SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Where is Jesus Christ??????

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
savedtoserve

Re:

Good catch, SolaVeritas.

2011/7/13 7:56Profile

Re:

At the beginning if my post I said it is to be commended Gov. Perry is calling forth a day of prayer and repentence for the nation. Yet because the name of Jesus Christ was absent from the proclamation I posed questions as to where is Jesus Christ in the midst of this. I believe any Christian who walks with Christ should aleays ask such questions of any leader who purports to act in the name of Christ. This is true of any political or spiritual leader. Jesus warned his hearers to beware of false prophets who come in sheeps clothing. Paul warned the elders of the church at Ephesus that savage wolves will come in and not spare the flock. He told them to be on guard. The Bereans were commended as noble minded because they recieved the gospel but checked it against scripture to see if it was true. The. Christian is always admonished to test the spirits to see they are from God. It is even more crucial that we question and examine in these end times. Jesus warned that Satan would try to decieve even the elect. If evangelical pastors are reading from the Koran and having Moslem clerics preach from their pulpits is the American church not recieved???? Thus the question is even more crucial, where is Jesus Christ???/

My questions, as is this post, were given in a conciliatory way. They were designed to raise awareness to the body from a concerned saint. I know some took issue with me for raising these questions. I make no apologies for this post. I will not answer the allegations you make but trust God to plead my case.

I hope that Gov. Perry is a follower of Jesus Christ. I pray he is. I pray the event in Houston will lift up Jesus as the only hope for lost souls. For ultimately that is what America is.......lost souls.

2011/7/13 18:54

Re:

Get ready, election season is coming up and every politician will be in love with the Lord Jesus Christ.

If you want to know if someone is a follower of Jesus Christ, look at their fruits and what comes off their lips, not just what comes off their lips.

2011/7/13 19:33
SolaVeritas

SK Canada

Re:

Martyr, assuming that you are refering to my post, I would like to say that its purpose was to add some objectivity, to add some facts that appeared to have been overlooked. It addressed the other posters as well as you. There is certainly nothing wrong with the intent of your post as you explained it above. I apologize for not making this clearer, it was not my intention to be disrespectful of you in any way.

2011/7/13 22:49Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi martyr...

You wrote:

Quote:

At the beginning if my post I said it is to be commended Gov. Perry is calling forth a day of prayer and repentence for the nation. Yet because the name of Jesus Christ was absent from the proclamation I posed questions as to where is Jesus Christ in the midst of this.

The name of Jesus was NOT "absent" from the proclamation.

http://governor.state.tx.us/news/proclamation/16247/

As was quoted in the other thread, and in many texts, newspapers, here is the exact wording of that proclamation:

Quote:

Monday, June 06, 2011 • Austin, Texas • Proclamation

In 1775, the Continental Congress asked the colonies to join in prayer, seeking wisdom as they faced the responsibility and opportunity of building a new nation. As leaders of that young nation assembled in 1787 to craft a Constitution, Benjamin Franklin implored the framers to pray for guidance, famously declaring, "The longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth: that God governs in the affairs of men." Decades later, during a time of national turmoil, President John Adams declared "a day of solemn humiliation, fasting and prayer," asking citizens of all faiths to pray for America's protection from danger. Later, as civil war tore our young country apart, President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a day of national fasting and prayer, saying "It behooves us ... to humble ourselves before the offended Power, to confess our national sins, and to pray to the God that made us." During World War II, with our troops locked in battle on the beaches of France, President Franklin D. Roosevelt led the nation in prayer, "As we rise to each new day, and again when each day is spent, let words of prayer be on our lips, invoking Thy help to our efforts."

Given the trials that have beset our country and world - from the global economic downturn to natural disasters, the lingering danger of terrorism and wars that endanger our troops in Iraq, Afghanistan and theaters of conflict around the globe, and the decline of our culture in the context of the demise of families - it seems imperative that the people of our nation should once again join together for a solemn day of prayer and fasting on behalf of our troubled nation.

In times of trouble, even those who have been granted power by the people must turn to God in humility for wisdom, mercy and direction. In the spirit of the Book of Joel, Chapter 2, Verses 15-16, I urge a solemn gathering of prayer and fasting. As those verses admonish: "15 Blow the trumpet in Zion, declare a holy fast, call a sacred assembly... 16 Gather the people, consecrate the assembly..." As JESUS prayed publicly for the benefit of others in John 11:41-42, so should we express our faith in this way.

THEREFORE, I invite my fellow Texans to join me on August 6 at Reliant Stadium in Houston, as we pray for unity and righteousness - for this great state, this great nation and all mankind. I urge Americans of faith to pray on that day for the healing of our country, the rebuilding of our communities and the restoration of enduring values as our guiding force.

THEREFORE, I, Rick Perry, Governor of Texas, do hereby proclaim August 6, 2011, to be

A Day of Prayer and Fasting for Our Nation

in Texas, and urge the appropriate recognition whereof.

In official recognition whereof, I hereby affix my signature this the 23rd day of May, 2011.

RICK PERRY
Governor of Texas

Now, I won't try to act as though I have supernatural insight and knowledge about some sort of malicious or egotistical rationale behind this proclamation.

Many leaders in American government have presented these sort of calls for prayer, fasting and repentance in the past. Likewise, believers throughout history have been there to publicly "second guess" the motives behind them. I don't pretend to know the motives of the man.

Personally, I don't find anything wrong with the words of this proclamation. I don't find anything wrong with an authority -- who may have been raised up by God -- asking the people of the state to call out to God via prayer and fasting regarding a need for righteousness.

Still, I would like to point out that the Name of Jesus was present within that proclamation -- and has been uttered in newspapers, internet websites, radio and television. In fact, it riled the atheists up so much that they are suing Governor Perry for officially "establishing the Christian faith" on behalf of Texas.

Quote:

I hope that Gov. Perry is a follower of Jesus Christ. I pray he is. I pray the event in Houston will lift up Jesus as the only hope for lost souls. For ultimately that is what America is.......lost souls.

This is not an American problem. This is a problem that encompasses the entire earth. This world is lost...and dying...and can find true hope in nothing else except Jesus Christ. I think that American believers are often most critical on this nation because it is currently the world's greatest economic and military superpower. As such, many equate it to an empire.

Yet, this American nation has only held this position for a short time in the scope of history. Before WWII, America was but another Western nation experiencing the hardships of the Great Depression. The 60-70 years that America has been a great "superpower" is but a drop in the bucket when compared to the length of time by which other world powers existed. The British Empire, the Spanish Empire, the Roman Empire, Greek Empire, the Babylonians, Assyrians and the like -- they all existed with a greater periodic length of supremacy. Who is to say that America's preeminent position will not soon be superseded by the rise of China...or Europe...within the next decade?

Unfortunately, many believers often look at America's role in Eschatology in the present day, nearsighted focus of the here-and-now. I know that many people point to America (or New York) as Babylon. It may very well be true. However, there was a period in history when England was declared to be "Babylon" by Pilgrims and Puritans who fled the nation in order to "come out from amongst them be ye separate." America may...or may not...be the specific Babylon (or part of it) mentioned in John's Revelation. I will say, however, that the confederation type of government mentioned in Revelation 13 -- with an Antichrist rising to the head of a loose conglomeration of nations -- sounds a lot like the direction that the European Union might be heading.

Still, it is true that America is filled with lost souls. Just like Canada. Just like Europe. Just like Asia. Just like Africa. Just like Australia. Just like Central and South America. This entire world is lost. We should endeavor to see them as "sheep having no shepherd." The difference, I suppose, is that many in America claim to believe in Christ. Now, of course, an overwhelming abundance of those claims are untrue and convoluted by a love for this world -- including the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life.

Yet the principle is still the same. Jesus Christ is the only hope for this world. As such, I can't fault an authority in this world who asks people to pray and fast to God and seek righteousness.

2011/7/13 23:21Profile
looserchapel

Brest, France

Re:

Quote:
You say that my statement God only hears the prayers of those who believe in Christ is a false assumption. Can tou please show me that from scripture? Aso how is naking Jesus central in all we do religiou? Otbis a relationship he calls us into.

what about that one:

Thou shalt neither vex a stranger, nor oppress him: for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.

Ye shall not afflict any widow, or fatherless child.

If thou afflict them in any wise, and they cry at all unto me, I will surely hear their cry;

Exodus 22: 21-24

Thank you.

2011/7/14 4:50Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Here most all the Christians in this country have been fasting, praying, revival etc. to get this country to make some sort of turn back to Christ, and now we have the same folks picking apart the validity of someone, by Judging his call to do this. I am sick of these so called "spoiled" self righteous Christians, that have to have things their way and to fully convinced something or someone is for real, I believe these types were called Pharisees back in Christs days. What Rick Perry is doing is no different than most ministers in this country should be doing, only difference is Rick is not asking for your money. What on earth will we be doing next? having dna test done on folks to make sure the Holy Spirit is really in them? I personally this day and age take anything that gets our eyes back on Christ, instead of reading so much into what Rick is doing, why can't we just accept it for face value? Jesus help us all!

2011/7/14 9:21Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Good post MrBillPro. I find myself in agreement with you.

white stone

2011/7/14 10:41Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

be aware of opposition

Atheist group sues to block Perry from prayer rally

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7651845.html

Lord willing, He will block this group from their plans.

His will be done.

white stone

2011/7/14 10:44Profile

Re:Chris

Thanks bro. I only saw an abbreviated copy of it. I should have researched more. However I still think believers should be cautious and test the spirits. I will pray that Christ be glorified in this event.

2011/7/14 11:48

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy