. Again, it may well be that those strongly opposing Jesus in His ministry were the same. There appears to be no Biblical reason it could not be the same today. Again, food for thought.

Blessings!

2011/10/28 23:24Profile

Re:

They were so tall that they kept their heads above water.

2011/10/28 23:35
njhoover

Re:

"I personally have no problem with the book of Enoch. As most know it is quoted in the book of Jude. If the New Testament quotes parts of the book of Enoch as authoratative ... well it is at least enough to make it worthy of consideration."

I thought that too, until while researching the book I found Jude is not quoting directly from the book (at least not the Ethiopian translation we have today).

Enoch 1:9: “And behold! He cometh with ten thousands of His holy ones to execute judgment upon all, and to destroy all the ungodly: and to convict all flesh of all the works of their ungodliness which they have ungodly committed, and of all the hard things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him.”

Jude 14-15 "It was also about these that Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied, saying, “Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of his holy ones, to execute judgment on all and to convict all the ungodly of all their deeds of ungodliness that they have committed in such an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things that ungodly sinners have spoken against him.”

Notice that it's not a direct quotation of the BoE we have today.

"They were so tall that they kept their heads above water."

LOL.

2011/10/29 12:11Profile
njhoover

Re:

It's a longshot but I may have an answer!

Apparently the Midrash says Og, the Nephilim King of Bashan snuck aboard Noah's Ark.

Like I said... a long shot.

2011/10/30 13:06Profile

Re:

[Quote] "Enoch 1:9: “And behold! He cometh with ten thousands of His holy ones to execute judgment upon all, and to destroy all the ungodly: and to convict all flesh of all the works of their ungodliness which they have ungodly committed, and of all the hard things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him.”

Jude 14-15 "It was also about these that Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied, saying, “Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of his holy ones, to execute judgment on all and to convict all the ungodly of all their deeds of ungodliness that they have committed in such an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things that ungodly sinners have spoken against him.

Notice that it's not a direct quotation of the BoE we have today." [end quote]

I have read these two verses over and over to make sure that I am reading it correctly and I can't see that there is any different between the two.

Perhaps you can dissect it for us so that we or at least I can see the difference.

Just so that we are on the same page. Paul when quoting from the Old Testament doesn't quite quote the complete verse, for example,

Romans 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Habakkuk 2:4 Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by HIS faith.

Now, what was Paul using that he should omit "his" in that verse?

2011/10/30 13:49
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Romans 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Put together with Gal 2: 20, whose life do we now live? If it is Christ that is rebirthed in me and my life is Christ, then whose faith am I living by? "The life I now live, I live by the faith of the Son of God." One cannot be righteous unless he has been made righteousness By God placeing His incorruptable Seed in us by being born again.
1 Peter 1:23.

Jesus Christ is now our righteousness and new life to God< " Our Father ". His life, His faith, His righteousness, I am born again, I can now live life by His Life through me, whom Jesus now presents me without spot or wrinkle to God our Father.

This is the mystery Paul speaks of in all his epistles, "MY GOSPEL". "Christ in you the hope of glory" Col 1:26-29.

In Christ: Phillip

2011/10/30 14:16Profile

Re:

That is all nice and dandy Phil, but that is not what I was getting at. We were talking about quotations from Enoch and what Jude quoted. I was pointing out........ah never mind.

2011/10/30 19:27
njhoover

Re:

Approved I think you may be onto something about Paul not quoting the exact verses he references. I think the reason for that may be the same reason why we ALL don't always quote the exact verse: it's present in memory but not in front of us. Add to difficulty of finding verses via scrolls without the aid of chapter or verse numbers...

As to the comparison quotes: I didn't really read them that thoroughly. By bad...

2011/10/31 12:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy