SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Welsh revival, Luis Palau and some great links

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Welsh revival, Luis Palau and some great links

[i]Luis Palau dropped from Welsh revival celebration for his 'evangelical beliefs.'[/i]

By Rob James in Cardiff | posted 12/13/2004 8:00 a.m.

The Cardiff City Council cancelled a civic reception for internationally renowned evangelist Luis Palau because of his "extreme evangelical beliefs."

The cancellation was prompted by Welsh Assembly Government Member Lorraine Barrett's attack on Palau for his stance on homosexuality and other religions. "To fund such an event for a figure who holds extreme views on sensitive social issues is, in my opinion, a terrible way of spending public money," Barrett said. "I am very concerned at some of the views espoused by Mr. Palau, which are very narrow and critical of anyone who does not follow his evangelical beliefs. I think he is a right-wing reactionary individual. I also think it is dodgy mixing religion and politics in this way. I think he and people like Billy Graham exploit vulnerable people."

continued at [url=http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2005/001/7.22.html]'Extreme' Orthodoxy[/url] (www.christianitytoday.com)

Mining for my info brought about some great links...
[url=http://www.eauk.org/contentmanager/content/wales/new/1904.htm]The legacy of the 1904 Revival[/url]

Scroll down on this link and check out the Evan Roberts video clip, short and to the point!
[url=http://www.1904-revival.com/]http://www.1904-revival.com/[/url]

2004/12/14 9:52Profile

Re: Welsh revival, Luis Palau and some great links

Quote:
According to the Operation World prayer guide, since the Welsh Revival of 1904-05, the region of 2.9 million people has experienced the highest rate of church closings and the largest decline of church attendance in the United Kingdom.

Mike, I want to write more on this, but the one main criticism that I read about the ministry of Evan Roberts was that it wasn't firmly rooted in the Word of God. It was rooted in repentance and confession of sin, but thats where it stopped.

I believe the quoted comment above is the resultant "fruit".

Swimming,
Neil

2004/12/14 17:38
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Luis Palau dropped from Welsh revival celebration for his 'evangelical beliefs.

That seems like a serious contradiction. We really need to lift this area up in prayer.

2004/12/14 18:57Profile
dohzman

Re: True

From all that I've read on that revival I believe you're right but I haven't read all the little peticulars about it. I will exalt my WORD above my name. The very character and essence of who and what God is , is in his word. I've thought long and hard on this and what concerns me is the socially acceptable Jesus being preached today , where evangelicals completely ignore the simple teachings of Jesus Christ. BTW ---Palau ministries is going to Hong Kong in a few months, I believe. A dear friend of mine is speaking there with him. I wonder what happens to a country where they no long want to hear the sound preaching of God's word ?

2004/12/14 23:27Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Hi Neil,

Certainly no expert, but that's interesting, had never heard that before regarding Evan Roberts.

No pointed questions here (that inflection thing)but did you read about any of the immediate results of that revival? Wouldn't really expect it to continue on until our time, fruit does seem to get spoiled and don't recall any revival that still has fruit lasting until our day.

Here's a bit from the links:

"The story of the Welsh revival is a story of tens of thousands of changed people - changed not for a period of a few months alone, but rather for a lifetime. They would look back to the events of 1904 as a time of new beginnings. A few of these stories are comparatively well known – especially the experience of the young ex-collier Evan Roberts, who became the name most connected with the revival. Others, though unwritten, also left their mark in the years following.

I have always been impressed by the stories of the miners who responded in droves to the Christian message of new life. Many were dramatically changed: the story about the pit ponies not being able to understand the ‘swear-free’ language of the converted miners is an interesting example. It was also reported that management and workers seemed to get on better, although there was some concern that enthusiastic prayer meetings might eat up valuable work time.

The effect was also felt in the home. For many mothers, it meant father’s beer money became housekeeping money. It may not have been as spectacular as water into wine, but beer into good food and better clothes was enough of a miracle. It also saw many chronic alcohol problems solved overnight, which although wasn’t good news to the publicans, who complained that sales were at an all-time low, was much appreciated by most.

For the police, the revival again was good news. Converts tended to see criminal activity as something limited to their past. Of course, police work did include some policing of a few overcrowded religious venues, but I am unaware of any arrests. A now famous cartoon in the Western Mail showed a magistrate being resented with a pair of white gloves - a symbol of no cases to try. The magistrate calls: ‘What’s the meaning of this?’ The clerk answers: ‘Revival, sir.’

Quite a few businesses profited. One medical practitioner said that the revival had done him a lot of good. When asked if it had meant more patients, he said no, but he had received £23 due to him, which he had written off the books as hopelessly bad debt. People were being changed into honest citizens.

The message of the revival was the possibility of inner change and complete forgiveness (political change wasn’t high on the agenda at the time). By giving birth to puritanical honesty, a positive work ethos and personal lives free from the popular addictions of the time, the revival continued to influence Church and society positively for years to come."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2004/12/15 1:13Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Neil,

Did some backtracking to find some more information on Evan Roberts and this revival, knowing that it has come up fairly often around here. Came across an old thread you wrote:

[i]" Re: My four favorite worms of revival
They are David Brainerd, Duncan Campbell, Evan Roberts and Frank Bartleman. All four men I have either read about extensively or in the case of Messrs. Campbell listened to his messages over and over.

As I have to wake up at an insanely early hour tommrrow, I can only say the common denominator between these 4 men is this; that their prayer life was robust and vigourous , so much so that the world would term them "insane" or "obssessive", Praise God for such insanity!

Oh to be a fool for Christ! Insanely sold out and in love with the Lord!!

HalleLuYah!!

Neil[/i]

So I am curious about what brought you to that conclusion or 'criticism", again, just honest questions brother.

2004/12/15 1:30Profile
Boyo

Re:

Quote:
Land of the Red Dragon

Hi there I am a minister here in Cardiff City Wales. I stumbled across this thread and felt that I had to give my input on the current spiritual climate here. As a minister here in Cardiff I was not one bit surprised by Rev Palau’s situation. Since being here (I am originally from England) I have been staggered at the absolute spiritual decline here, I have been fasting and praying for revival since. There is no trace or even the slightest hint of the 1904 revival here, Wales has since that time become one of the most secularized countries in all of Europe together with the lowest church attendance in all of Europe less than 3%. Cardiff is a very prosperous and wealthy City there is much investment and regeneration in the millions. There is an abundance in entertainment and activities, clubs, gyms and youth centres; the clubbing scene is beyond belief almost every night the main Street St Mary’s is closed off as multitudes of young AND OLD people stumble around drunk and senseless flocks of young girls wear next to nothing, any one of our Christian friends who visits Cardiff for the first time is stunned by this night life, it is appalling. One particular night club is called Creation it is geared for young teens approx 11-18 years of age, I drove by one evening and was grieved in my spirit as I watched this half mile long queue of children giving themselves to such depravity and the parents allow it; the parents have no control over themselves and therefore cannot restrain there children. I cannot tell you how many times I have met people whilst evangelising who tell me they suffer from depression. Demonic spirituality is rife in the city just last July the Jehovah’s Witness held a massive convention in the Millennium Stadium thousands of them flocked the City; Cardiff arena was host to a huge Pagan Witchcraft festival in May, Spiritualist churches are popular whilst Christian churches are either in decline or stagnant. I have found that there is an unusual stronghold of pride and rebellion in the people, stubbornness and wilfulness that is extreme. As a church we have faced many spiritual assaults here but God has delivered us from them all. Whilst praying one night the word "Red Dragon" kept coming to mind; the (Red Dragon is the national symbol of Wales, its every where! on there flags, papers, clothes, stationary, cars, radio station, shopping malls you cannot escape it!) I suddenly realised that the Red Dragon is in the bible Revelations chapter 12; speaks of John seeing a great Red Dragon at war with the Woman about to give birth. Scripture says it is frustrated and instead turns to make war on her children. I believe that the Red Dragon represents Pride and Rebellion; I believe that the 1904 was a "birthing of revival" it bound up the devil and broke his grip but he has since made a successful campaign on the children of revival who do not know God. My one criticism of Evan Roberts is that he made no disciples, discipleship is the only way to pass on ones spirit or mantel once Evan Roberts was diverted out of the way that revival anointing faded there was no one to carry it on, I believe that disciples must be the end fruit of revival a spiritual impartation is required like Elijah to Elisha or else it dies. God has placed a deep burden in my heart for Cardiff it is a spiritual wasteland sin is mega big here just the right conditions for a mighty visitation of God! I know the question is not whether God can do it again but whether He can find a man to do it through. I write this as an urgent call for world prayers, Wales is in desperate need of Revival! Satan has sought to ensure that every spark of that past revival will never burn again. But I know that God can do it if He can find a praying man, I have set my heart to be that man. To see the Red Dragon slain again in this land.

Pastor Mint

2004/12/15 8:47Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Dear Pastor Mint,

First off a warm welcome to you. Thank you so much for your input, nothing like a first hand account.

The situation you describe is truly sad, much like our own country in so many ways, certainly seems to be concentrated in your area.

Quote:
unusual stronghold of pride and rebellion in the people, stubbornness and wilfulness that is extreme

That really stood out, it seems to be on the upswing everywhere. 2 Tim 3.

That is quite remarkable about the Red Dragon, certainly seems beyond coincidence. And as that scripture states "of John seeing a great Red Dragon at war with the Woman [b]about to give birth[/b]" Think you are right on track about the representation of Pride and Rebellion, two of the deadliest sins.

Reading all of this sir brought to my mind:
"Do it again Lord"

There is at least one man He can do it through and would guess there are more praying for the situation there. I will add mine as well.

From what I can gather about Evan Roberts, from what I have read it seems the Lord used him for His set purpose. Perhaps the whole reason was not for him to be used in that fashion, that attention might have been drawn towards the man as opposed to God. He may not have made any disciples in that sense in his day, but there are quite a few now living that appreciate what was done through him, that we can learn from.

So glad you shared all this with us. Hope you will continue to participate here. It's wonderful to hear from brethren all over the world, what's happening in their countries, that we can share in their joy as well as their heartache.

My prayers are with you.

2004/12/15 10:26Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re: Pastor Mint

Thank you Pastor Mint for explaining what is going on in Wales. It's my "home" country and the first immigrant in my family from Wales was a preacher who ended up in Virginia as a missionary in the 1750s.

My how Wales is in need of revival. I had heard that things had declined significantly but was unaware of the degree of the depravity. It grieves my heart and I will certainly remember Wales in prayer.

Home of the Red Dragon. Very interesting. How little I know of Wales. I live just outside Babylon (i.e. Washington D.C.). The American pride is so palpable in the spirit that it just breaks my heart. There's no real fear of God here and all of the confidence of most folks is in the flesh. Would you pray for revival for Washington D.C.? We certainly need the hand of God to move in this area as well.

Pastor Mint we're glad to have you on board. Will be praying for you in Wales. If you have any specific requests, feel free to Email me.

2004/12/15 16:46Profile

Mike

I'm not at my desk or library, but off the top of my head, I believe it was R. B. Jones, Rhys Bevan Jones, who made mention of this, and what I read Brother Mint wrote above, that discipleship was not a strong aspect of Evan's.

what WAS a strong element in Evans life was his ministry of secret prayer and this is what I so admire. I also admire his public ministry, there was no pride there, the man would just implore people with an unction that could only come of the annointing of the Holy Ghost.

I believe the opinion that he didnt preach the Word or disciple, is in the book, An Instrument of Revival.

2004/12/15 19:47

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy