SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : Avatars not loading (should they be removed?)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
mikey2

Re:

Thank you for asking for our thoughts and opinions.

If it is a technical issue, that's fine and we all understand. Why make it a spiritual issue (accusing people of hiding behind avatars)?

I don't think there is any reason to do that unless you have some special insight that the rest of us don't have. If the software or servers you are using can't handle Avatars, that's quite understandable. It is not understandable to label everyone who uses Avatars as "hiding", which connotes some level of dishonesty.

Hope you understand how your statement can be interpreted as such. I am sure you don't mean this, at least I hope you don't.

2011/7/13 13:43Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

Who's hiding? But on the other hand, you don't know who sees your info. Be careful, because there are scammers out there who prey on people.

2011/7/13 14:23Profile
HeartSong

Re:

If we were all operating in the Spirit, it would not matter who was doing the talking, for we would all be one in Him - and as such, the avatars serve to make a further distinction that only takes us further from the Truth.

2011/7/13 16:02Profile
mikey2

Re:

Heartsong, how realistic is that? And what is wrong about distinctions? Are you serious? Avatars take us further from the truth? Please! How rational is that statement? Making us all "cookie cutter" online christians does not ensure unity. You were closer when you spoke of "operating in the Spirit" but then you ruined what you said by implying that distinctions should be removed, because if we were all operating in the Spirit, "distinctions" would not matter. At least they are not suppose to.

2011/7/13 16:23Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

While I don't know that they matter much in the content, I do think that the avatars help provide a distinction between who is making a comment. I have noticed some confusion sometimes when someone incorrectly attributed a statement to the wrong person. I have been mistaken about who was saying certain statements in some discussions, and I notice that it is easier to make a distinction regarding who is speaking by the presence of an avatar.

I'm not sure if the "operating in the Spirit" idea would make much of a difference in an online forum. It is true that we should all be walking in the Spirit. Unfortunately, some people are quick to question your "walking ability" if you don't line up with what their own particular sets of beliefs (including non-essentials). Even some of the Apostles and other believers in the early church had disagreements within their actions, beliefs and discussions.

Even now, we have many believers from different backgrounds who make comments. Those comments can often turn into debate or aggression when someone says something that the other person doesn't agree with or doesn't believe lines up with their own notion of what beliefs are the result of "operating in the Spirit." After all, many outlandish claims are often shared by people who believe that they came to such revelation after "walking in the Spirit." In an online forum of diverse believers, I think that it is the comments -- and the spirit and attitude behind them -- that serve to divide the Body of Christ more than an avatar or screen name.

Greg, I will be remembering this in prayer. I pray that the Lord grant you wisdom regarding this and every decision pertaining to this greatly appreciated website.

2011/7/13 16:30Profile

Re: Avatars not loading (should they be removed?)

Well, I like my Avatar. To me it's not about hiding behind a false image it's about what kind of character one possesses. Choosing an Avatar is important, the selection will let others know what kind of a person you might be. For example, when I see a little lamb, that reminds me of someone who is meek and mild. My Avatar reminds me of someone who is content. When I see Admin Paul's Avatar I see an intelligent but discreet man.

I think they are important and we should keep them, but when choosing, choose wisely for they will define you to others.

2011/7/13 20:20

Re:

Quote:
Some people are abusing the signature and putting many paragraphs of information

Brother Admin Greg, I had to laugh at this. I was reading your post and than I looked down at your signature I smiled, that is a big signature Brother.

I do agree with you, there is just way too much information in the signature lines.

2011/7/13 20:27
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
For me, it doesn't matter either way if they stay or go.
I've never used them, so I won't miss them.
If it makes the site run better, then let them go.

I agree.

2011/7/13 20:29Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

Quote:
Brother Admin Greg, I had to laugh at this. I was reading your post and than I looked down at your signature I smiled, that is a big signature Brother.

Ha Ha, I did too. Oh well, we can all be different, yet love Jesus Christ.

It doesn't really matter if they are there or not. I haven't noticed them not loading.

2011/7/13 21:52Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Quote:
I've never used them, so I won't miss them.

same sentiments here. I say if they cause problems get rid of them. However, some forums allow you to use a real picture of yourself as your profile image. If this were possible here without causing technical issues i would probably vote for that. That way everyone could see how you really look and it would feel more real in interacting with one another.

One thing I will say about certain avatars here. I think sometimes they do give the wrong impression. For example, I don't think it is too wise for a young believer to use an image of an old saint as his avatar. It does give the wrong impression sometimes. At first when you see the avatar you think, "this person must be very mature in the Lord both in years and wisdom." But then you realize that that is not really the case.

anyhow, just my two cents.

2011/7/13 23:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy