SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Speaking in tongues

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
Can we please not deviate from the subject of the speaking in tongues? :)

We didnt. Go back and look at the trillion of other threads on here about tongues and you will see they all pretty much have the same ebb and flow. Nothing new.

Krispy

2011/10/18 14:01
neemia

North Carolina, USA

Re:

I was talking about this topic though. Still, I appreciate your comments. :)

2011/10/18 14:04Profile

Re:

What can be said about speaking in tongues? You believe the gift is valid for today and practice or you don't. Other topics may arise which flow from this. Such as doctrine verses the Spirit. Actually this thread and the Holy Spirit thread run pretty close together. So if other topics arise that is good. The thread is generating discussion.

I think Krispy is correct that the scriptures need to keep us in check. I was having a spirited discussion with him to put some life into his Calvinism. But hey bro still love you for your committment to truth.

I think Brother Frank balanced it for us with his excellent post in staying focussed on Jesus. Bottom line that is where it should be. Stayed on Jesus.

Personally I do speak on tongues. But only do so rarely. I probably read my New Testament more than I pray in tongues. As our sister Lisa would say, my 2 cents worth.

Blaine

2011/10/18 15:04

Re:

Quote:
I think Krispy is correct that the scriptures need to keep us in check. I was having a spirited discussion with him to put some life into his Calvinism. But hey bro still love you for your committment to truth.

This "Calvinist" believes the gifts are valid and active today... surprise surprise! I just dont always agree with what some people think the gifts are.

And I love you too bro... I love that we can get at it and still come out brothers.

Krispy

2011/10/18 15:13

Re:

At the risk of deviating from the topic, I don't really think it is, isn't it interesting that on the head-covering thread, it was strongly emphasied by many that even the smallest commandment could not be ignored and if you did, you did

at peril. Yet, if one talks about tongues it is immediatly pointed out that this is a lesser gift and you should not focus on it and if you do focus on it then it is unhealthy. Just thought I would point out that inconsistancy :). I am a proud tongue speaker, a gift from the Lord and His gifts are good and ...........brother Frank

2011/10/18 15:48
mikey2

Re:

Amen, brother Frank. Any gift from the Lord is a good gift. The Baptism in the Holy Spirit is what He commanded His disciples to wait for on Pentecost. There was a reason for that.

Mike

2011/10/18 15:57Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Franks point is well made I think. Every one of us comes from a background that has shaped the core of our beliefs. It is part of our human nature to try to warp everything just a little bit to fit what we already think is true. This always leads us to inconsistencies of one sort or another. It is a hard thing for any of us to abandon our own ideas about what scripture teaches and simply accept what scripture teaches. When faced with our own inconsistencies we often bow up and go into defense mode to try to hold together our own structure. I am guilty of this and I am pretty certain everyone on this forum is guilty of it as well. Jesus has a way of cutting to the quick and dealing with these things if we will allow Him to do so. It is difficult to stay humble and teachable in all things. I struggle with this, do any of you? I think this forum is a good thing in that it often has forced me to reconsider what I believe and face inconsistencies in my own thinking. The same can be said about this "controversial" topic. I think we can all agree on a few things. First that speaking in tongues is a real gift of the Spirit for that is plainly spelled out in scripture. Second that it is only one of at least nine gifts. Third that there are instances of this gift in operation in the modern church. Fourth that one of the primary doctrines of the New Testament is that Jesus was leaving but was sending the Holy Spirit to empower believers. I suggest laying all of these things before the Lord, keeping our eyes on Jesus, and committing to allowing our apple cart to be upset and reloaded with oranges if that is what God wants to do. In other words, in any of these topics we need to focus intently on Jesus and do our best to remain humble before both God and our brothers and be OK with abandoning what we might have always thought about whatever the topic. I really believe there will come a greater unity in doctrine in these last days than there has been since the first 100 years of the church.

2011/10/18 19:14Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

I have what you say everybody is guilty of.

Unknown tongues or with understanding?

Rather 3 words with understanding than 10,000 in any verbalization without understanding?

There is only one way my mind can get around this, quit thinking about tongues and seek understanding and revelation of the Christ that is in us. This is all that Paul taught, "Christ in you the Hope of Glory", Jesus Christ and HIm crucified. This is the greatest Gift of all. If tongues are needed in Gods plan for someones salvation, He will take care of it. Even I might speak in Hungarian.

In Christ: Phillip
quilty

2011/10/18 19:53Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Christinyou

Quote:
Christinyou wrote:
I have what you say everybody is guilty of.

Unknown tongues or with understanding?

Rather 3 words with understanding than 10,000 in any verbalization without understanding?

It's not really one or the other. Let’s read the correct context of what you said…..

Paul says, “I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:” v18. (So he is THANKFUL that he has the gift of tongues!!)

And he continues with, “Yet *IN THE CHURCH* I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.” v19
(It is only “in the church” that he would rather speak words of understanding that men may know and hear and grow. Because in verse 28 he gives explicit instructions that if there is an interpreter IT IS OK to speak in tongues in the church! Wow! So in our prayer life there is no bridle on speaking in tongues!)

Christinyou, when we read the Scriptures as Paul wrote them, we see that Paul does not forbid speaking in tongues at all as some would have you believe and he rejoices in the gift of tongues in his own life. And remember that Paul did say, “Follow me as I follow Christ!”

God bless you brother,
Lisa

2011/10/19 9:13Profile

Re:

Quote:
I am a proud tongue speaker

Hmmm... watch out for that pride! It'll getcha.

Whats there to be proud of? If you have the gift of tongues it's not because of anything you did. Just like salvation: It's all of grace.

Krispy

2011/10/19 11:03

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy