SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Urban Myths (Lies) You've Probably Heard From The Pulpit

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Re:

From what I researched regarding tradition as well as thread make up and custom it appears to be around 4" thick. I purchased some movie theater drapes that were a little less than 1/2 inch thick and they were almost too heavy for one man to carry just one of the four drapes. If you consider four inch thickness with the weight of what is being described, now that would be a feat. Christ tearing it, No problem, but the Jews trying to hang something of that weight? Incredible!

2011/6/6 19:11Profile

Re:

That's incredible. And after.seeing that tear the Jews still woukd not believe in Jesus as their messiah.

2011/6/6 20:42
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

I question some of this research. The valley of Hinnom was a place of child sacrifice and awful pagan worship. It appears that by the time of Christ this area had become a never ending burning trash heap which made it an easy illustration of the fires of hell.

2011/6/6 22:13Profile

Re:

Quote:
I must confess I fell for the Voltaire one. And even the NASA. Ok we want talk of my experiences with Area 51. But before I make a further fool of myself. Not that I haven't in this forum I need my betters to correct me on these possible urban myths. Is it true that Madeine Murray O'hare's son was converted to Christ and is a gospel minister? Is it true that Normal MaCorlvey is Roe in Roe vs Wade? Is it true she is converted? Is it true that the recent earthquake in Japan shifted the earth 10 degrees on its axis? Is it true that God has converted muslem terrorist in Saul of Tarsus like experiences? Your answers to these possible urban myths may spare me from possible embarrassment at a dinner fellowship. Though I will continue to embarrass myself in this forum.

Yes, it is true that Norma MacOrlvey (or however you spell her last name) was Roe in Roe vs. Wade... and yes, she claims to be a born again Christian and is now working for a Pro-Life organization. I've actually seen her interviewed before... I think on FoxNews.

As to the other things you mentioned, I've heard them all before but do not have the time right now to investigate them for you.

Krispy

2011/6/7 7:03

Re:

Quote:
I question some of this research. The valley of Hinnom was a place of child sacrifice and awful pagan worship. It appears that by the time of Christ this area had become a never ending burning trash heap which made it an easy illustration of the fires of hell.

To the best of my ability I researched these things before I posted them (mainly because I hate being wrong in front of everyone... lol). However, if you can show that I am in error please do so. We should all be about the truth, even if it means we have to be corrected.

Krispy

2011/6/7 7:05
LoisTverberg

Re: Urban Myths (Lies) You've Probably Heard From The Pulpit

I recently wrote a historical analysis of the saying about "being covered in the dust of your rabbi."

http://ourrabbijesus.com/2012/01/27/covered-in-the-dust-of-your-rabbi-an-urban-legend/

It's not an urban legend. The idea actually originates from a well-known scholar of first-century Judaism.

2012/2/3 15:33Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

International Standard Biblical Encyclopedia: Gehenna and Valley of Hinnom entry. Rather than copy and paste it here, check out these classic reference tools.

Easton's Bible Dictionary: Gehenna entry.

There are many other references that can be found on E-Sword.net or Biblestudytools.com for free.

2012/2/3 18:49Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

It stands to reason if these are all urban myths than how many more myths are we hearing from the pulpit thinking it is truth? Do you ever wonder?

2012/2/3 19:22Profile
hoohoou

Texas

Re:

I think the problem is that preachers, for whatever reason, have moved away from just preaching the Gospel. In an attempt to persuade as many as possible they have grasped at straws in order to make the faith more real.

I think preaching the basic Gospel and how that applies to our life could take multiple lifetimes to complete. I'm not sure you'd ever finish. Take Paul Washer for example. I watched an interview where he was amazed so many people wanted to hear him speak. He said he only had about 2-3 sermons that he would tackle from different perspectives.

Do we need any more than that?

2012/2/4 22:46Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
hoohoou
I think the problem is that preachers, for whatever reason, have moved away from just preaching the Gospel. In an attempt to persuade as many as possible they have grasped at straws in order to make the faith more real.

This is the gospel according to Lisa and you are free to disagree!! I would call it “emotionalism” and it seems that a huge bunch of the preachers in the church began using it when the Holy Spirit left the building; since the Holy Spirit wasn’t there to convict people, they had to come up with “ways” to get people to the altar. I guess a better question would be why did the Holy Spirit leave their church (if He actually did, of course)?

Quote:
I watched an interview where he was amazed so many people wanted to hear him speak. He said he only had about 2-3 sermons that he would tackle from different perspectives.

That is really sad that he admitted that; and with that, I rest my case.

God bless,
Lisa

2012/2/5 5:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy