SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Your spirit goes to the Lord and your body catches up?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Your spirit goes to the Lord and your body catches up?

Why is this such a popular teaching? Why do so many people believe this? This is again, IMHO, brothers and sisters that are reading into the Bible something that isn't there.

Here are the 2 seemingly conflicting verses:

Daniel 12:2

And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

The other one (sorry I don't know the verse) is:

To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.

OK, now so folks get out of this that your spirit goes to be with Jesus and your new body catches up later. Sorry, I don't buy it. I could be wrong, but that is reading something into the Bible that isn't there IMHO.

Here's what I think. I think for most of us, we will arise and be with the Lord at the last day. Then we shall be with him forever.

"To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord?" OK, the Bible is true and there are no lies. This the assumption I go on. When you die, are you not going to have the best night's sleep you've ever had in your life? When you wake up, are you conscious of those 6, 7 or 8 hours that have passed when you had a wonderful night of rest without any waking up or interruptions? When you die, you're going to have the best sleep you've ever had in your life. You will not be conscious of any passage of time will you? In that sense, "To be absent fromt he body is to be present with the Lord". Or, am I the one reading something into the scripture now?

Well here is more about it in Ecclesiastes 12:6-7

6 Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern.

7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

The writer here seems to be talking about the end of time or the very end times of the universe. At the end of time the spirit shall return to God who gave it. Of course there are certainly men who went to be with the Lord--like Enoch and when Elijah and Moses appeared to the disciplines.

2011/7/11 18:01

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy