SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : How do you understand "Jesus wept?" in Jn 11:35

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
augustine75

New York, USA

How do you understand "Jesus wept?" in Jn 11:35

I once thought I understood the verse. My ESV study bible says, "Jesus joins his friend's sadness with heartfelt sorrow, yet underlying it is the knowledge that resurrection and joy will soon follow." I thank Jesus that He showed His love, His compassion, and His anger toward the power of death. However,why did he weep when he knew that Lazarus was just in sleep? Please help me understand this verse and love Jesus more based on the knowledge revealed. Thank you.

2011/8/12 20:00Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re: How do you understand "Jesus wept?" in Jn 11:35

I believe it was a Keith Green sermon I listened to, basically Keith explained it as a grief of the Lack of Faith not only by the crowd but the lack of faith of Mary and Martha who at this time were quite close friends to Jesus.

Imagine the frustration of Christ, he says Lazurus is going to be raised and the only thing Martha can do is rebuke the Lord for not coming sooner.

2011/8/12 20:05Profile
augustine75

New York, USA

Re: Thanks

I wonder if you remember the website I can hear Keith Green's sermon from. I would like to hear it. Thanks.

2011/8/12 20:09Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=18

This link will take you to Keith's page here on SI the sermon I refered to is called Dying to Self Part 2 of 2 both Part 1 and 2 are profitable. :)

2011/8/12 20:11Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:
However,why did he weep when he knew that Lazarus was just in sleep?

Good question. I've heard David Wilkerson preach that He wept because of their unbelief. Here's the text on it from one of his newsletters...

This encounter wasn’t so much about Lazarus’ death as it was about Christ’s own death. Think about it: when the time came for Jesus to face the cross, how would his followers ever believe he could be raised up? There was only one way they would believe it. And that was for Jesus — there, in Bethany, with his beloved friends — to enter the most hopeless situation and work his purposes in the face of the humanly impossible.

I’m convinced Jesus would not have entrusted this experience to anyone outside his inner circle. Such things were reserved for those who were intimate with him, who didn’t think as the world thinks. You see, it is only in such friends — people who know Christ’s heart and trust him fully — that he can produce a faith which can’t be shaken.

The fact is, Jesus knew all the future hardships that would take place in these dear ones’ lives. He knew every illness and tragedy they would face. He also knew the destruction that was to come upon Jerusalem. And he wanted to see in them now a faith that would believe in his care no matter what calamity they faced. He knew this was the only thing that could get them through what was to come.

When Jesus finally arrived, Martha’s first words to him were, “Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died. But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee.” These words may sound full of faith on Martha’s part. But when Jesus responded, “Thy brother shall rise again,” Martha’s answer was revealing: “I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.” In other words: “It’s all over for now, Jesus. You’re too late.”

Jesus replied: “I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: and whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?” (11:21–22, 23–24, 25–26).

Christ was telling her, in other words, “No, Martha, I am the resurrection and the life. Believe in me, and you’ll never die.” Again, he wasn’t just talking about Lazarus, but about his own death and resurrection. To him, Lazarus’ raising was already a settled matter: “Martha, don’t you believe I can go even into the grave and do the impossible for you and Mary, all of your days?”

At that point, Martha “went her way” (11:28). And that’s what most of us do in such situations. We don’t settle the issue with Jesus, seeking him in faith, “Oh, Lord, help my unbelief.” Instead, we simply walk away, back to our doubts and fears. And that wounds the Lord. Evidently, Martha didn’t understand that Jesus wanted more from her than faith for just this one crisis. Christ wanted her to stop all her unbelieving tendencies, and to begin a lifelong trust in him that would see her through every trial.

Jesus then called for Mary. “When Mary was come where Jesus was, and saw him, she fell down at his feet, saying unto him, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.” Even devout Mary said the same thing to Jesus that her sister did. What was his reaction? “He groaned in the spirit, and was troubled” (11: 32, 33).

Martha’s unbelief must have been wounding enough to him. I’m convinced Jesus expected more from Mary. But as he watched her weeping pitifully, with no hope, he “groaned” — a word that means “indignation.” Likewise, the word for “troubled” means “displeased.”

It was then Jesus said, “Where have ye laid him?” (11:34). As Martha heard him command the stone to be rolled away, she protested, “But, Lord, all you’ll get is a stench. Our brother has been dead for four days.” Here was yet more unbelief. That’s when we read: “Jesus wept” (11:35).

for the full text search for David Wilkerson's newsletter titled Forgive Me Lord for Making You Weep.

In Christ,

Ron

2011/8/12 20:13Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Jesus wept because of unbelief...

2011/8/12 22:06Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

"Jesus wept because of unbelief..."

Amen. As did all the prophets, and any other follower of Jesus Christ.

2011/8/12 22:07Profile

I dont believe He wept because of their unbelief; Jesus encountered unbelief everywhere he went. I think He wept simply because He felt their pain, their grief. Why overtheologize it? Even though He knew that He was/is the Power and the Resurrection He also knew the finality of death for those who die without Him, and but for the grace of God there would go Lazarus also.

2011/8/13 1:00
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

I guess I simply different with you on this which is A-Okay, if this be the case then Jesus would be considered Jeremiah of the Prophets for wouldn't He be weeping ALL the time since He was constantly around greif and pain as well? This was a hurting nation and people who had been invaded by the hand of Rome.

Jesus says several times to his disciples, to the crowds, and to Mary and Martha Lazarus was going to be raised. Disciples response? Disbelief, First they are concerned about Jesus getting killed by the Jews and then they don't fully comprehend the fact that Lazarus is dead, Thomas even saracastically says “Let us also go, so that we may die with Him.”

The Crowds reaction? "Then the Jews who were with her in the house, and (AK)consoling her, when they saw that Mary got up quickly and went out, they followed her, supposing that she was going to the tomb to weep there."
Surely the Jews had heard the message Lazarus was going to be risen.

Martha and Mary's Reaction? Unbelief and anger, Martha being the one to stick her foot in her mouth more was vocal and said HAD You come he would still be alive, I know anything You ask God gives You but Lazarus is dead. Essentially what she is saying is Nothing can be done.

And why did Jesus go? We find this at the beginning of the chapter “This sickness is not to end in death, but for (G)the glory of God, so that the Son of God may be glorified by it.” Ah the Glory of God, this was always Christ's focus. Really though no one really knows why He wept we can only make observations as to why He wept within the Chapter and within His character, from what I see He knew Lazarus was going to be risen and God was going to be Glorified that day and so weeping over the situation for me is doubtful though not completely ruled out.

I hope this helps you understand my point of view on the matter, I would love to read a further explanation from you if you are willing to give one.

God Bless!

2011/8/13 9:12Profile
jochbaptist

"Jesus wept" -
(Strongs) G1145 dakryō - (AV) translated "wept" only found once in Bible, and thus different from - (Strongs)2799 klaiō - (AV)translated weep 39 times , bewail 1 time
Eg:
Jhn 20:11 But Mary stood without at the sepulchre WEEPING (strongs)2799 : and as she WEPT (strongs)2799 , she stooped down , [and looked] into the sepulchre,
Meaning-
1) to mourn, weep, lament
a) weeping as the sign of pain and grief for the thing signified (i.e. for the pain and grief)
b) of those who mourn for the dead
2) to weep for, mourn for, bewail, one

I believe He was in travail/intersession and resisting/fighting the spirit of Unbelief, and spirit of Death.

Jhn 11:38 (also in verse 33) Jesus therefore AGAIN GROANING IN HIMSELF cometh to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone lay upon it.

2011/8/24 17:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy