SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Justifying Idols (sports)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Justifying Idols (sports)

Most of you know I have been involved in sports, particularly (American) football. I’ve coached, been in management, etc. I’ve been involved in both secular football programs and Christian programs.

This year I took off just to enjoy watching my kids play. Now that football season is coming to a close I have made some observations… and some enemies.

I think most “Christian” sports organizations, particularly for our youth… are nothing more than a way to justify our idolatry. The idol being SPORTS. I’ve never paid attention to it before, but it is amazing how much families will sacrifice financially, time-wise and energy-wise so their kids can play sports. Yet these same people can only seem to find the time to come to church just on Sunday morning. Call for corporate prayer on Wednesday night? Oh… cant do it.

I’m guilty too, so the finger points straight back at me.

People say (and I’ve said this): Football teaches boys to be men. It teaches great life lessons and skills. Well, there is truth in that. But isn’t that akin to saying the Bible is not sufficient? When an athlete spends 10 hours a week at practice and 10 hours a week working out on his own… but never opens his Bible outside of church… what life lessons is he learning?

And what parents are willing to put up with from some coaches amazes me as well. I watched a head coach of a Christian team in a Christian league this year cuss like a sailor at his team until management threatened to kick him out… a month into the season. He called several players “worthless” to their faces. Technically (by legal definition) he assaulted a member of the team’s management… and then during a game he technically assaulted one of the players.

And this man is a deacon at a very large church.

Then there is the behavior of some of the parents. Parental behavior in Christian leagues is no different than in secular leagues. I’ve seen both. It sickens me.

What is going on? Idolatry is what is going on. We love our sports so much we are willing to sacrifice everything for it… time, money, ethics… even the influences on our kids. The coach sets a horrible example for teenage boys, but it’s ok because they are learning life lessons and winning games!

C’mon… really?

Pride of life. That’s what it is. Idolatry.

Spend 15 minutes with someone and you know what motivates them. Whatever motivates them is their god.

Parents, stop sacrificing your children to idols. Sports are not a sin. But what is a sin is the amount of sacrifice we are willing to make so Johnny or Mary can have a moment in the spotlight. When people see us they should see Jesus… not a kid who’s “got game”.

More of Him and less of me.

I think I am done with sports.

Krispy

2011/10/24 10:50
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Justifying Idols (sports)

Well, you've said it all.

People will go out of their way to justify worshipping their 'god', because of that just that, it is their god.

If some had the heartbeat for God that they have for sports they would be amazing.

The word of God tells us to not have any god before Him, Exodus 20v2. Yet, somehow...

I'll leave it at that.

2011/10/24 10:59Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

KK

What you are also revealing is a reason why kids are doing so poorly in school. There is more emphasis placed on sports in general than on education. Thus America falls so hard.

I have no kids but my brother has 3 kids. One of them is currently involved in baseball and I always hear the usually tiredness in them when they have practice and games and those games turn into playoffs and and so forth. It really drags a family through the mud and yet how much valuable time is lost in education or even involvement in the church, for that matter.

Yet, I think this whole scenerio comes from males side of things.

I know for myself, College football is my main course for sports. Saturday is my 'picnic day' yet ever other weekend I go to a Saturday night service-I have to work every other weekend. This church has a Saturday night service SO, I get to watch the first half of a 3:30pm game and miss the rest of it. I deal with it though.

All of this stuff does start at home and parents instill in their kids what they think is important. Many times it is sports over the mind and over religious belief.

Does any of this make any sense? I felt like I just got rambling about stuff.

2011/10/24 11:05Profile
mama27

Re:

You are courageous to post on this topic. I wanted to recommend a message on the subject that helped and guided us in the raising of our children. My husband was raised on sports, and my father and brother worshiped the same idol when I was growing up. So....after my H and I were saved, we took the position of not having our 3 sons join in on organized sporting events....(I am not saying I have any problem with a church picnic where softball is played, or volleyball in a back yard - it is organized sports teams I am speaking to).....Unfortunately my sons don't have the relationship with the Lord that they should, and so as young adults are feeling that they were deprived in how we raised them. But we have to answer to the Lord, and I would not do things differently.

I am not putting up any man's word, but this message helped clarify Scriptural principles that would point to the detriments involved in sports. I recommend it for any who would be interested.

www.charityministries.org - "The Christian View of Sports" by Alex Marini

2011/10/24 11:11Profile

Re:

Whoa Krispe. You stepum on sacred cow. I live in Ark. where Razorback religion rules. You know they shout their whooooo pig suuuueerry. But then the very same ones take you to task for singing too loudly in church as they nurse their hangovers. But yeah bro. You bring up some valid points.

Blaine

2011/10/24 11:19

Re:

This year was an eye opener for me... you cant see it when you're directly involved, such as coaching etc.

But just laying back this year, wow.

And my observations and comments have more than ticked off a few. It's like heresy to speak out about some of the things I've been observing.

Some people act like I'm a traitor.

Krispy

2011/10/24 11:38
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Steve, only you could have said it as well as you did.

WOW!

Once again you are proving a valuable point: life is a series of growth and learning and we do well to submit to it.

I appreciate your testimony, Krispy. Thanks for sharing.

ginnyrose

2011/10/24 11:44Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

QUOTE:
"Some people act like I'm a traitor."

No doubt - given your past involvement in it.

Just keep on listening to the LORD...he takes you to some very interesting places but do not expect the approval of the masses.

God bless you, Krispy, and your boys, especially.

ginnyrose

2011/10/24 11:47Profile

Re:

Quote:
but do not expect the approval of the masses.

Being a part of this forum has taught me that! lol

Krispy

2011/10/24 11:59
ThyKingCome

Southern CA

Re:

Krispy, thank you for sharing on this subject. I could not agree with you more. Sadly, this topic will RARELY ever be spoken on inside a church service, for the pastor would have to risk losing respect and possibly church members...but it does need to be addressed nontheless!

It's the devil's trojan horse into the family circle. Father's who play softball 2 or 3 nights a week (even in Church leagues) don't know how much they are sacrificing or what they are teaching their children about priorities.

I work with professing Christians who pretty much take a Christian hiatus during sports season to get their kids to all of their practices, games, awards ceremonies etc. It's very tragic and very grieving.

Exposed idol worship will always produce a lashback, that is why speaking out on this subject will always bring it. No one is saying that enjoying a game or having your kids play sports is sin, but if it comes at the expense of God's priority in the home then it has progressed into the realm of idolatry. That's what idolatry is...having another god before the Lord God. it doesn't have to be a golden calf or bronze serpent either, just something that holds a higher place of affection, attention and priority in our lives.

Lord give us eyes to see these things happening in our generation and give us grace to avoid them ourselves and warn others with love and tears.

2011/10/24 13:14Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy