SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : A time of economic disaster

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

A time of economic disaster

The year 1921 was a timeof economic disaster for the fishing communities of north-east Scotland. But the despair of the fisher folk led them to turn to God

The early years of this century had been a boom time for the fishing industry of north-east Scotland. Almost 90 per cent of the working population earned their living landing and processing herring. But it was all soon to change. The 1914-18 war robbed the herring fleets of their European customers. The government could only underwrite the losses for two years beyond that. Fishermen could not get a living wage and many faced bankruptcy. Fishermen tied up their boats and went on strike, but without any effect.

Despairing of any human help, the fishing community turned to prayer. Being of staunch calvinist stock, they saw the severe problems as a sign of God's anger at their complacency. They began to repent of their sins.

God caused two very different streams to flow together and create the torrent of revival. One was a mission to local villages by an itinerant missionary, Fred clark. It was traditional preaching of the gospel. The other was a wave of renewal centred on East Anglia where a converted barrel-maker, Jack Troup, was preaching powerfully.

Clark's preaching reached the women and childen of the area while the fishing fleet was away. The men were convicted by Troup's sermons when they landed in East Anglia. After the fleet finally returned to Fraserburgh and Peterhead in the autumn, awakened husbands and sons were reunited with awakened wives and daughters.

Jack Troup was guided in a dream to travel up to that part of Scotland and people flocked in their hundreds from this thinly populated region to hear him. A newspaper reporter from Aberdeen noted: "Without saying a word he raised his right arm and everyone in the hall, even those in the street, knelt down and prayed. Within a minute sounds of sobbing came from every part of the hall, and a woman's voice cried, "0 Lord, forgive and forget!".

Then Troup preached. He had, said the journalist, the noisiest vo ice he had ever heard and did not need a microphone! Some cried out under conviction, others shouted hallelujahs, and many streamed forward to commit their lives to the Lord. "Then," said the reporter, "came a perfect tornado of unsuppressed prayer, the voices so mingled that only here and there could the voices be distinguished.

"After the meeting I saw seventeen boys and girls kneeling in prayer in the street, and 200 fishermen down by their boats on the shore, listening as parables were read and explained to them. After each explanation the men knelt down together on the shore and engaged silently in prayer, wringing their hands, their bodies swaying to and fro."

Local churches of every denomination were mobilised to 'pull in the nets'. All along the Moray Firth congregations swelled. The Salvation Army alone claimed 600 new converts that year. It was estimated at the time that throughout the region some ten thousand souls were saved through the 'fishermen's revival'.

Some converts told of coming under such conviction of sin that they fell to the ground, but the majority came to the Saviour with quiet joy. A few conversions made the headlines: noted drunkards, a gang of local Peter-head thugs, even some who had initially opposed and mocked the revival.

What is perhaps most striking is the background of the converts. "They are," says the reporter, "predominantly young men aged 15-25; some of them had previously been notorious characters, but the majority had simply been indifferent to religion."

This article has been extracted from Revival Fires, available online from the Jesus People Shop.
Source: The Fishermen's Revival, J.LDuthie (History Today, vol 33, 1983).

2011/8/1 12:48Profile

Re: A time of economic disaster

It may take an economic downfall to bring America or at least the church in America to repetence. Provided the church has not gone past the point of no return. Good post by the way.

Blaine

2011/8/1 16:30
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Both Europe and America are facing a time of economic turmoil with the goverment pushing to cut spending and reduce cost in a bid to cut debt....

I remember in the Sermon Index Conference in Scotland a few years back Carter Colon spoke of a time when he was reading a book about Revivsl and God spoke to him that during a Move of God that was coming that the Goverment's won't have enough money to pay for the maintenance of public parks and the like.

God in his goodness will allow these hardships so that his people (the church) can see the error of there ways and turn to him....

As for the article as I read it I cried because I was brought up in the Moray Firth area of Scotland and I was a fisherman until the age of 22, I desire to see God moving again in that area, in my nation and in the nations....

2011/8/2 6:33Profile

Re:

Colin, what God spoke to that brother is happening, at least the first part. A few of our state governments have had to shut down there public parks because of no money. Imagine it is or will be the same in the UK. Forgive me brother, is Scotland considered UK?

Indeed may this economic downturn result in a glorious move of God in both our countries to bring others to saving faith and life in Jesus Christ. My prayers go with you and Scotland. My brother.

In Christ,
Blaine

2011/8/2 10:40

Re:

Hi Robert, my wives family come from Burghead and were all fishermen. She lost a cousin when his fishing boat sank, it was upturned for several hours but the seas were to rough to mount a rescue and it finally sank. Such a beautiful part of Scotland, oh that God would rend the heavens and come down and move amongst the people one more time. God bless you brother........brother Frank

2011/8/2 12:14

Re:

How many wives do you have, Frank?

Krispy

2011/8/2 13:04

Re:

Just the one Krispy :) Having left school at 16 with little education, my spelling leaves something to de desired. Next year will be my 30th wedding anniversary to my one wife :) ...........brother Frank

2011/8/2 13:26
sarahsdream

Re:

Your answer was "seasoned with grace", Appolus. Very nice.

In Christ,
Sarah

2011/8/2 16:48Profile

Hmm. Could America's failing economy not be so much about judgment as simply an answer to people's longtime prayers for revival (soon to come)? Sure hope so.

2011/8/2 23:16

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy