SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Blessed are you, O Precious Worm

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
roadsign

Blessed are you, O Precious Worm

If you are a worm, then one of the most hazardous places to be is the middle of the road. Yet you may find yourself there after a downpour, forced out of the ground in search for air. There on the road you are destined to be trampled down by vehicles, plucked away by birds, or simply scorched by the sun. You are utterly defenseless, and you have no inbuilt means of saving yourself. You merely surrender to the forces-that-be.

We humans may find ourselves in such vulnerable situations through forces beyond our control or simply through our instinctive reactions to perceived threats. And suddenly we are in the middle of a “six-lane freeway”. But, unlike the lowly worm, we humans do not readily accept our vulnerability. Driven by the sheer energy of fear or anxiety, we set out to preserve our existence - and our dignity. We dread facing our vulnerability - physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Yet Jesus said, “Blessed are the poor in spirit…” These are the ones who have come to accept their vulnerability – their “worminess”. Now I am not implying toxic shame or self-loathing. I use “worm” imagery as the psalmist does when he expresses his despair:

“But I am a worm, not a man;
people insult me and despise me.” (Ps. 22:6) …… or:

“Here I am, a nothing --an earthworm,
something to step on, to squash.” (The Message)

Many of the psalms were inspired through worm-ish experiences. The psalmists somehow found themselves defenseless and vulnerable. Often their nation was overrun by invaders –and they were, quite literally, on the freeway of mighty empires. Leading up to this, the people of Israel had rejected God as their shield and savior, preferring to muster up their own means of preservation. But their fear-driven measures proved futile.

If you’ve ever seen a highway covered with slithery helpless worms after a storm, then you can imagine the people of Israel after invasions. Yet here was where God’s endearing voice beckoned them to surrender to the power-that-is: God himself. God said:

“Do not be afraid, you worm Jacob, little Israel,
do not fear, for I myself will help you,” declares the LORD,
your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel.” (Isaiah 41:14)

These prophetic words are also intended for you and me. Do you hear them, O precious worm? Do you hear your heavenly King calling you to surrender your fruitless, faulty ways and put your trust in his powerful and compassionate salvation? If so, then these words in Isaac Watt’s hymn will warm your heart,

Alas! and did my Savior bleed
And did my Sovereign die?
Would He devote that sacred head
For such a worm as I?

Diane

2011/6/11 9:02Profile
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Re: Blessed are you, O Precious Worm

Diane, how indeed we need to be reminded of His effectual His work is. Who better to appreciate our Awesome God than the lowly, the worm.

Alas how the creature often elevates himself above his Creator. It may be heard that though he is the most lowly and crawls underground his work should be honored. He should be put on the worm pedestal and his work touted. He should receive the worm trophy. Didn't he aerate? Didn't he fertilize and profit the ground. O how he gave himself to feed the foul, reptile, and fish. The worm that is........certainly man would not be so bold.

2011/6/11 10:13Profile
roadsign

Re: Save the endangered "worm"!

QUOTE BY LYLE: Who better to appreciate our Awesome God than the lowly, the worm.

Sadly the “worm” imagery has fallen into disrepute. This meditation is my effort to restore it. The worm has become synonymous with vile and unlovable. “Worm theology” is allegedly responsible for promoting self depreciation and shame. Yet we don’t see that application of the “worm” in scripture – for a good reason. That would have the reverse effect – driving one away from the Savior into the quagmire of self-absorption and legalism.

I suspect that many theologians of the past have been falsely accused of portraying the human as a despicable creature through the use of the “worm”. One could interpret it that way in Isaac Watt’s hymn – and indeed modern hymnbooks have replaced the unfortunate little word with something less “derogatory”. I think more thoughtfulness would be the better alternative.

Why replace “worm” when we can restore it and use to help us understand who we are beneath all our self-created walls of defense. For only when we see our worm-i-ness – that is, our spiritual poverty can we also see our need for a new defense: Christ himself – our salvation – not just in conversion, but every moment of our lives.

What are some ways that we attempt to deny or cover up our worm-i-ness? (Here I am speaking, not of the people of the world, but the people of God – we, ourselves)

How can the “worm” depict the doctrine of total depravity in a way that exalts the grace of Christ? Here I am not asking for theological language, but for a reflection on how our lives themselves depict such grand spiritual truths.

Diane

2011/6/12 6:45Profile
crusader

Australia:

Re:

Hi Diane

what an awesome post it is refreshing to read this stuff as it is rare in todays christianity teachings. it is when i acknowledge my own abilites as a worm, that Jesus christ is truley glorified in me and my testimony. I only breath because of his mercy, i can do nothing with out his strength.

it is when i came to the cross 5 weeks ago and knelt down in front of jesus, with a sinful behaviour that has been with me my whole life that the Lord set me free of it. i admitted to the Lord that i had tried everything to stop it and get rid of it but it would come back into my life. i said to the Lord that i know longer can try anymore. it was with the tears from this that the Lord set me free right there. this area of sin has been fired at me everyday since then but there is a strength covering me and that is the the shield of faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Everyday since this time the Lord has illuminated my mind to the deceptions of satans doctrines in my life that led to pride and self righteousness. it was satans deception that puffed me up thinking i was more then what was real and it was his darts that deflated me to point of feeling non-existance even to a point of wanting to commit suicide on a weekly basis.

today i stand in the strength of the Lord and not mine own this is the Lords testimony in me that he is alive and working today. coming from this foundation keeps me humble, to call upon the Lord everyday and a zeal to worship him in spirit. thanks for the post diane

2011/6/13 4:21Profile

Re: Blessed are you, O Precious Worm

Quote:
“Here I am, a nothing --an earthworm, something to step on, to squash.” (The Message)

The Message is garbage; it is a counterfeit bible, created by man and serving satan. It substitutes God's Word with man's.
Throw it out and get a real bible, one that is Holy.
For it is written, "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by EVERY word that proceedeth from the mouth of GOD". Not man.

2011/6/13 6:48
crusader

Australia:

Re:

Hi cyan

i agree with you about the other versions of bibles but i need to ask you. i am curious and have been since your reply on this post. why did you only awnser to the bible reference and not the rest of the post. i would like to hear your responce to the rest of it. otherwise it looks like that you are just going through the post to find its fault and not its truth. If you believe the full post is either at fault or not then you need to say so this is how we break bread together and allows the holy spirit to correct one another. hopefully i have said this how i intended it to be from my heart and not to cause offence.

2011/6/15 6:03Profile

Re:

I appreciate the worm analogy, in its proper context. It is akin to being like a grass-hopper in the context of a great and mighty God. It flows from how small a man feels in the presence of God. It is in the same vein as " woe is me for I am undone." A man, standing in the presence of God, understands how small he is. Yet the same man is overwhelmed that a God this big, loves him. Its this that ruins a man for life, the revelation that despite his lowliness, the God of all creation loves him so much that He came and walked the earth and died for him upon the cross. Now this worm realizes that he is an adopted son of the Living God.

The flip side to this is the legalist, the self absorbed,the one whose eye is only on himself and his sin, the one whose eye has never beheld the glory of God, the one who cannot say " my eyes have seen the King and the train of His robe fills the temple." They are easily identified, because they typically add the word " vile," and identify themselves as vile worms. This becomes their identity and they transform it into a virtue and become proud and self-righteous.............brother Frank

2011/6/15 9:41

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy