SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Comedian Abandons Profanity for Christ

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
rbanks

Re:

Quote:
He cracked a joke about Moses having a speach impedimate,

I don’t crack jokes about the word of God. I don’t think he, you or anybody else out to be cracking jokes about the word of God.

Furthermore this is his entertainment profession and was probably planned out along with other jokes he will be sharing in the future unless He has a real encounter with the holiness of God.

The Word of God is clear about sanctification. Here are a couple of passages of scripture and there are many others concerning sanctification and our being a partaker of His Holiness.

2 Corinthians 6:14-7:1 (NKJV) 14 Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? 15 And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever? 16 And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will dwell in them And walk among them. I will be their God, And they shall be My people." 17 Therefore "Come out from among them And be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, And I will receive you." 18 "I will be a Father to you, And you shall be My sons and daughters, Says the Lord Almighty." 1 Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Hebrews 12:14-29 (NKJV) 14 Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord: 15 looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled; 16 lest there be any fornicator or profane person like Esau, who for one morsel of food sold his birthright. 17 For you know that afterward, when he wanted to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no place for repentance, though he sought it diligently with tears. 18 For you have not come to the mountain that may be touched and that burned with fire, and to blackness and darkness and tempest, 19 and the sound of a trumpet and the voice of words, so that those who heard it begged that the word should not be spoken to them anymore. 20 (For they could not endure what was commanded: "And if so much as a beast touches the mountain, it shall be stoned or shot with an arrow." 21 And so terrifying was the sight that Moses said, "I am exceedingly afraid and trembling.") 22 But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, to an innumerable company of angels, 23 to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are registered in heaven, to God the Judge of all, to the spirits of just men made perfect, 24 to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling that speaks better things than that of Abel. 25 See that you do not refuse Him who speaks. For if they did not escape who refused Him who spoke on earth, much more shall we not escape if we turn away from Him who speaks from heaven, 26 whose voice then shook the earth; but now He has promised, saying, "Yet once more I shake not only the earth, but also heaven." 27 Now this, "Yet once more," indicates the removal of those things that are being shaken, as of things that are made, that the things which cannot be shaken may remain. 28 Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us have grace, by which we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear. 29 For our God is a consuming fire.

2011/6/13 20:46Profile

Re:

I dont think anyone disagrees with this at all, brother rbanks... but it seems whenever someone who happens to be in the public eye gets saved the Christian community never gives them the same amount of grace and time to "grow up" in the Lord that they themselves needed when they were first saved.

Again, let this man grow up in the Lord. In time, if his conversion is real fruit will come forth. But I think it wrong for all of us to sit and condemn a man we dont know for foolishness he may be committing as a new babe in Christ.

Suppose he came to this forum and read this discussion. The Christian community has chewed up celebrities in the past by expecting them to be Billy Graham overnight only to chase them out of the church.

We need to be careful, folks.

Krispy

2011/6/13 21:07
rbanks

Re:

Quote:
Again, let this man grow up in the Lord. In time, if his conversion is real fruit will come forth. But I think it wrong for all of us to sit and condemn a man we dont know for foolishness he may be committing as a new babe in Christ.

I have never said anything about Him not needing to grow in the Lord. That is my whole point.

2 Timothy 4:1-4 (NKJV) 1 I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom: 2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. 3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; 4 and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NKJV) 16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

2011/6/13 21:16Profile
rbanks

Re:

Quote:
Suppose he came to this forum and read this discussion.

I hope he does and I want him to know that everything I have written was in the fear of God and love for his soul.

Ephesians 4:11-32 (NKJV) 11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, 13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; 14 that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, 15 but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head--Christ-- 16 from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love. 17 This I say, therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you should no longer walk as the rest of the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind, 18 having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart; 19 who, being past feeling, have given themselves over to lewdness, to work all uncleanness with greediness. 20 But you have not so learned Christ, 21 if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught by Him, as the truth is in Jesus: 22 that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, 23 and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, 24 and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness. 25 Therefore, putting away lying, "Let each one of you speak truth with his neighbor," for we are members of one another. 26 "Be angry, and do not sin": do not let the sun go down on your wrath, 27 nor give place to the devil. 28 Let him who stole steal no longer, but rather let him labor, working with his hands what is good, that he may have something to give him who has need. 29 Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. 32 And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God in Christ forgave you.

2011/6/13 21:28Profile

Re:

Not everything I wrote was aimed in your direction, rbanks... :-)

Krispy

2011/6/13 22:57
Koheleth

NC

Re: Comedian Abandons Profanity for Christ

There is so much amiss in so many of these replies, I am not sure where to start . . .

To begin, I did not reply because I am better or more godly than anyone, but rather because the title of the post is "Comedian abandons profanity for Christ." I disagree. He may have left most of his profanity, but I don't think for Christ. And if you listen to his talk, I would not say he has left his profanity either. For the Christian, many topics are profane. Let's not be like the world and limit profanity to four-letter words.

Quote:
None of that evil fun for us christians...right guys...?

No one implied Christians should not have fun. However, I think there is a definite error running through many of the replies. It is that "fun" is more important than Christ. Several of the replies are saying in essence that now that he has become a Christian, it is good that he is producing fun fruit, but let's give him more time to produce Christ fruit.

Quote:
I forgot that we need to expect new believers to be completely transformed instantaniously into perfection.

Quote:
I agree with some others here... let the guy grow in the Lord before you all pile on. . . . He's a babe in Christ . . . .

He took either three or four years off after his conversion, it seems to allow God to speak to him about what he does and what God wants him to do.

Quote:
Let the Holy spirit worry about what he does for a living, you worry about yourself.

Not all jobs are acceptable for a Christian. Beyond this, does anyone believe and defend that what this man is doing is important for the kingdom of God and Christ and eternity?

I don't have an argument with the man himself. But in representing Christ, we are allowed to evaluate him according to Christian standards. Even a newborn babe in Christ, although there is a lot of leeway for him to grow and learn, should still be instructed or corrected if necessary, so that they can learn the way. In this case, none of us can speak to this man directly, just as Paul could not speak to those who were disturbing some of his churches, but he did offer a Christian perspective on those who called themselves Christians.

Quote:
I think the hindrance of "revival" has a lot more to do with attitudes like this

Which attitude here is hindering revival? Every article on this site indicates that revival comes when people give areas like Christ, prayer, holiness, and seriousness first place. Revival has never come on the tails of a comedy act.

Quote:
I guess it just irriates me when a guy like this changes his life for the better and all we can do is be "grieved" by the whole thing rather than rejoice that something good has happened and trust God to continue to change the man.

I am not irritated, but I am grieved that some people think this man has changed his life for the better. I hope he does go on to allow God to really change him for the good. How do you think the apostles would have dealt with this man? Do you think they would have viewed it a something good that was happening for Christ? I really don't think so.

Quote:
"judge not lest ye be judged"

Hey brother, I am with you on this one. However, you do not see me promoting myself under the name of Christ. Do you think if any of the godly preachers on this site had known sin or error, we should just allow it to pass without comment? That is actually the wrong approach. Christians are always eager for the truth.

Quote:
Anyone really want to cowboy up and throw the first stone?

No one is talking about harming or killing the man. The responses have veered off the actual topic of the original post: "for Christ".

Quote:
whenever someone who happens to be in the public eye gets saved the Christian community never gives them the same amount of grace and time to "grow up" in the Lord that they themselves needed when they were first saved.

Sure we do. I would have never "grown up" to be where I am today if I had not had the large, extended body of Christ, most of whom I do not know, carrying on a great and godly life of right Christian conduct. This man deserves the same, and that is part of the grace that comes from the body of Christ.

Quote:
Suppose he came to this forum and read this discussion. . . . expecting them to be Billy Graham overnight . . .

I sincerely pray that he might. A Christian cannot be destroyed, certainly not by a discussion like this. It could only do him good as he searches his heart before the Lord. And I certainly don't expect him to be Billy Graham.

I do expect those of us here, on a "revival" site, to be able to talk about what type of Christianity can produce revival. Not the kind in view here. It is not close to the Lord of either Testament.

2011/6/14 10:50Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy