SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Indiana Pastor: 'Saved' Should Be Removed From Church Vocabulary

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Compton

Re:

I am fascinated by how words and ideas seem connected when really they are two separate things. Sometimes the connections between words and ideas are helpful, and other times they aren't.

I'm not for "banning" words, but I think it's worthwhile to see if we can express the ideas behind our normal words. After all, a parrot can say words like "saved" and "free" but still cannot understand their meaning. Perhaps this pastor is simply observing that the word "saved" isn't always clear enough to convey the actual idea intended.

2011/9/3 17:37Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

I really do not know where this pastor is coming from but the idea is not all that far off the wall.

We have talked a lot with Jehovah Witnesses. We used Christian jargon and they agreed with us many times. Then we were baffled until we learned they impose different meanings to these words then what evangelical Christianity does.

As a result of these conversations, I have learned to refrain from using theological terms in discussing theology or doctrine with those who may well impose radically different meanings to them. Since it is so important that we communicate one must use language that is clearly understood by both - even if it means using two dozen words to describe a concept when normally one word would do.

Quote by Compton:
"I'm not for "banning" words, but I think it's worthwhile to see if we can express the ideas behind our normal words. After all, a parrot can say words like "saved" and "free" but still cannot understand their meaning. Perhaps this pastor is simply observing that the word "saved" isn't always clear enough to convey the actual idea intended."

Well said.

2011/9/3 21:01Profile

Re:

Compton said:
"I'm not for "banning" words, but I think it's worthwhile to see if we can express the ideas behind our normal words. After all, a parrot can say words like "saved" and "free" but still cannot understand their meaning. Perhaps this pastor is simply observing that the word "saved" isn't always clear enough to convey the actual idea intended."

This ^.

2011/9/3 23:12
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re: Indiana Pastor: 'Saved' Should Be Removed From Church Vocabulary

"An Indiana megachurch pastor says he is annoyed at the word “saved,” especially when used among Christians to describe someone that has made a commitment to follow Jesus for the rest of their lives."

It sounds like he does not care whether the word is used among Christians or non-Christians. He seems to be against the word period. Can't say for sure it's the case with this pastor but many pastors these days want to get rid of words from the Bible because they feel they are offensive. Words or phrases like "the blood of Jesus", "hell", etc.

It's the same old liberal, seeker sensitive mentality which is prevalent in many churches.

The word saved appears in the Bible too many times to count, referring to salvation from sin and God's wrath.

I agree we should preach the words of the Bible and explain them. It's not that hard to explain what we mean by "saved". The first thing that comes to non-believers' minds is "saved from what?" We should not shy away from explaining to them what we are saved from. Too many Christians are afraid of offending non-Christians and therefore do not speak plainly to them about their need of forgiveness of sins through Christ.

2011/9/4 1:55Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re: Indiana Pastor: 'Saved' Should Be Removed From Church Vocabulary

I am seeing something very interesting now where I attend, its a mix of evangelism but at the same time I ask where does a line get drawn in the sand. I know that is asking a lot for anyone to cut straight through and call that which is Black, black and that which is white, white and to try and make the "Grey" area minimal.

I say the Word of God is our Line that we need to follow first and for most. I have seen services evolve and change simple to "bring in the Nonchristians" so the function of Sunday morning service was a gear of Evangelism, which I agree with we shoud share the Good news as often as possible.

Christianese is a funny language and just like English has words that simply mean something different based on the person. My problem with the word "saved" is not the fact that its used but the misuse of the word in and of itself. Ask the average Christian what they are saved from and they will likely tell you hell. But are we really saved from Hell? That wasn't the purpose of Christ at all, He came to save His People From their SINS. Ah now its appropriate to used the word saved.

So I could walk up to a Christian or NonChristian and say the Lord Jesus Christ SAVED me from my wicked life style. It was selfdestructive, selfish, and wrong on so many levels. Eureka now there is some clarity on Salvation, unfortunately the average Christian views themselves simply saved from Hell which we all deserve, which is a judgment coming not from the devil (common misconception) BUT a Just and Holy God. Satan isn't the ring leader of hell who will torture us forever NO he will join us in the flames should we go to Hell (a place we rightfully deserve)

This is what the average Christian doesn't know. Now back to my main point, if this pastors intent is simply to make people feel comfortable to increase his paycheck then he is wrong in that aspect. But we don't know his intention and everything is mear speculation. Remove the word? Nah but there definitely needs to be a clarification not only to NonChristians what Saved means but to Christians as well.

(P.S. Sorry this was kind of long)

2011/9/4 3:34Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy