SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : New Living Translation

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Pandarus

Queensland, Australia

Re:

Given KJV is the most reliable translation - and will still be with us in about 10 years after the NLT bites the dust - I stick with it.

Buuuutttt.... I have a KJV / NLT side-by-side bible. If the KJV is a little difficult to understand, I read the NLT side.

At least it's a translation. It's the lowest I'd touch. I wouldn't touch the heresy that is "the Message".

2011/9/30 5:13Profile
Lovefirst

Lake Charles, LA

Re:

I trust in Jesus Christ, my faith is in Him. The Holy Spirit will lead us into all truth, not the KJV of the bible. To be honest, it makes me ill to see people say that the only bible one can trust to read is KJV(Not that anyone here has said it as far as I know). As if it is something to be worshiped. What about all my brothers and sisters in Christ who DO NOT read english?

I'll keep my faith in Jesus Christ for eternal life, allowing His Holy Spirit to guide me into all truth regardless of what bible translation I read. I often think about those that cannot have bibles lest they die or just cannot afford one. They are born again and would just love and cherish to have one or two chapters of any version of the bible they could get their hands on.

2011/9/30 5:32Profile

Re: Lovefirst

Very well said. It is sad to see the bickering over translations when places like China are still pleading for Bibles. I read on a VOM magazine that the largest bookstore chain in China, like our Barnes and Nobles, is not allowed to carry Bibles. You can go into that store and buy a copy of the Koran or any other religious book. But not the Bible. Should tell us something.

Blaine

2011/9/30 8:23
Creation7

Re:

Quote:
Very well said. It is sad to see the bickering over translations when places like China are still pleading for Bibles.

Sigh. Blaine, here you go again. You need to STOP. Stop acting like one issue is the only issue. Stop trying to make people feel guilty for discussing anything other than what you deem most important. You are not in honor preferring those on here who want to discuss something. If you don't like discussing these issues, just stay out of them. Please.

2011/9/30 9:15Profile

Re: Creation

You presume my post was a judgement upon this thread. Not so. I liked what Lovefirst said. I commende him for it. His post brought things in perspective. I said something to amplify it. End of discussion.

Blaine

2011/9/30 9:37
Creation7

Re:

I never said a thing about you "judging" this thread. What I'm tired of is you always trying to make us feel guilty for discussing anything other than the persecuted church. Someone starts a thread, it is apparent someone has a disagreement, and then invariably you'll come on here and say something to the effect of, "Guys, don't you realize that saints around the world are spilling their blood for Christ, and you're arguing about this?" Yes, it sounds oh-so-spiritual, but it gets really old, really fast.

2011/9/30 9:54Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: New Living Translation

Jeff9: Welcome to the forum.

As a teacher I have a bit different perspective. The KJV, although I like it best, has a vocabulary which excludes many readers. We have a literate mass rather than a literate minority. When the KJV was written usually only the best minds were literate and so the reading level was, on average, higher. My wife used to buy the NIRV or other easy read versions to give to children or those who had a lower reading level. Translations like the NLT are therefore helpful. I still contend that the KJV is probably the best for serious study, but I am all for versions that bring the word to those who cannot understand the KJV. Some of these translations are also very good and quite scholarly.

2011/9/30 10:06Profile
allaboard

Re:

Martyr, you may want to read this to understand what people are trying to tell you.

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=36339&forum=34&2

2011/9/30 10:33Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Re: New Living Translation

Quote:
Jeff9 wrote:
... which I have been advised was disasterous.

So you've not even read it and are yet condemning it?

Brother, I beseech you to sit down with your "Authorized Version" and a New Living Translation, side by side and see for yourself, then YOU will know.

God bless you,
Sister Lisa

2011/9/30 11:02Profile
Creation7

Re:

Quote:
Martyr, you may want to read this to understand what people are trying to tell you.

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=36339&forum=34&2

Exactly what I'm trying to say. Please give it some thought, Blaine.

2011/9/30 12:40Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy