SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Christian Acting?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Creation7

Christian Acting?

Is it right for a Christian to be involved in Christian acting? Some people site 1 Kings 14:6- "And it was so, when Ahijah heard the sound of her feet, as she came in at the door, that he said, Come in, thou wife of Jeroboam; why feignest thou thyself to be another?", as a reason for not getting involved. What are your thoughts?

2011/8/27 14:14Profile
TrueWitness

Re: Christian Acting?

In the example you cited, she was acting deceitfully. That is always wrong. When I saw the title of your post I thought you were going to ask if it is ok to perform in a theatrical performance (such as a Christmas play). In theatrical performances, the audience knows that it is a re-enactment of either a real or fictional event. No deception is intended or inferred. Performing in a Christian play is ok.

2011/8/27 14:47Profile
Renoncer

The problem is not with "acting", provided the acting has a godly purpose. For instance, some of the prophets used "acting" to convey the Lord's message (e.g., 1Kings 20:35-43, Ezekiel 4:1-17).

However, most movies are dishonoring to God and promote sin. Christians should have nothing to do with ungodly movies that promote sensuality, foolish talk, pride, greed, occult practices, stealing, crime, violence, worldliness, etc. Remember that because of these things, the wrath of God is coming.(Colossians 3:6) It is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret.(Ephesians 5:11-12)

On another note, you may want to listen to Zac Poonen's take on the word "actor" - https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=4272

In Christ,
Renoncer

2011/8/27 15:51Profile
Creation7

Thanks for your thoughts; it sure gives me something to chew on. :)

2011/8/30 12:18Profile

Re:

I agree with what has been said. Acting itself is not a sin. You just have to honor God with it, just like everything else we do. I dont think it always has to be "Christian" acting, persay... but if it dishonors God we should not be involved.

Someone will bawk at what I just said, but the fact is what I do for a living... my job... is not "Christian" persay. It is Christian in that it does not dishonor God, and I do it as unto the Lord.

If you can do that in acting... go for it.

Krispy

2011/8/30 12:47
Creation7

Re:

Quote:
Someone will bawk at what I just said, but the fact is what I do for a living... my job... is not "Christian" persay. It is Christian in that it does not dishonor God, and I do it as unto the Lord.

I hadn't thought of that... well said.

2011/8/30 12:51Profile

Re:

There is actually a member of this forum who is an actor... been in a number of movies and TV shows. Had a hit theater show in Chicago a couple years ago.

I wont reveal who that is, but maybe he will read this and give you some wisdom based upon his experience.

Krispy

2011/8/30 13:49
Creation7

Re:

Quote:
There is actually a member of this forum who is an actor... been in a number of movies and TV shows. Had a hit theater show in Chicago a couple years ago.

I wont reveal who that is, but maybe he will read this and give you some wisdom based upon his experience.

And you're just going to leave us all hanging!?

P.S. Just kidding...Not that it matters to me. XD

2011/8/30 13:55Profile

Re:

He keeps it under wraps. Doesnt want anyone treating him as if he is someone special.

...and he isnt any more or less special than any of us.

Krispy

2011/8/30 13:58
Creation7

Re:

Amen! And I don't watch TV anyway, so I probably wouldn't know him from Adam.

2011/8/30 14:01Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy