SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : 5.9 quake hits Virginia/D.C.; 5.3 strikes Colorado, New Mexico

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

I don't claim to be a prophet and I can't say that the recent earthquakes (or any other natural disasters) are judgments from God. But I do think, however, that there is also danger on the other side - being flippant about the possibility.

Here's what I do know: There are far too many events going on around the world for any of this to be random.

- The uptick in serious earthquakes, volcanoes, floods, tornados, and every manner of natural disasters.

- Japan's nuclear meltdown due to the earthquake and tsunami.

- Norway's evil attack on children.

- The debt crises around the world, including whole countries needing bailouts. Not to mention

- Massive unrest, revolutions and fears in the Middle East.

- Israel facing a nuclear Iran who declares their Mahdi is near that war with Israel will precede his coming.

-Recent riots in London. Flash mob violence in the US.

These are just a mere fraction of what's been going on. I'm not going to play with semantics over these are "warnings," "judgments" or anything else. The fact of the matter is, God is trying to get our attention. He's giving people the chance to recognize Him, repent and turn to Him. THIS is the important message in all of this, not who is being punished or judged or who is going to come out claiming this is judgment.

Haggai said this was coming in chapter 2:6-7: “For thus says the Lord of hosts, ‘Once more in a little while, I am going to shake the heavens and the earth, the sea also and the dry land. I will shake all the nations.

And again in verses 20-21: "I am going to shake the heavens and the earth. I will overthrow the thrones of kingdoms and destroy the power of the kingdoms of the nations.”

And we're all familiar with Hebrews 12:25-27 by now, "See that you do not refuse Him who speaks. For if they did not escape who refused Him who spoke on earth, much more shall we not escape if we turn away from Him who speaks from heaven, whose voice then shook the earth; but now He has promised, saying, “Yet once more I shake not only the earth, but also heaven.” Now this, “Yet once more,” indicates the removal of those things that are being shaken, as of things that are made, that the things which cannot be shaken may remain."

The point is, God is shaking things up - shaking people up - so they'll let go of the things that give them false peace. He's shaking up the folly of the governments of the world. He's doing all this by even shaking the world itself!

His goal? To get people to turn from their sins, accept and reverence Him as their God and Savior.

2011/8/24 5:43Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

by ginnyrose on 2011/8/23 19:05:33

And now a hurricane is threatening the east coast...

Yes all along the east coast and there are many brothers and sisters in Christ in these areas so please be praying.
rdg

2011/8/24 8:49Profile
browny

Re:

Search For Hidden Damage After East Coast Quake
by The Associated Press

text size A A A MINERAL, Va. August 24, 2011, 09:13 am ET
Office buildings, schools and towering landmarks were being inspected Wednesday for hidden structural flaws a day after initial checks turned up little damage from a rare East Coast earthquake.

Public schools and a handful of government buildings in Washington remained closed for further assessment, and engineers were taking a closer look at cracks in the Washington Monument and broken capstones at the National Cathedral. Some residents of D.C. suburbs were staying in shelters because of structural concerns at their apartment buildings.

Further south, Tuesday's 5.8-magnitude quake also shattered windows and wrecked grocery stores near its Virginia epicenter. There were no known deaths or serious injuries.

The head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency said the quake serves as a reminder for residents to be prepared.

"We talk about hurricanes this time of year, but we forget that A: earthquakes don't have a season and B: they are not just a western hazard," FEMA administrator Craig Fugate said in an interview Wednesday on ABC's Good Morning America.

When the quake struck, many feared terrorism in New York and Washington — places where nerves are raw as the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks approaches. The tremblor sent many pouring from high-rises like the Empire State Building.

"I ran down all 60 flights," accounting office worker Caitlin Trupiano said. "I wasn't waiting for the elevator."

Chris Kardian, working in his garage in suburban Richmond, Va., not far from the epicenter, opted for the more prosaic and plausible: He blamed the shaking on two of his children in the overhead playroom.

"I just thought they were running around and being really loud," he said. "After about 15 seconds, it didn't stop and I thought, `I don't have that many kids in the house!'"

The most powerful earthquake to strike the East Coast in 67 years shook buildings and jarred as many as 12 million people. The U.S. Geological Survey said it was centered 40 miles northwest of Richmond in Mineral.

The U.S. Park Service evacuated and closed all monuments and memorials along the National Mall. The Pentagon, the White House, the Capitol and federal agencies in and around Washington were evacuated. Roads out of the city were clogged with commuters headed home.

Stressed-out D.C. mother of four Marion Babcock, who spent two hours traffic instead of her normal 25 minutes, did the only sensible thing for her frazzled, frightened kids: "I treated their post-traumatic stress with copious amounts of chocolate mint and cookie dough ice cream."

Between cell phones and social networks, news of the quake seemed to travel faster than the temblor itself.

Jenna Scanlon of Floral Park, N.Y., ended a phone call with someone in McLean, Va., and announced to her office colleagues there had been an earthquake. Seconds later, 7 World Trade Center began to shake.

The scope of the damage — or lack of — also quickly became clear on social networks. Instead of collapsed freeways, people posted images of toppled lawn chairs and yogurt cups, broken Bobbleheads, picture frames askew on walls.

On Facebook, people joked with posts such as "S&P has downgraded earthquake to a 2.0," a swipe at the rating agency that recently lowered the federal government's creditworthiness. Another suggested New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, a large man, had just "jumped into" the presidential race.

A 5.8-magnitude quake releases as much energy as almost eight kilotons of TNT, about half the power of the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima, Japan, during World War II.

Still, those along the West Coast who are used to the earth moving couldn't help but take a jab or two.

"Really all this excitement over a 5.8 quake??? Come on East Coast, we have those for breakfast out here!!!!" wrote Dennis Miller, a lifelong California resident whose Pleasanton home sits on a fault line.

A 5.8, he said, wouldn't even wake him from his sleep.

"We were laughing," said 26-year-old San Francisco resident Stellamarie Hall, "but we definitely understand that New York and certain metropolitan areas are not designed around earthquakes."

The earthquake that devastated Japan released more than 60,000 times more energy than Tuesday's, but there was real damage. At the majestic Washington National Cathedral, at least three of the four top stones on the central tower fell off, and cracks appeared in the flying buttresses at the cathedral's east end, the oldest part of the structure. The top of the Washington Monument has a crack.

Ceiling tiles fell to the floor at Reagan National Airport. The gothic-style Smithsonian Castle, built in 1857, had minor cracks and broken glass. And vigorous shaking left a crack and hole in the ceiling at historic Union Station when a chunk of plaster fell near the main entrance.

The steeple and bell tower at St. Patrick Catholic Church in Baltimore were badly damaged, and the building was closed as a precaution.

In West Virginia, environmental regulators sent engineers to inspect massive coal slurry dams that could wipe out entire communities if they were to fail and release billions of gallons of wastewater.

Meanwhile, the Tennessee Valley Authority said that checks of its dams and nuclear plants in several states had turned up no problems.

Amtrak said trains along the Northeast Corridor between Baltimore and Washington were operating at reduced speeds and crews were inspecting stations and railroad infrastructure before returning to normal.

Even those who knew what was happening had braced for worse, some remembering the Indian Ocean quake that triggered a tsunami and a nuclear disaster in Japan.

"I knew it was an earthquake, but my first thought was, `Oh my God, something's going to happen to the power plant," said 21-year-old Whitney Thacker in Mineral, Va., a town near the epicenter where the sidewalks were littered with fallen stones, masonry and broken glass. "It was scary."

Dominion Virginia Power shut down its two-reactor nuclear power plant within 10 miles of the quake's epicenter, but said there was no evidence of any damage to the decades-old North Anna Power Station.

In a news release, the utility company said off-site power to the nuclear plant was restored Tuesday night and it was no longer relying on backup generators. The utility didn't say when the plant's two reactors would be restarted.

By the standards of the West Coast, where earthquakes are much more common, the Virginia quake was mild. Since 1900, there have been 40 of magnitude 5.8 or greater in California alone.

But quakes in the East tend to be felt across a much broader area, the waves traveling "pretty happily out for miles," said U.S. Geological Survey seismologist Susan Hough.

The last quake of equal power to strike the East Coast was in New York in 1944. The largest East Coast quake on record was a 7.3 that hit South Carolina in 1886.

The fear in some places was real.

Michael Leman had been mowing a neighbor's lawn in Mineral when bricks began falling from a chimney and the earth heaved a large propane tank about a foot off the ground.

"I thought that tank was about to explode," he said, "and I ran for dear life."

———

2011/8/24 10:37Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

I hope I am not hijacking this thread by posting this. Someone posted this and it appeared on my Facebook page. It caused me think and ask if christians are really shallow or what is the meaning behind this.
The passage is below

New King James Version (NKJV)
7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences,[a] and earthquakes in various places

What I am seeing here is something that has taken place throughout written history. I know this verse was probably published in light of the earthquake we just had but yet, is this rightly using the Bible? Why do you think this verse was place in its place in the first place?
For what purpose does it serve us if these things have been happening throughout recorded history and why should we use this verse for anything constructive today>

2011/8/24 10:45Profile

Re:

Certainly the frequency and magnitude of earthquakes in the last century are very possibly a sign. I dont question that.

What I question are the Pat Robertsons of the world running out everytime something happens and saying some really stupid things. I'm not saying Pat and those people are 100% wrong because I dont necessarily think they always are. I just wish they would speak with wisdom and discernment. Most do not.

The earth's plates shift. Thats how God designed them. Thats what happened yesterday.

As for the hurricane... well, it's hurricane season! It happens. And actually, we have not had a major hurricane on the east coast since Katrina... 6 years ago. That's unheard of. We usually get 2 or 3 big ones (obviously not as big as Katrina) every year.

If we base our eschotology on FoxNews and the Weather Channel we will get off track.

Krispy

2011/8/24 11:47
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Yes the media has really gone wild, they get folks in the panic mode about Hurricanes as soon as it starts raining off the coast of Africa, and the Weather channel really takes advantage of the Hurricanes, they turn up the hype 80%. I agree, we must use our wisdom to help us prepare for national disasters of all kinds, but the scare tactics that the media employ, could possibly be defined as humorous. It's all about attracting attention during possible disasters, and cranking up the commercials during the shows to make more money, and brother do they crank up the commercials.

2011/8/24 12:42Profile

Re:

Thats ALL it is... it's about the $$. Everyone sits glued to the TV watching the same loop for days on end. Nothing new coming out, but you dont want to walk away in case you miss the "breaking news".

And Christians are just as guilty. I know some Christians that are completely hooked to the other CNN known as FoxNews aka the Christian News Network. Cuz everyone knows if you're a Christian you watch FoxNews.

No one stops to consider that FoxNews is part of the Fox Broacasting company that puts out some of the trashiest TV shows known to man... and some of those shows mock and blaspheme God on a regular basis. But somehow FoxNews is the media outlet of choice for Christians.

I dont get that.

I know the Mormon Glenn Beck lost his show on there, but Christians were hooked on his show! I can not believe how many Christians have tried to convince me that Glenn Beck is a Christian, even tho he's a Mormon. Total ignorance! And then his last book came out where it articulated his beliefs which are a mix of Mormon and New Age mysticism... and still... still... in some Christian circles if I bring this up I'm the bad guy. He's "saved" and who am I to judge? (read the Bible, we are commanded to judge)

Wow... how did I go down that rabbit trail..??

Krispy

2011/8/24 13:04

Re: The earthquake is a judgement!

I will come out and say it. The earthquake is a judgement. It is a sign of the return of Jesus Christ. The accounts of Mat 24:7 and Mk 13:8 teach that earthquakes along with plagues and famines would be the birth pangs that precede the return of Jrsus. In Lk 21:11 the writer tells us there will be GREAT EARTHQUAKES in various places.

Two years ago a great earthquake hit Hatai where over 200,000 people died. A few months later another earthquake hit Chile which shifted the earth about 1 or 2 degrees on its axis. Back in the spring another earthquake occurred which created the tsuname that struck Japan and many thousands died and without Christ. And now this earthquake that struck the east coast and the one in the west.

The frequency of the quakes are increasing and will continue to increasee as God gets ready to culminate history on this planet. It is said that history is His Story. God in his mercy has not left us without a guide book. Jesus has told us what will precede his return. We do well to heed the prophetic implications of these quakes because his return draweth nigh.

I find it very sobering that the earhquake on the east coast struck the nations capitol. The Capitol along with the White House and Pentagon were shaken. It is as if God were sending a warning saying that the kingdom of man is temporary. For He is going to return to culminate an eternal kingdom. One where He will ultimately rule over the nations.

Let us be wise and discern the times. There is an urgency that cries for the saint to be about the Master's business. Each quake should be a reminder that Christ will soon return. Let us be awake and vigilant. For our salvation is now nearer than when we first believed.

Posted by Blaine Scogin

2011/8/24 13:33

Re: Add on

The quake that occurred off the coast of Japan is considered to be the most powerful in human history. Scientist said that the earth was shifted about 10 degrees on its axis. Japan was moved 8 feet closer to the U S. This quake would tie into Luke's definition of a great earthquake. The return of Jesus draweth near.

Blaine Scogin

2011/8/24 13:51
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

What percentage of the past 2000 years have they been keeping records of earthquakes? 10%? so are we going to judge what we are seeing now on 10% of these? What if they had 50 earth quakes of a magnitude of 7.5 or more in 900 AD? how would we know? how do we compare? and there is no possible way for anyone to know if the frequency of the quakes are increasing,increasing compared to what? as we know it because of the records we have? There is just not enough evidence of the past 2000 years to compare it to today's times.

2011/8/24 14:03Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy