SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : You Pharisee!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
savedtoserve

You Pharisee!

"YOU PHARISEE!"

So many people love to throw this phrase at anyone whom they think is more worried about the outward than they ought to be. I've seen it so many time on this forum, too. But this kind of use is not really what the Lord was getting at. If you look at the Scriptures carefully, Christ was saying that the Pharisees were MORE concerned about the outward than the inward and THAT was their problem.

So then folks see that and they deduct (wrongly) that the only thing that matters is your heart. NO! Christ said, Wash FIRST the inside, and THEN WASH THE OUTSIDE. It's simply a matter of priorities, not of validity. If your inside isn't washed, then you have no need to clean up the outside. But if you have been washed in the blood of the Lamb, then you have all the business in the world, it is your duty to clean up the outside!!

So may we end the pharisee name-calling unless you know for sure that that person cares more about the outward than the inward.

God bless ya'll!!

2011/8/17 16:28Profile
Veronica226

Montana

Re: You Pharisee!

savedtoserve,
Thank you for posting this. I've seen and heard this at my church as well as on here. More frequently I've heard "Don't judge me!" It seems that the phrases "that's legalism!", "that's condemning!", "that's judgmental!" and "you're a Pharisee!" are the battle cries of the modern American "church." I think it comes from people misunderstanding what the phrases mean. I recall someone, I don't remember who (maybe A. W. Tozer), saying something like, "If the Church was half afraid of sin as she is of legalism, she'd be a spotless bride pure and holy!" or something like that.

Recently the Lord has been showing me that a lot of my outward sinful actions are the result of an inward selfish attitude. If I work with the Lord to get rid of my selfish attitude then my outward actions will diminish. But that doesn't mean I ignore the outward, it just means the inward is more of a priority.

Quote:
So then folks see that and they deduct (wrongly) that the only thing that matters is your heart.

This is silly. Jesus Himself said that if your actions are vile it means your heart is vile! If your heart was truly right, right actions would flow from it.
Mark 7:20-23
And He was saying, “That which proceeds out of the man, that is what defiles the man.
21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed the evil thoughts, fornications, thefts, murders, adulteries,
22 deeds of coveting and wickedness, as well as deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride and foolishness.
23 All these evil things proceed from within and defile the man.”

2011/8/17 17:58Profile
brothergary

Re:

i think in the bible a pharrisse,was one who was not born again,so to accuse some of that is not realy nice , we should exort them to be saved

maby some times christans act like pharrisses,,,,but we should exort them rather then lable them

you no it is interesting to note that it is always the inside of the cup that contains most of the dirt ,,just by washing the inside of the cup only the cup nomaly becomes clean as a result ,for the dirt from the out side is nomly rinced wile washing the inside because of the heat of the water

the inner washng of the holy spirit makes us clean and the out side actions seem to follow as aresult of iner cleansing

2011/8/17 18:18Profile
brothergary

Re:

repentce is wroght by the holy spirit

a good tree will then produce good fruit

for it was said that a good tree cannot produce bad fruit

so producing good fruit is what a good tree does
and vica versa

how can a good truly cleance tree produce bad fruit

john said he who is born of god does not sin for his seed remain in him and he can not sin

the contex is continue in sin ,or persue sin ,all fall away into sin

he who is born of god kepeth him self and the evil one does not touch him

i agree with reformed theoly in this instant

my sheep they do hear my voice
and i know them
and they follw me
and i give to them eturnal life
and they shall never perish

god noes who are his

we may not

2011/8/17 18:29Profile
savedtoserve

Re:

Quote:
This is silly. Jesus Himself said that if your actions are vile it means your heart is vile! If your heart was truly right, right actions would flow from it.

I know, Veronica. It is indeed one of the battle cries of the modern church. God help us all. We need to wake up!!

2011/8/17 20:12Profile
mguldner

Kansas

I am no Pharisee expert but I am a former one, and the phrase takes one to know one comes to mind.

The Pharisees weren't actually Christians, they relied solely on their outward works for their salvation and made such claims as being the Sons of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and that was their salvation by blood and by simple name, "the Israelistes"

Their hearts were far from God along with any relationship they could of had. If you look at the history of the Pharisees they started out as the good guys by protecting the Jewish traditions from the Roman rule (I think maybe not Roman) This is why they were so uptight when people came to change things.

One phrase Jesus called them the most was Hypocrite which simply meant Actors, they acted like they knew what they were doing but without a relationship with the Father and Christ Jesus being a complete contrast of their lifestyles caused offense to them because their livelyhood and wealth and names were all on the line because Christ was calling them out on their Unrighteousness showing the people that somewhat trusted them to doubt their holiness.

A Pharisee will be marked by the fact that they look at others and point the blame, this ofcourse is to take the attention off their unrighteousness and boost their egos as surely they were more righteous. When you are a Pharisee you will know who else is a Pharisee because you will have similar traits, and when you are a former Pharisee they all stick out like sore thumbs.

I agree we shouldn't be name calling and telling people their Pharisees, but we should always in Love look to ourselves first and then when we see our brother in sin correct him in humility and Love, a Pharisee will get very upset and angry while a true brother in Christ will understand the intention of their brothers and sister and accept it all with Grace and Humility. Jesus corrected the Pharisees many times we should do the same when we see their focus is off the Lord with a helpful reminder as to why we gather.

2011/8/17 21:03Profile
brothergary

Re:

amen

2011/8/17 23:58Profile
Creation7

Well said!

2011/8/18 14:30Profile

Re:

What always gets me is people who judge me... for being "judgemental".

By the way, Jesus never said not to judge. He said take the log out of your eye so you can see the sliver in your brothers eye more clearly.

Krispy

2011/8/18 14:37
Creation7

Re:

Right on, KrispyKrittr. Also, I find it interesting that those who quote Matthew 7:1 (Judge not, that ye be not judged.), usually forget to quote verse 2, which says:

"For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again."

So Jesus was not just saying, judge not, period. In other words He's saying, HOW you judge, YOU will be judged.

2011/8/18 16:15Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy