Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : 30 Books to Read Before 30

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
glaubemann

Germany ( Erlangen)

30 Books to Read Before 30

Hello, Would Like to Share 30 Books or some Book you believe one need to read before 30?

As for me here are some I gladly recommend.

1.Bible
2.The SPiritual Secret of Hudson Taylor
3.E.M.Bounds on Prayer
4.At The Altar Of Sexual Idolatry from Steve Gallagher
5.Autobiography of Georges Mueller
5.Why Revival Tarries Leonard Ravenhill
6.Don´t wastes your Life John Piper
7.Humility Andrew Murray
8.The Pursuit of God A.W.Tozer
9.In Pursuit of God (Life Story of A.W.Tozer)
10.Discover the Bible for Yourself Kay Arthur

Recommend some

2011/8/12 10:44Profile
Aussiedler

GERMANY

Re: 30 Books to Read Before 30

Hallo Glaubemann, never saw you here although you are a year longer than I on sermonindex...

2011/8/12 11:14Profile
glaubemann

Germany ( Erlangen)

Re:

Aussiedler, (Ich bin kein Forum freaks)
I am not so good on posting nor to discuss on forum,but to Watch and read sermon I love it.

Grüss Gott

2011/8/12 13:06Profile

Re:

I know 66 books everyone should read...no matter what age.

Krispy

2011/8/12 13:06
ccchhhrrriiisss

Hi glaubemann...

These are excellent selections. I would add:

THE PILGRIM'S PROGRESS by John Bunyan

THE CHRISTIAN IN COMPLETE ARMOUR by William Gurnall

THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE HOLY by A. W. Tozer

THE CROSS AND THE SWITCHBLADE by David Wilkerson

HUNGRY FOR MORE OF JESUS by David Wilkerson

NO COMPROMISE: THE LIFE STORY OF KEITH GREEN by Melody Green and David Hazard

MY UTMOST FOR HIS HIGHEST by Oswald Chambers

THE COST OF DISCIPLESHIP by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

GOD'S SMUGGLER by Brother Andrew

MEMOIRS OF REVIVALS by Charles Finney

THE SCHOOL OF CHRIST by T. Austin Sparks

REES HOWELLS, INTERCESSOR by Norman Grubb

THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF GEORGE MUELLER by George Mueller

FOXES BOOK OF MARTYRS by John Foxe

GRACE ABOUNDING TO THE CHIEF OF SINNERS by John Bunyan

This is just a quick list, but I think that I could think of several more if I paused a bit longer.

Personally, I prefer to urge new believers to refrain from reading extra-biblical works until AFTER they have a strong foundation in the Word of God and have read the Bible through (from cover to cover) at least twice (in addition to normal Bible study). This would help allow believers to effectively "test everything" by the primer of the Word of God.

2011/8/12 14:04Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Memoirs of Revival by Finney. What exactly is this book about? What would do for a reader?

Also, John Piper is a name I see coming up more and more. I only recently heard an except of him preaching and he sounded in the some vein of David Wilkerson. What is Piper about that makes him great?

I ask this because I don't want to waste my time on reading and listening to things that aren't going to provoke me to something positive in my life, when it comes to the church what is great for one person isn't necessarily so for another. I like meat, straight and to the point stuff.

2011/8/13 10:16Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi DEADn,

Quote:

Memoirs of Revival by Finney. What exactly is this book about? What would do for a reader?

I had to think about whether or not to include this on such a list. It isn't because I have reservations about this book (I don't). Rather, it is because some are very vocal about their feelings of Charles Finney.

However, this book did impact me as a youth...and it had nothing to do with the arguments about what Finney may (or may not) have felt about specific doctrinal notions.

I recommend this book -- the only work actually penned by Finney -- on the basis of Finney's testimony of turning to Christ. I recommend this book because of the grief that Finney says that he felt when looking at the Church that was largely content in or unaware of their slumber. I also am impacted by the reaction of "Church members" who felt the need to actually convert to Christ. Finney saw a need to not only evangelize the "unchurched" -- but also the "churched" because the nation was filled with church-goers who had not truly been converted to Christ except in name.

Secular historians record the period described in Finney's memoirs as "the Second Great Awakening." At the time, many people awakened to a concern about their eternal condition. This is a firsthand account of that period -- which was covered in my own high school and college history courses. The book is not filled with "doctrine" -- but simply with the autobiographical experiences of a man who played a central role in the time.

I hope this helps you understand why I included it in my list of recommendations.

2011/8/13 14:36Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

That does help. Does this 'Memoirs'book then actually read like a diary of his thoughts or is it more like a book form type of thing?

2011/8/13 16:30Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi DEADn,

Finney's MEMOIRS read as an autobiography written in the first person.

You can read this online for free:

http://www.gospeltruth.net/1868Memoirs/memoirsindex.htm

You can read a condensed chapter from Keith and Melody Green's Last Day Ministries too:

http://tinyurl.com/finney001

I hope this helps. The Lord bless you!

2011/8/13 20:23Profile
JoshG

I agree with the books that were recommended... I would suggest that anything Watchman Nee or R. A. Torrey should make the list as well... R. A. Torrey books are an easy read and packed with bible verses :) ... You can read some of his stuff online for free too! (he died in 1928, lol)

2011/8/18 22:11Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy