SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Courageous the movie

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Courageous the movie

Wanted to know what you all thought of the movie and if the Sherwood films have blessed you at all. I liked the movie, was highly dissapointed though in the previews before the movie, very offensive.

2011/10/12 2:44

Re: Courageous the movie

Have not seen the movie yet. I've seen the trailers... what could you have possibly been offended by, if you dont mind me asking?

I was not a fan of "Fireproof". Not because of the storyline... I just dont like movies that play too heavily to your emotions. It seems like Christian movies ALWAYS have to be tear jerkers. (It was a chick flick... My wife loved it)

"Facing The Giants" was great, except the message of the movie seemed to be "once you surrender to God all YOUR dreams will come true!" Apparently if I just give it all to God I will win the state championship, get a brand new truck, revival will break out among everyone I know with no resistance whatsoever... and my wife will get pregnant... twice.

My favorite was "Fly Wheel". Very simple message, very simple story line, very funny at times. I wish they would remake it now that they have more money and resources because some of the film editting and such does look amateurish... but if you can get past that... it's a really good movie.

Krispy

2011/10/12 6:46
savedtoserve

Re:

Very good points, Krispy. Especially about Facing the Giants...I knew something wasn't quite right about it but couldn't put it in words very well. I mean if you want people to BELIEVE that that's what God really does, why put it in a movie instead of showing it in real life?? It almost caters to the mindset of, "Ok, that was a movie, now let's get back to real life" and in so doing making people miss the REAL power of God. For that reason and others, I'm not really for Christian movies. Reality and what I need to be focusing on (Christ) are too important to be sidetracked from by some story that never happened. I'd rather hear a true story than watch a made-up one any day!

However, I'm not insinuating anything here...I'd like to hear everyone's comments, too.

savedtoserve

2011/10/12 9:02Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

I was blessed to meet with the pastor of Sherwood baptist and he is a wonderful brother in the Lord. I believe God has allowed these movies to be successful to give this pastor and church a platform to speak Gods word in their denomination esepecially.

He runs a wonderful conference on the need for revival every year: http://www.refreshconference.org/

very similar to the idea of the Revival Conferences that sermonindex has run.

I have not personally seen or viewed this new movie.

2011/10/12 9:55Profile

Re:

I think they have a great thing going there! No doubt about it. I think Christian movies are an effective way to spread the gospel. I just think when the writers try to make a movie a little too "feel good"... they can miss the mark. The Christian life is not about "feel good" (altho there is joy in the Christian life) and "inspiration" (altho God enables and inspire us). Of course I am speaking about fleshly "feel good" and "inspiration" which the modern church is mainly focussed on.

Krispy

2011/10/12 10:32
ThyKingCome

Southern CA

Re:

My wife and I have personally been so blessed and edified by these movies by Sherwood Baptist and the Kendrick brothers. Praise the Lord for godly films that can be used to reach out to the lost and hurting, broken and divided homes. I believe the Lord has raised these precious people up to be a voice to not only their Church, denomination and community, but also the Christian culture.

God has given them great vision and insight into the true needs of the Church today, and two of those needs have been addressed powerfully: Marriage and Fatherhood.

It really discourages me when I hear fellow believers say anything neggative about these movies...haven't heard too much here so far, praise the Lord. Not every movie will perfectly fit everyone's individual experience or life, and to some if might feel like a feel good movie, but to others it could be what God uses to change their heart towards marriage and parenting.

I wouldn't set these movies in the same category of other Christian films. These folks pray fervently over these movies every day of filming, and they aren't in it to make a profit, but to truly spread the gospel and Word of God to heal homes and brokenness.

Courageous specifically was a phenominal movie. If the men of the Church could really get a hold of the truths it is attempting to speak, it could change the norm in the Christian home, which is what could change the foundational tilt of the Church. The Lord wants to "Turn the hearts of fathers back to their children and children to their fathers." I wouldn't say that Courageous was a feel good movie. It was very difficult to watch at times, and addressed very real issues such as gangs, drugs, broken homes, death, grieving, dating, violence, fatherhood, loss of jobs and the list goes on and on.

I could not recommend this movie more highly, as well as the others.

By the grace of God, may the men of the Church rise up and declare, "I Will".

2011/10/12 13:45Profile

Re:

Some of the previews for movies at the theatre before the movie started seemed to be very rebellious against what we find in scripture. One preview showed the preachers daughter who seemed to be rebellious behind closed doors and then the movie promoted a change from the traditional christian values, they seem to promote that it is good to go against our christian principles taught in scripture and that to stick to them is evil, the previews were just realy offensive and was marked by rebellion and showing off of the body, and that was offensive to me. I don't know know if that was for every theatre, but hopefully they change that. The movie itself was good, i could not tell that some of them were christians until half way through the movie.

2011/10/12 13:51

Re:

Quote:
It really discourages me when I hear fellow believers say anything neggative about these movies...haven't heard too much here so far, praise the Lord.

Different strokes for different folks... It should not discourage you if someone doesnt like a movie that you like. And I like their movies... except for what I said about Giants.

Krispy

2011/10/12 16:27

Re:

Quote:
Some of the previews for movies at the theatre before the movie started seemed to be very rebellious against what we find in scripture. One preview showed the preachers daughter who seemed to be rebellious behind closed doors and then the movie promoted a change from the traditional christian values, they seem to promote that it is good to go against our christian principles taught in scripture and that to stick to them is evil, the previews were just realy offensive and was marked by rebellion and showing off of the body, and that was offensive to me. I don't know know if that was for every theatre, but hopefully they change that. The movie itself was good, i could not tell that some of them were christians until half way through the movie.

OK, fair enough.

By the way, what movie were you there at the theater to see when these previews were shown??

Krispy

2011/10/12 16:29
jimp

Re:

dear bible4life, please cut yourself some slack and others also.your expectations are higher then Gods.

2011/10/12 17:47Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy