SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Communion question

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

`Isn't this verse very clear, krautfrau? "Let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup." There's only one interpretation you can get from that.`

I believe that Paul was saying here; let him do it if he wishes.

2011/8/19 11:04

Re:

I did not say it was a pointless Jewish ceremony - it obviously had meaning then and when the Lord celebrated the last supper what I said was that it is without purpose now that we have the real thing which was signified.

2011/8/19 11:06
Creation7

Re:

" 'I believe that Paul was saying here; let him do it if he wishes.' "

But this topic should be read in context of verse 2: "Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you"

That was what he said fist, and then started talking about it.

2011/8/19 11:23Profile

Re:

Quote:
I did not say it was a pointless Jewish ceremony

Yea, actually you did. You didnt say it was "Jewish", but you said it was "pointless as the Jewish ceremonies". Same thing. Here's what you said:

Quote:
It is not wrong to take it, but rather pointless as the Jewish ceremonies which were symbolic have been fulfilled and the supper is in Spirit and truth just like everything in the OT.

Now, I will agree there is nothing magical about communion. Transubstantiation is a heresy (among many!) of the Roman Catholic Church.

Paul is not merely telling someone they can do it they want to... he is exhorting them to do it correctly. If it was no big deal then he would not have bothered addressing that.

On top of that, it was the HOLY SPIRIT that was speaking thru Paul. Therefore we can believe that this IS an important issue to GOD because HE breathed this thru Paul.

I will agree there are deeper meanings in scripture than a mere literal interpretation. However the deeper spiritual meaning will NEVER contradict the literal, and the vice versa. If it did then you could read whatever you want to into the text, and that is bad exegete and horrible hermanuetics.

Krispy

2011/8/19 11:28

Re:

Creation7... thank you, I was about to post that passage!

You are right on!

Krispy

2011/8/19 11:35
Creation7

Re:

Thanks! I think it's pretty clear...

2011/8/19 12:06Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

"Ginny read the article by Fox."

Fox - who? and where?

The last I read it was Jesus who instituted the ritual of communion - it was Herod that he called Fox. :-) Whatever Fox has to say will be subject to the scrutiny of the Scriptures. Personally, I opt for the Word because of its reliability - Jesus was the one who was crucified for me, not some other man. One does well to remind himself/herself of this sacrifice. We are forgetful people, much like the Jews were and need a few rituals to remind us of the realities of our redemption.

ginnyrose

2011/8/19 13:00Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:

"So are the Quakers."

One time I was in a conversation via email with a "Fiends" lady and oh! the fine dance she did in explaining away the need for baptism! The article was so long it wearied me to even read it! SIGH Now, if only she would have been as devoted to supporting it I wonder if that much could even have been written!

People run into lots of trouble when they work to explain away a Biblical truth, command. So many words spoken, written it actually intimidates - hence my refusal to read that stuff. Waste of time! I think baking bread or working at my embroidery machine is far more constructive!

ginnyrose

2011/8/19 13:09Profile

Re:

`It is not wrong to take it, but rather pointless as the Jewish ceremonies which were symbolic have been fulfilled and the supper is in Spirit and truth just like everything in the OT."

That should read with a comma afer pointless meaning the ceremony has no meaning anymore, being a symbol of what Christ was to achieve for us in the resurrection where we are to feed on Him by faith. It is the partaking which is pointless.

`If it was no big deal then he would not have bothered addressing that.`

The disorder was a big deal.

2011/8/19 13:12

Re:

Quote:
Fox - who? and where?

I think she meant John Fox... former head coach of the Carolina Panthers.

Krispy

2011/8/19 13:13

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy