SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : Interview from 2004 - Classic Preaching on the Web

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Interview from 2004 - Classic Preaching on the Web

Saints,

I ran across this interview and article with picture that was done in a canadian magazine in 2004. For me it is moving to see the picture and books and simple dell laptop that was were sermonindex begun by God's grace. May God continue to keep His hand on this website ministry so it may still be "not by might nor by power but by His Spirit." Please do continue to pray for myself and this ministry. Thank you brothers and sisters.

----

Classic Preaching on the Web
Enthralled with the rich sermons of the great preachers of the past, a young computer technician from Toronto has captured 4000 of them for web site visitors.
by Karen Stiller

f the preacher is full of the fire of God, then people will gather just to watch him burn," said the famous preacher and churchman John Wesley.

These days some people aren't gathering but downloading, to witness classic preachers burn again with the fire of God. It's happening on www.sermonindex.com, a web site created by Toronto computer technician Greg Gordon (and he's also sharing the sermons freely at www.christianity.ca). Gordon thinks that the preachers of yesterday have something to say to the people of today—and he wants to make it free and easy for listeners to mine those sermon gems.

Gordon started "exploring old messages and old books" after being left dissatisfied by some contemporary preaching. Stirred by his discoveries, Gordon designed a web site committed to the "preservation and propagation of classic preaching in its audio form for this generation and the next. I felt I needed to share what I was finding with others."

The site provides free access to more than 4,000 taped sermons of mainly "classical preachers from the past—men of renown." Visitors to the site are asked to consider making a donation to offset the costs of accumulating and distributing the taped sermons. Gordon estimates more than half a million sermons have been downloaded since the site's inception in December 2002.

Although it is not Gordon's goal for his site to replace going to church to hear a local preacher, he concedes that some of his clients are "people disillusioned with Christianity. They are out of church for a while and are being fed."

Not surprisingly, the main visitors to the site are preachers "looking to be fed and inspired somewhere." It is an inspiration that Gordon hopes will spark a revival in today's church: his primary goal for building sermonindex.com. "The site's emphasis is revival. We want people to take these teachings and apply them to their lives," explains Gordon. "It's healthy for Christians to look into Church history. There's a heritage of God's people we shouldn't neglect." The preachers on the site speak "more powerfully, more stirringly," according to Gordon. It is a stirring that he hopes will help today's Church be more passionate and committed in the faith.

Karen Stiller is the associate editor of Faith Today.

Originally published in
Faith Today, September/October 2004.
http://www.faithtoday.ca

Used with permission of the author. Copyright © 2004 Christianity.ca.

from: http://www.christianity.ca/netcommunity/page.aspx?pid=4229

2011/7/27 0:41Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re: Interview from 2004 - Classic Preaching on the Web

Greg,

I appreciate you sharing this..It is interesting to know how all of SI got started..It was not just there one day, like people may think..There is/was much work involved. 1% Inspiration and 99% Perspiration as the saying goes..with the working and pouring out of His Spirit too, but only by willing hands can and will He do this.

God blessings to you

2011/7/27 17:44Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy