SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Keswick (Deeper Life) Theology - Please Someone Help Me With This!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
MichaelLiao

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Keswick (Deeper Life) Theology - Please Someone Help Me With This!

Hey guys,

I just wanted to ask about Keswick Theology. I know there are guys in this camp such as Watchman Nee, Charles Trumbull, D.L. Moody, Hudson Taylor, and I assume Andrew Murray as well, and pretty much we hear them quote Galatians 2:20, "I'm crucified with Christ, it is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith IN/OF the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me." It can be called the Abiding Life, the Exchanged Life, Crucified Life, Christ in you etc. But recently I've come across some criticism against this kind of teaching by reformed people like J.I. Packer.

I have a lot of material that is rooted in Keswick theology, like "The Normal Christian Life" by Watchman Nee, I had "The Overcoming Life" by Nee as well, "Victory in Christ" by Charles Trumbull, "The Indwelling Life of Christ" by Major Ian Thomas, "Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secrets" by Mr. and Mrs. Howard Taylor, "The True Vine" by Andrew Murray, and many others. Their teachings seem biblical, not just found in Galatians 2:20, but in many parts of the Bible, that we ought to rest on the Lord, like Isaiah 40:28-31, Psalm 46:10, Psalm 68:19, John 15:5, Phil. 2:12-13, Phil. 4:13, Col. 1:27, 1 John 4:4, and many more. Can anyone please help me with this?

In Christ,

- Michael Liao

2011/10/10 14:21Profile
MichaelLiao

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Keswick Theology - Please Someone Help Me With This!

Anybody?

2011/10/10 14:33Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

On the "Audio Sermon's" page of this website there are 155 sermons posted by Alan Redpath, and Around 65 Sermons Posted by Major Thomas. The best answer for your questions would be to get out your bible, your journal, get some callouses on your knees and start listening to these preachers and evaluating what they say in light of scripture, with a heart that is willing to learn and a mind that is ready to receive, as well as weigh any false inclinations in the balances of truth.

Both of them were Keswick Preachers, and there are dozens of others on this website.

2011/10/10 14:44Profile
MichaelLiao

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Keswick Theology - Please Someone Help Me With This!

Just to let everyone know, I am not advocating passivity in the Christian life, as many people have criticized Keswick theology for doing. I just don't have enough background on it.

2011/10/10 14:45Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

I think our Reformed brethren got stuck wallowing in the slough of despond of Romans 7 and deny the rest of the Scriptures. This have brought so much shame to the name of Christ, and needs to be stopped.
Denying the exchanged life is denying the power of Christ in the church by the Holy Spirit, Revival, and church history.
Many Reformed characters who had the experience of the exchanged life dared not speak of it in obvious terms lest they be called heretics. Among those Jonathan Edwards, Whitefield, Spurgeon and anyone who was used by God in Revivals or awakenings.

2011/10/10 14:46Profile
MichaelLiao

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

Wow! Really...

Edwards and Whitefield....

I did read up on Spurgeon and how his material was pretty close to it though.....

2011/10/10 14:52Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Not only is this a great place to start, but this is also one of the best sermons on this website in my opinion. It is called "A Grain of Wheat" by Major Ian Thomas. It will give you an excellent encapsulation.

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=270&commentView=itemComments

****Edit****

While it is one of my favorites, I realize my simply stating that pre-loads your reception, again value it based on what is said in light of scripture.

2011/10/10 14:52Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

This is a good article about George Whitefield experience with the Holy Spirit baptism.
http://enrichmentjournal.ag.org/199704/078_whitefield.cfm

2011/10/10 15:40Profile
MichaelLiao

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/kevindeyoung/2010/06/30/pietistic-goofiness-how-keswick-theology-nearly-destroyed-j-i-packer/

Here's a link to where J.I. Packer criticizes the Keswick theology. Tell me what you guys think....

In Christ,

- Michael Liao

2011/10/10 15:41Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

This is a quote by Jonathan Edwards.

" Once, as I rode out into the woods for my health, in 1737, having alighted from my horse in a retired place, as my manner commonly has been, to walk for divine contemplation and prayer, I had a view that for me was extraordinary, of the glory of the Son of God, as Mediator between God and man, and his wonderful, great, full, pure and sweet grace and love, and meek and gentle condescension. This grace that appeared so calm and sweet, appeared also great above the heavens. The person of Christ appeared ineffably excellent, with an excellency great enough to swallow up all thought and conception — which continued, as near as I can judge, about an hour; which kept me the greater part of the time in a flood of tears, and weeping aloud. I felt an ardency of soul to be, what I know not otherwise how to express, emptied and annihilated; to lie in the dust, and to be full of Christ alone; to love him with a holy and pure love; to trust in him; to live upon him; to serve and follow him; and to be perfectly sanctified and made pure, with a divine and heavenly purity. I have several other times had views very much of the same nature, and which have had the same effects."

2011/10/10 15:50Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy