SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Speaking in tongues

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
neemia

North Carolina, USA

Speaking in tongues

Do you still believe in the speaking in tongues?

How do you see this?

2011/10/18 7:18Profile

Re: Speaking in tongues

I do, I do not see anything in scripture to suggest it ceased with the apostles. However, the writings of the church leaders in the 2md & 3rd centuries do suggest there was a dramatic decrease in tongues.

Now, I believe most of what we see in the church especially in America and other western countries in regards to tongues is foolishness. But I believe there is a legitimate gift of tongues. I do not believe in a "heavenly prayer language" because that is not found in scripture.

Tongues are not given to every believer, and tongues are not the initial sign of being "baptised by the Holy Spirit". Paul, when arguing that there are different gifts for different purposes, all given by the Holy Spirit according to His purposes… he says “Do all speak in tongues?”, and contextually the answer is obviously “No.”

Those Christians who claim to speak in tongues are not more spiritual or mature or special than those who do not. I’ve known of some very hideous people who “speak in tongues” (Benny Hinn and Todd Bentley), and I’ve known of some saintly people who never have. (Billy Graham has never spoken in tongues, neither did Charles Spurgeon)

Some are going to want to argue with me on these points. Don’t waste your time, I know all the arguments back and forth… this is where I landed on this topic, and there is grace enough for other thoughts on it. I could be completely wrong about this, and so could you.

So there ya go.

Krispy

2011/10/18 7:46
mguldner

Kansas

Speaking in tongues is an active gift of the Holy Spirit. I believe it is not a Sign of Holy Spirit baptism as many Pentecostal claim but it is a gift given to some. The signs of the Holy Spirit should be the Fruits of the Spirit.

I take a fairly strong stance on this because growing up as a Pentecostal I fell victim to the social pressure of "Speaking in tongues" and so gave simply spoke jibberish to be accepted. This still goes on today and people fail to look at the inner man. Now I don't ask, do I speak in tongues of men and angels? but Do I speak with a controled tongue of faith, hope and love. This is not to say that everyone that speaks is tongues is doing it out of social obligation or falsity because I have meet many who spoke in tongues and their life was full of the fruits of the Spirit. Likewise I have met many who didn't speak in tongues yet still showed the same fruits of the Spirit without the speaking in tongues experience.

Should the Lord bless me with the gift I would take it gratefully but the Lord has blessed me with other things which He has me use for His Glory.

2011/10/18 7:47Profile

Re:

Amen, bro... good word.

Krispy

2011/10/18 7:50
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Amen to you too bro,

When I came to this conclusion I came under fire for saying such craziness that was "unbiblical." I was really uncertain if I was right or wrong but the more I studied the Word the more I couldn't deny this belief. Brother Zac Poonen was somebody I really enjoyed listening to on the subject because I finally found someone who was greatly experienced in the scripture that taught the same thing. For a while it was like I was the one on crazy pills and everyone else was normal, but God also taught me in that time He is not always in the "normal way of things" that society and tradition push on us.

2011/10/18 7:57Profile
Enochh

Indianapolis

Re:

mgulder......being on crazy pills aint always a bad thing...:)

2011/10/18 8:02Profile
neemia

North Carolina, USA

Yes. A person who is filled with God's spirit will have the fruits of the Holy Spirit.

In the Eastern countries, I had seen the speaking in tongues more than in the western side. Most of those people are Godly people.

2011/10/18 8:15Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

I believe in all the gifts of the Spirit in operation in the church today! I use this gift when I pray and when I lay hands on and pray for other people.

Allowing the gift of tongues to operate in my life is like breathing air, it comes naturally! And I praise God for every bit it. To God all the glory!!

*How do I see it?*

God gave the gift of the Holy Spirit (Holy Ghost) to the church before they could make a theology of it; and today man gets so caught up in the theology of it all that they won't accept the gifts that God has given them.

God bless,
Lisa

2011/10/18 8:33Profile
Sree

Re:

Speaking in tongues is a gift of Holy Spirit. It is true but it has to be used in public only if there is an interpreter. Else use it in your private prayers. You get gifts when you purchase something worthy from a shop. The same way the holyspirit gives you gifts when you receive it. The gift is not the main thing but what you purchased is the main thing. So the filling of spirit which should be reflected in a godly life is more important than the free gift that you get with it. Also the presence of a gift does not mean a person is still filled. God does not take back his gifts just like how we do not take the gifts that we give to others. A true man of women of God will never advertise their gifts if they did they either lost their anointing or they have fake gift.
So simply saying that I pray in tongues in front of others by laying hands is not tongues at all.
Gifts are given to people who are parts of a body of Christ. If you are not a part of a body and you have an unsubmitting spirit then I wont believe that you speak in tongues.

2011/10/18 8:48Profile
mikey2

Re:

The Baptism in the Holy Spirit is the doorway to the "deeper life." It is the beginning not the "END."

People camp out there and never move on, but it is given so that you will be Jesus' disciples with bold conviction and real love for others.

Don't waste it.

Mike

2011/10/18 9:09Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy