SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Harry Potter and the fight against witchcraft in the church

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Harry Potter and the fight against witchcraft in the church

Galatians 5
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before , as I have also told you in time past , that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

A Nation never stay Atheist and never will according to Romans 1. As the Harry Potter films have declined this has not brought the new trend of Witchcraft in the say Twilight and Phil Pullman series.

The Church has taken the harry Potter series hook line and sinker look at the books in the christian bookshop (http://orders.wesleyowen.com/search/product/productPowerSearch.jhtml?keywords=harry%20potter&title=&authorCode=&salesGroupCode=&categoryCode=&subCategoryCode=&catalogue=&sort=&seriesCode=&publisherCode=&op=FALSE&os=ANY&pageNumber=1)

With most books like this , you get people saying such as I have read it and it has not effected me. The thing it has this movement has permeated our culture. I would hate to think if there was such a thing as time travel and some People like D L moody or someone like Charles Spurgeon saw the filth that we the christian church have accepted as we are horrified at the Evolutionary thinking some of them did accept.
If God was walking in our churches and in our camp as he did with Israel in the times when Israel was going through the Exodus what would he think. I am horrified at the things through osmosis that even I have taken up through this world.
It is shocking what we have to put with when we are say walking to say the station or even through the town the posters that line our way.

Philippians 4:8 KJV
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Matthew 5:8 KJV
Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

Titus 1:15 KJV
Unto the pure all things are pure : but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled .

I do not watch TV or go to the cinema but I anguish over my sin and not listening to God enough. Just because I do not do these things the whole society permeates with things thing.

The common excuse is there is there is some good in this evil Harry Potter so is there is in Rat Poison does that make Rat Poison good. No on the contrary, we are being killed by millimeters drawn away millimeter by millimeter from the presence of God.

Do we love the Lord to spend time with him or are we angry at him for all the things that are going on in this world sometimes I am. We need to realize that God loves us and wants to spend time with us.

What will be the next trend in evil films ?

Article on Harry Potter by Pastor
http://www.wps6.co.uk/~dev_lfld/view_page.asp?page_id=304&menu_id=231

2011/8/13 14:26Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: Harry Potter and the fight against witchcraft in the church

I realize that on this forum I would be preaching to the choir to ask this question, but I do think it is a good one to ask a person who contends that participation in Harry Potter, Twilight, etc. is OK.

How can a man who says he loves Jesus entertain himself with that from which Jesus suffered and died to set him free?

2011/8/13 18:24Profile
carters

Australia

2011/8/13 19:19Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

As I understand it, witchcraft is essentially the practice of manipulation and control by natural and supernatural means.

Gaining supernatural power as a means of fighting 'evil' has an appeal to humanity in general and children in particular. What kid doesn't want a rocketlauncher for a hand? Especially when we are free to decide what is good and what is evil for ourselves. Apart from God.

It's the 2 of the Devil's one-two punch from the garden. You won't die, you'll be as God. Deciding for yourself what is good and what is evil. And with power to fight what you decide is wrong.

There's an occult shop on a popular street here. A sign in the storefront says they help you fight evil. And their sales slogan? "We aim to help".

2011/8/13 19:45Profile

Re:

Good definition ChrisJD.

Honestly though, I have seen all of the Harry Potter's and if we condemn them, we will have to condemn every superhero, Popeye, Star Wars, you name it....

2011/8/13 20:16

Only one word is necessary to describe Harry Potter for all time: ICK.

2011/8/14 1:59
Questor

Having read all the Potter books, and seen all the films, I myself can see no harm in them for MYSELF, for I am long past my youth, and am protected by the Ruach haKodesh from the manipulation of witchcraft, none of which is portrayed by the good characters in the series.

The Potter series, in my estimation, is little more than a very well written series of adventures for those that have a taste for fantasy and fairytales, where the good have to learn hard lessons, and the bad have to be imprisoned, or killed to prevent them from harming others.

And being long past my early youth, when I believed in Santa Claus, and the Tooth Fairy, I do not take these stories seriously, nor are they meant to be so taken.

Will they lead children to the occult? I do not know, and so would keep them from the hands of the very young. When the children can tell the difference between fantasy and reality, and are well instructed, indeed, even catechised over the events of the books or films by their parents, I do not think the child would be hurt, but that is surely something for the parent only to decide.

It is good to be able to say that the books and movies emphasize frindship, loyalty, and the furtherance of good among people, and the ill effects of evil are made much of.

The plot lines and many of the characters are obviously pure fantasy, using giants, elves, gnomes, unicorns, meremaids, ghosts, talking spiders, dragons and so forth, unable to be seen on this planet anywhere that I have found. It is unfortunate that the concept of God is not touched upon, although good and evil are discussed and made quite plain.

There is nothing of the occult in the series, no spells, worship of idols, and so forth, no ouija boards, or wicken activities, but instead a portion of the population is merely inborn with the talent of 'witchcraft'. The books are personable, and meant to be purely adventurous and whimsical.

I am, however, a bit startled that the Potter books and movies are sold in Christian book stores, since there is no mention of YHVH or Yeshua in them, and the only Christian characteristic of the series is that the hero, Potter, risks himself readily to save others, is generally good and kind, although definately a faulty human, and in the end sacrifices himself to kill the bad guy.

The Churchians are not helping matters by selling these books, but as they are deceived, that is to be expected, and those that wish to keep their children untouched by make-believe may readily do so.

Definately a parent's choice only, after having read the books themselves. Those who have no taste for fantasy or sci-fi, which these books are akin to, can avoid them, however, quite easily.

Q

2011/8/17 6:20Profile

Re:

The Ruach Hakodesh does not protect us if we willingly open doors to evil. He does not protect us from ignorance, either.

You should watch the movie: Harry Potter, Witchcraft RePackaged.

Here is a short review:

Millions of American schoolchildren have a new subject in school: sorcery!

Through the Harry Potter series, the ancient occult practice of sorcery is being introduced in almost every public school in America. This video explains how Scholastic Inc., the largest publisher of children's books in the world, is supplying Harry Potter materials to millions of schoolchildren. Scholastic Inc. is using its unrivaled position in the educational system to flood classrooms and libraries with wizardry, repackaged as "children's fantasy literature." Teachers are encouraged to read the Harry Potter books aloud in class, and millions of children are being densensitized to the dangers of the occult spirit world.

Through Harry's world of sorcery they are learning the occultic tools -- occult visualization and soulish mind power, wands, brooms, spells and curses.

In this video, you will see how completely occult is the world of Harry Potter. After reading the Harry Potter books, millions of children will demand to see Warner Bros. new movie, "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone."

Christian parents have faced a similar problem for years with the teaching of evolution in their public schools. They have responded by teaching their children that they cannot believe everything they are taught in school. Now, with the Harry Potter books on sorcery becoming part of public school curriculum, parents need to know enough about it to also teach their children that the spell-casting and other activities of Harry Potter are also forbidden territory. This video will help.

2011/8/17 8:12
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

I find it amazing how witchcraft has been brought into the church through these books.
In the bookshops they were selling these books right beside spell and witchcraft kits
http://www.pacinst.com/witch.htm link from an ex witch regarding the harry potter series.

2 Corinthians 6:16 KJV
And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said , I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

It seems that christians struggle that if something is popular christians try and christianize it whether it is the simpsons or some other thing to connect to the culture rather than using the power of the Gospel.

Galations 5
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before , as I have also told you in time past , that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

the bible states that you shall not inherit the kingdom of god if your practise witchcraft even if it is popular, the bible is clear. Harry potter books should not be in our churches or youth groups.

Then there is the usual thing I have watched this and it has not done any damage to me. There are probably lots of things that have damaged me that I need to repent of.
The problem is because we do not spend time in Gods presence we do not hate the things he hates.

When I was in canterbury the witchcraft sold knifes for human sacrifice for witches. Witchcraft and halloween is not some harmless fun even in the guise of say Twilight or say Harry Potter or say the Phil Pullman series. Are we used to reading bad books.

When you stand before god are you simply going to say playing with the devils kingdom was ok. We forget that Heaven and Hell, Satan and demons are present realities.

We all struggle with sin whether it is lust or other things I know I do and I know it only god who can keep us holy.
Should we not desire holiness and seperation from this world as we are.

I have struggled even with christians with this issue.
What barbaric practises if our youth, say they if they are watching video games learning how to shot people, listening to demonic music and get accustomed to violence and bloodshed, sexual immorality that killing christians will be fine with them as the bar for holiness gets lower and lower.

We pass by minor sins including me but sin is sin.
the space shuttle or even a satallite can be complelty of course if only a few degrees out. In computer programming one apostraphe can make the program not work or a misplaced letter. if the surgeon at the hospital did some minor mistakes when operating on you.

The devils attack of attrition using a long slow attack we need to be aware of making things are fore fathers would be horrified at , making it commonplace. Are problem is we do not know god enough or the bible enough to say this is evil stay away.

2011/8/20 7:29Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy