SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Keswick (Deeper Life) Theology - Please Someone Help Me With This!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
MichaelLiao

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

Zac Poonen himself is a Keswick/Deeper Life preacher and His teachings have convicted me and blessed me to be more diligent in Christ.

2011/10/10 22:34Profile

Re: Michael

Brother to quote John Bunyon. 'Pray and read and read and pray'. That is read your Bible and pray. Let God give you his insights. Bunyon also said 'a little from God is better than a whole lot from men'.

The downside with a place like Sermon Index is we can download all sorts of sermons and regugitate what they say. But is more of a challenge and a blessing to go to God and hear his voice. We need to be hearing for Jesus for ourselves.

Just some thoughts.

Blaine

2011/10/10 22:37
TrueWitness

Re:

Michael,
After reading that link you gave on Packer's dissatisfaction with Keswick teaching, commenter's to that article pointed out that all of the things Packer was critical of were corrected by the late 1980s. Anyway, I found a link near the bottom of the comments on that article you linked to that presents a balance view of Keswick theology as it is taught today:

http://www.bcmedu.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73:keswick-a-good-word-or-a-bad-one&catid=33:articles&Itemid=166

or

http://0101.nccdn.net/1_5/270/368/236/Good-one-or-Bad-one.pdf

2011/10/11 1:15Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

You'll find useful information on this site...

http://www.enterhisrest.org/

2011/10/14 10:43Profile
MichaelLiao

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thank you

Dear Brethren,

Thank you all for your resources. May the LORD richly bless you in his love, mercy, and grace.

Father, help us all in this time to know You and to seek Your face. We're living in the time of trial, but we ask for your grace to bring us through, and the power to stay in the truth, for very easily we can stray. God help us, we cannot help ourselves in these matters. I ask Lord for my brothers and sisters here to press on and not give up on this race. So God help us all...

In Jesus' Name,

Amen

Father, gives us grace
To seek Your face
To know the price that has been paid
That on that Cross, when Jesus died
He bore our sin to grant us life

In Christ,

- Michael Liao

2011/10/14 11:49Profile
pilgrim777

Re: Thank you

Many Christians say, "God only requires one to be righteous. His Son". The thought goes that since He is righteous, God does not require me to be righteous. This is a typical response coming from Christendom, today.

Does God require men to be righteous? Here many Christians would respond, "No". They take a view called positional holiness that can be expressed as follows: "Oh, yes, I am very unholy and I commit sin; I sin in thought, word and deed every day, but by virtue of my position in Christ, all Christ's perfect righteousness is accredited to me so that God does not even see my sin; He sees only Christ and since I have my position in Christ, I remain holy before God."

The logic is, because of my position in Christ, God does not see me, He sees only Christ. "Since Christ is righteous, I am righteous."

In this view one see righteousness as a legal position in Christ rather than a life of righteousness. They would say you cannot be righteous, only reckoned righteous. Faith enters into a legalistic reckoning of all sins, past, present and future, as already remitted. A permanent justification encompasses all the future sins he may commit, and nothing he does will change his position in Christ. Faith has completed the work, he no longer is responsible to repent.

Also a certain gnosticism has entered the church that says the knowledge of it makes it so. In this view, righteousness is just a matter of knowledge. If you know it, then it is yours. Confess it, and it will be so. This accomodates the positional view of righteousness. But, does a confession of righteousness make one righteous? Does God want us to walk in righteous or just confess it?

Is faith a substitute for repentance?

Pilgrim

2011/10/14 13:11Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Small excerpt from "a good word or bad word".

"""Inaccurate Accusations Passivity
Some accuse Keswick of passivity. This is probably because Keswick emphasizes resting in Christ. However, the emphasis is not to sit back and do nothing, but rather trust to obey! The emphasis is not idle passivity, but active cooperation—the cooperation of surrendering to the Spirit’s leadership and depending on His enablement. This is walking in the Spirit, which obviously involves steps, not quietistic passivity. But the steps are steps of faith, not the mere motions of flesh-dependent activity. This is what brings rest, for when you yoke up with Jesus, He carries the load!
Keswick denounces “struggle theology,” which is flesh-dependence in an effort to live the Christian life, because works-sanctification is just as wrong as works-justification (Gal. 3:1-3). You do not get justified by faith, and then get sanctified by struggle. Sanctification is also by faith, for “without faith it is impossible to please God” (Heb.11:6). Obviously there are struggles in life, but flesh-dependence for frustrated Christian living is an unnecessary struggle. Faith for victory means you are depending on the victorious Life of Christ to enable you to obey. It is not a matter of you trying to live the Christian life (hollow motions), it is a matter of trusting the indwelling Christ to enable you for the steps of obedience (empowered motions). So victory without trying does not mean victory doing nothing; it means victory with trusting. True faith is not an inward, “navel-gazing,” self-focus; it is focusing rather on Christ, the true object of faith, that He might express His Life through yours. To accuse Keswick theology of passivity is simply not accurate."""

Answer to your question: " Is faith a substitute for repentance? "

No, it is the substance of it.

http://www.bcmedu.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73:keswick-a-good-word-or-a-bad-one&catid=33:articles&Itemid=166

In Christ: Phillip

2011/10/14 13:37Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

That's pretty good, Phillip.

Abraham was not justified for just "believing", he actually did something that proved he believed.

To walk as Christ walked is definitely "doing." But it is doing by faith.

Walking in the Spirit is doing. Resting is doing. Fighting the flesh and walking after the Spirit is doing.

Surrendering to the Spirit is doing.

We are to walk as Jesus walked. He always DID what He saw His Father DOING, He always spoke, what He heard His Father SPEAKING, etc. And so it is with us.

The Christian walk is very active yet at rest (in Him). Resting from our own works of righteousness, we walk in His righteousness. From glory to glory and faith to faith we are supposed to experientially walk in more and more righteousness (called growing up in Christ to maturity).

Pilgrim

2011/10/14 14:03Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

"""It is not a matter of you trying to live the Christian life (hollow motions), it is a matter of trusting the indwelling Christ to enable you for the steps of obedience (empowered motions)."""

Empowered works. By His working in me mightily.

Perfect in Christ:

Col 1: 28-29

In Christ: Phillip

2011/10/14 14:28Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Amen, Phillip.

We must walk in His ways, strength, peace, rest, and His WORKS. His works are His will.

Jesus said, "Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work", John 4:34

That is our meat (work), too.

Find His will and you will find your work. It's not that complicated but we make it complicated.

Martyr,

You are right. We have to trust the Holy Spirit more to speak to us and explain His Word. We trust men more than the Holy Spirit. What He gives you, no man can take away, but what you get from men you can often be talked out of.

Pilgrim

2011/10/14 15:47Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy