SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Inspiration from 2 Samuel

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Jeremy221

Inspiration from 2 Samuel

Dearest SI-ers,

I felt I should start this thread as a place for the brethren to promote the revelation the Holy Spirit about this book.

Jeremy221

2011/10/8 4:22Profile
Jeremy221

Inspiration from 2 Samuel 21

2 Samuel 21 - Fruit of our predecessors

Israel faces three years of famine during the reign of David. Aware of the workings of the Lord, David seeks His face to know the cause. The Lord points to the fact that Saul had sinned against the Lord by breaking covenant with remnant of the Amonites in an attempt to annihilate them. As a result, David seeks to make restitution to the Amonites by handing over seven of Saul's descendants but not Mephibosheth, the son of Jonathon with whom David had made a covenant. I believe at this point that David's conscience was pricked that he had not honored the Lord's annointed, Saul, in death as he had in life. As a result he had the bones of Saul and his sons that had died in battle with him, taken and buried Saul's father Kish. And at this point the famine lifted.

Interpretation: we are to honor God's anointed despite failings, dead or alive. We should also understand that our current hardship may be sue to our predecessor's sin and do as David did. Being honest and repenting for some else's sin may reveal our own. This event caused David to see how he had not honored Saul in his death when Saul had been removed from the place of authority and leadership God had given him. This is an issue of honoring God because He has placed people like this in authority and is mirrored in other parts of Scripture like 1 Peter.

2011/10/8 12:26Profile
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Re: Inspiration from 2 Samuel

It seems to me that through the heart of David that God reveals honor due the Lord's chosen. Not a hundred percent on the application today, and maybe that is a subject worthy of discussion. I do see consistency in David's honor of Saul as seen in 2nd Samuel 1:14-16 and 4 8-12. I cannot speak as to the concern for their bones but I understand the honor due the annointed better because of David's many accounts dealing with Saul both alive and dead. Not overlooking the drought brought on the Land by Saul's actions concening the covenant that had long before been made with these people, but I kind of see this as a shared condition where both the innocent and the guilty suffer together.

ybiC

2011/10/14 1:53Profile
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Re:

Sorry but one last minute note. It is such an idelible testimony to see honor given to those who are not worthy of it. It is granted them by God who appoints them roles which honor accompanies. Saul was a great example of this. Even being hunted for purpose of death, David would be struck with incredible guilt over the cutting of a slight piece of cloth from the King's robe. The root is his love for God and it is quite the example to all who would glean from this identification of a heart born in God.

2011/10/14 2:18Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy