SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Speaking in tongues

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Joyful_Heart

Re:

To be honest I pray in tongues a lot all through the day and in the night watch. For me it is an awesome gift from the Lord as there are so many words I could pray but when I pray in tongues on a subject I know it His heart I am praying. And when in deep intercession it just comes, it flows, in warfare and when worshiping, I sing in tongues. Have for years. Some more than others but lately it has just been a flow as the Holy Spirit. Of course I pray with my words as well. PTL.

My heart is to see God move and He moves through prayer. Also, so very important is to keep our hearts pure before Him. When the Holy Spirit comes and convicts to quickly go to Him and repent.

Like the Pastor said Sunday. We have to look at ourselves and see if there be any fruit in our lives and if there is an area that is not bearing fruit ask the Holy Spirit to show us and help us. He is so faithful and longs to help make us Holy unto Himself. We cant do it on our own at all.

Also, ask. Do we really want Truth or are we bound and determined to not budge because we think this way or that.

One thing I can say is I have made poor choices at times in my walk with the Lord - now walking in complete repentance and forgiveness - All glory to His Name, But even before the scales were lifted from my eyes and I saw Him for who He is, I asked Him for TRUTH no matter what it was, no matter what religion. I just didn't care. I just wanted the Truth about which religion was His - there were so many. Of course, He didn't take me to a denomination, He took me straight to JESUS! I am forever thankful for this.

So, about anything I pray and ask God to show me TRUTH. I dont want to be deceived. So, you too can ask Him about praying in tongues. It is a powerful gift from the Lord. I never pray in public, it is a gift for me to use to pray and to worship in the closet.

It was on my knees I prayed and asked the Holy Spirit for this gift and He gave it to me. I think I asked several times. That was many years ago. I dont look down on anyone who doesn't - but I do pray you will ask Him for it and be blessed. Every good and perfect gift comes from above. And if it doesn't happen right when you want - wait on Him. It will come.

I pray as Paul, that all would seek and have this awesome gift from God and use it to His glory.

My testimony ~

Love & blessings to all,

Sheri

2011/10/19 12:14Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re: Speaking in tongues

When God gives a gift it is not a luxury but it must be put to use. No use in believing in the gift and not practising it.

2011/10/19 12:39Profile

Re:

I dont recall seeing where anyone suggested you dont use it... as long as it's used Biblically, just like any other gift. It's just that this one is particularly abused far above any of the others.

Krispy

2011/10/19 13:00
MaryJane

Re:

I do believe that God does give the gift of tongues to whom HE chooses but I do not have this gift. I did at one time ask for and obsess over this gift but now I am just content to walk with HIM and desire to love HIM and know HIM.

Thank you all for sharing what the LORD has done in your life.

God bless
maryjane

2011/10/19 13:02Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
Krispy wrote:
I dont recall seeing where anyone suggested you dont use it... as long as it's used Biblically, just like any other gift. It's just that this one is particularly abused far above any of the others.

I’m not trying to be argumentative but I would like to know who is to decide when God’s gifts are being used Biblically? Will it be the Baptist’s who decide what is Biblical when the majority don’t even believe the gifts are for today, let alone be used in the church? Presbyterian Church? Catholics maybe? Or will it be the Pentecostal’s to decide what it Biblical? And there's 1000's of doctrines. God knows exactly what His doctrine is on the gifts! It seems to me that God couldn't hardly wait for the new covenant to get here and just poured out His gifts on men and said “here, use them! Build my church.” It has been “man” who has created different doctrines about what, why, when, where, and how we can use them.

I would like to say that since the gifts of divers tongues *is* the most common gift among Christians, it would seem logically that it would be considered “abused far above” the rest.

What is abuse 'far above the rest'? I would like, if I may, to give a descriptive story that may or may not help to make my point…. We give vehicles to 16 year olds and when they ding it some parents go nuts thinking they’re abusing it and not taking care of it. Kids run it out of gas and we’ve got to get up at 1 o’clock in the morning and go get them; drink and drive; they run them into ditches; they drive above the speed limit; they take corners too fast; they drive with no seatbelts; they drive with their friends hanging out the windows yelling to the top of their lungs!! Think about the first vehicles we've each owned! How did we treat them? Did we handle each vehicle perfectly and uprightly? I know that I didn’t.

There are mature 16 year olds and then there are immature 16 year olds and it’s the same with Christians and the gifts that God gives them; but parents are still giving cars/trucks to 16 year olds and God is still giving gifts to his people! We trust our children with 2,000 lb vehicles and God STILL trusts His children with His precious Holy Spirit and His gifts! Praise God, any way we look at it, we are still better off for it!

I'm sure that there is outright abuse but we need to trust that God knows what He is doing.

Just my two cents!
God bless you Krispy and anyone else who took the time to read all of this! I hope my heart came across for this topic and for God.
Lisa

edited for clarity

2011/10/19 14:02Profile

Re:

"I am a proud tongue speaker
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meaning Krispy, I am not pretending to be something I am not, I am not ashamed of this gift even although there is a tremendous amount of pressure against it. As Lysa said, so many denoninations, outside of pentecostalism, do not even accept it but just dont have the guts to say what they really think, although I have heard a few saying its of the devil. The church I wennt to for eight years was pastored by a man who was kicked out of his Southern Baptist church after he got " baptized in the Holy Spirit."

Bottom line Krispy, my heavenly Father gave me a gift which many people do not accept or outright object to, and amongst that group of people, I am " proud," of what the Lord gave me and use it. Like I said in a previous post, some folks will go the inth degree when it comes to being Biblical in regard to headcoverings and so on, but when it comes to tongues, you begin to hear the crickets chirping :) Be blessed brother, I am sure you knew that I did not mean proud in that sense, as someone who has been a Christian for 21 years, I know well the dangers of pride from actual experience :( .........brother Frank

2011/10/19 14:51
gators52

Central Florida

Re:

brother frank my spirit witnesses to you. You seem like a man whose life is hidden with Christ in God. God Bless you brother.

2011/10/19 15:29Profile

Re:

There is a danger of " theologizing," ( if there is such a word) Scripture so much that we lose the simple and plainest meaning. This definately applies to the sign gifts of the Spirit. One example from my personal life. IN Bible college ( Baptist seminary) one of my classes was "Premillenial dispensationalism." Now, how many think I should have gotton an A just for being able to say it and spell it ( still not sure about the spelling) I liked the prof who was teacihng the class, he was a good man. He only ever read Scriptures in Hebrew or Greek. For his own thesis, he wrote on Matthew 24. Now, we all know that this is not a particularly long chapter. HIs thesis was 324 pages long. Now, should I read that, or just read Matthew 24 and ask the Holy Spirit to open it up to me? Below is a quote from Tozer, I particulalry like the last sentence. It is taken from the book " Living as a Christian." Cessasionists should read :) ...........

" I have been to Bible conferences and heard teachers of many schools of religious Christian interpretation give the impression that they were proud of their ability to bring things out, both old and new, particularly new. And after they had settled the hash of the ordinary. simple interpretation of the thing, they give some curious interpretation. They had enjoyed theology from a curious standpoint.

I believe that this typpe of thing will lead us astray. As soon as we accpet the doctrine or the idea that the Bible is a book of theological toys to be played with by tender saintlings, we have missed the purpose of the Scripture and face the danger of slipping into false doctrine before very long. For the Bible was given to us not to satisfy our curiosity but to sanctify our personality. "

Schoolmen beware............brother Frank

2011/10/19 16:30

Re:

Thank you gators, I appreciate that thought, it is my life's desire to be hidden with Christ........brother Frank

2011/10/19 16:33

Re: I will be honest

1 I speak in tongues.
2 I use the NIV New Testament.
3 I stand with the persecuted chutch.

So come,and get me. For I have been honest with you. I could probably share some other things but my honesty nay scare you. So cone and get me.

Blaine

2011/10/20 18:50

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy