SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Comedian Abandons Profanity for Christ

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Comedian Abandons Profanity for Christ

Labriola never expected to go into “Christian comedy.” To him, comedy – at least the kind popularly portrayed today – was about injecting a few curse words here and there with a mixture of sexual innuendos added to the punch line.
Labriola fit the generic profile of a comedian up until he married and found Christ.

When he read Ephesians 5:4 (Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving) it dawned on him the need for censorship. After all, "I can't just read the Bible and go up state and do the opposite."

"My acting comedy for years had been R-rated and when I read that I said how am I going to do my acting if I profess to be a Christian?'" ...

read more: http://bit.ly/jJCdYl

2011/6/12 16:33Profile
Koheleth

NC

Re: Comedian Abandons Profanity for Christ

Glad to see anyone abandon profanity and R-rated acts, but I think he did not take all of Ephesians 5:4 seriously. What about "no silly or foolish talk"? Using your time this way does not help anyone move toward Christ or prepare for heaven.

2011/6/13 12:24Profile
rbanks

Re:

I read the rest of the article and was grieved. He needs to go on and get sanctified and filled with the Holy Spirit.

To go from profanity in cussing to profaning the Word of God is a worse sin of bringing reproach to a Holy God.

Carnality, foolishness, and insincerity among many Christians is the reason many have no revival.

No supreme reverence for the "Word of God" is the ruin of the multitudes.

2011/6/13 13:31Profile
Lotis

Re:

None of that evil fun for us christians...right guys...?

I forgot that we need to expect new believers to be completely transformed instantaniously into perfection. Guys seriously, the man gave his heart to the Lord and decided to change the way he talks, he is obviously growing in the Lord and becoming more and more like him. Let the Holy spirit worry about what he does for a living, you worry about yourself. God forbid the man should crack a smile on a few of us pew warming plastic faced saints...

I think the hindrance of "revival" has a lot more to do with attitudes like this than a mans decision to be a comedian (as if what we "do" has even the slightest say in what God does). God forbid a man who was a comedian gets saved and that he should now take the gospel to his sphear of influence, who's to say this man wont grow into a great speaker/preacher of the Gospel one day because of all the experience he has speaking before people.

This article is a praise report, get your heads off yourself and your good works and onto Jesus, my guess is this mans decision to change his speach put a HUGE smile on his face...

2011/6/13 13:44Profile
Theophila

Re: Comedian Abandons Profanity for Christ

Thank God for saving him.
Bless God for giving him this much revelation about his manner of speaking.

2011/6/13 14:09Profile
rbanks

Re:

Quote:
God forbid a man who was a comedian gets saved and that he should now take the gospel to his sphear of influence, who's to say this man wont grow into a great speaker/preacher of the Gospel one day because of all the experience he has speaking before people.

Lotis,

Who is saying God can’t use him, if he goes on and gets sanctified and filled with the Holy Spirit. What are you defending anyway? Did you read the rest of the article where he was making fun of Moses and the “Word of God”?

Maybe you don’t care, I don’t know, only God really knows your heart. Your attitude is loud but I hope your walk is pleasing to God.

Blessings to you!

2011/6/13 15:11Profile
Lotis

Re:

He cracked a joke about Moses having a speach impedimate, whether of not that in itself is wrong is not the issue because frankly, even if it was wrong, who are you to say he needs to be "sanctified" because of it? I don't have an issue with you, only the attitude of saying one is less sanctified than the other because of what they do. You are not sanctified or righteous because of what you do, you are righteous because of what Christ did, if this man is in the wrong, the Holy spirit will deal with him (as he has already shown to be doing so in the changing of his speach). I guess it just irriates me when a guy like this changes his life for the better and all we can do is be "grieved" by the whole thing rather than rejoice that something good has happened and trust God to continue to change the man.

2011/6/13 16:35Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:

I read the rest of the article and was grieved. He needs to go on and get sanctified and filled with the Holy Spirit.

To go from profanity in cussing to profaning the Word of God is a worse sin of bringing reproach to a Holy God.

Carnality, foolishness, and insincerity among many Christians is the reason many have no revival.

No supreme reverence for the "Word of God" is the ruin of the multitudes.

Sister,

You are right. In the past generations once someone repented they did the deal blow to sin in their lives and never came back to it. Alot of Christian Entertainment is Sanctified Sin.

2011/6/13 17:08Profile

Re:

I agree with some others here... let the guy grow in the Lord before you all pile on.

I can't believe I'm going to actually say this, but "judge not lest ye be judged". That statement usually is taken way out of context these days and used incorrectly, but I believe this is a proper time to say it.

He's a babe in Christ, and while I may take exception to some things he still does, you know what? I've been a Christian for a long time now and I've done some pretty amazingly stupid and sinful things in that time.

Anyone really want to cowboy up and throw the first stone?

Yea... I didn't think so.

Krispy

2011/6/13 17:50
rbanks

Re:

Quote:
Sister, You are right. In the past generations once someone repented they did the deal blow to sin in their lives and never came back to it. Alot of Christian Entertainment is Sanctified Sin.

I am a brother in the Lord. No offense taken and I also agree with your point.

2011/6/13 20:38Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy