SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Making time to know Him and make Him known by Jason Robinson

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Making time to know Him and make Him known by Jason Robinson

I am constantly meditating on the subject of time, and on how much I hate this culture we live in (not the people, but the rat race, materialistic, hustle and bustle lifestyle that consumes so many believers, keeping them running in the endless hamster wheel). It pulls us from intimate fellowship with Jesus, and with each other, and keeps us from living a life for the next Kingdom. It is so easy for you and I to get caught up in a "hurry-worry syndrome," busy, but busy doing too much of nothing as far as eternity is concerned. Busy with making money to pay off things we do not need, juggling too many things. It all seems ultra-important at the moment---but later we realize much was done at the expense of cultivating a deeper and more meaningful relationship with our Father.

Many are being held hostage by this time-consuming culture with its endless entertainment, family events, baby showers for second cousins, birthday parties for relatives, much needed overtime to pay off consumer debt, etc., etc. THIS IS NOT HOW WE WERE MEANT TO LIVE. We are here on earth to get to know our Father and to make Him know to others who have yet to know Him. If you were to ask most Christians "who is the light of the world, the most common answer you would get back would be Jesus. However this is not what Jesus said. Jesus said clearly WE are the light of the world.

“YOU are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people who light a lamp stand put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.” Matt 5:13-16

Maybe the "Bowl" we put over our lamp stand is being busy and having misguided priorities. Ask yourself, "Have I put the "bowl" of not having enough time over the light that God has given me? When is the last time I took the time to tell someone their need for Jesus?

Knowing how prone we are to this, Jesus offered His followers a different lifestyle. It is two fold.
First he said, "Mary has chosen what is better." Luke 10:42 That is sitting at His feet. Paul says in 1 Timothy 2:2, "that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence."
This summer take some time to sit in a hammock with some lemonade and a Bible. Go on a walk with Jesus in a beautiful park and talk with Him as you view His creation. Jesus set aside time by himself to talk to His Dad. How much more needful this should be for us. But it requires taking the time to do it and it takes a restructuring of our lifestyle.

The second thing that Jesus instructed His followers to do that would pull them away from the vain patterns of the world is to set aside time to tell others of the Father's Love. Luke 10:1-3 says,“After this the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by two ahead of him to EVERY town and place where he was about to go. He told them, ‘The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field. GO! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves.’”

Notice 3 things about this verse that should cause us to change our lifestyle:
1. First, He tells us as His disciples to pray for workers. I am not trying to put a guilt trip over any of us, but to wake us up out of this "American Dream" slumber. So I will ask, "When is the last time you took time to ask the Father to send out workers into His field?"

2. Second, we need to ask ourselves this question about the above command from Jesus: "Is it right to pray for something that we ourselves are not willing to do?"

3. Finally, notice that as soon as He tells them to "ask the Lord of the harvest for workers", He immediately says "GO" to the very ones that He just got done telling to pray.

As we enter a new season of the year, I simply want to remind us all to hit the reset button of our lifestyle. We need to pull away from this godless, busy, materialistic culture, and restructure our lives in such a way that we have time to sit at His feet, and have time to reach out to those who do not know our awesome Father.

2011/5/31 18:44Profile
Enochh

Indianapolis

Re: Making time to know Him and make Him known by Jason Robinson

I just love the way you work and speak to me Lord..I own my own company. Which for those that don't know ain't all its cracked up to be. I work a lot of hours and I'm the last to get payed. When a customer refuses to pay, like the $3000.00
bill I ate last month I lose. So I'm usually pressed for time. I was in a resturant yesterday waiting on my to go order (of course) and listening to Mark Case "my people are not ready"...I just began to weep inside as I looked at the people. I just wanted to jump up and plead with them..."Oh please listen to His call. His coming is so soon". Well this morning I was running late and started to cut short my devotion time and do the readers digest version of prayer time. I just couldn't. I told the Lord " I'm not doing that ever again. I'm gonna spend some time with You late or not late. Loose a job I don't care". With me, my circumstances are a bit different, but I've just come to the place in my life where I am so tired of the world robbing me of the one thing that counts, my Lord. He is answering my prayer. I requested some months back that He would be the treasure of my heart. I just can't shake the image Francis Chan portrayed in a message of being in His presence on that day.
None of this stuff will matter then....no rat race, no American dream. Just me and the One I have to give account to.

2011/5/31 20:47Profile
Jeremy221

Re: Life

I think that there are some fundamental problems with this article. Why did the author not call the readers to repentance from their dead works? "Good" and evil? Does he not understand what it means to walk in the Spirit versus the flesh?

Today after some depressing spiritual battle, the Lord lead me to this sermon by Carter Conlon,

Marvelous Kindness In A Strong City by Carter Conlon

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=20923&commentView=itemComments

It can be so binding to strive to fulfill the Law of the Spirit in the flesh that we feel defeated and lose hope. God will be God when we will harken and rest.

Peace on you brethren. Amen.

2011/5/31 21:52Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Thanks for posting that message jeremy..

2011/6/1 22:32Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Enochh

Quote:
by Enochh
I requested some months back that He would be the treasure of my heart. I just can't shake the image Francis Chan portrayed in a message of being in His presence on that day. None of this stuff will matter then....no rat race, no American dream. Just me and the One I have to give account to..

Amen brother, amen! Thank you for posting this.

God bless you, brother
Sister Lisa

PS: And the I believe the Lord will be reimbursed on that $3000 brother, one way or another. Please don't forget to pray for mercy for the man who knew he stole that from you.

2011/6/2 7:09Profile
tableturner

"some fundamental problems"

"Why do you criticize and pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you look down upon or despise your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God. And so each of us shall give an account of himself - give an answer in reference to judgment - to God. Then let us no more criticize and blame and pass judgment on one another,"
Romans 14:10-13a

Quote:
"some fundamental problems"

2011/6/7 11:39Profile
ManofGod0000

Re: "some fundamental problems"

I totally understand my friend, this world is very depressing and sad. That is what and how i have summed it up for this day n time we live in. A very sad world.

Hope is only in Christ

2011/6/7 12:17Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Quote:
Hope is only in Christ

Amen brother, this is very true.

Heb 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

Heb 12:14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

2011/6/7 12:28Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re: Making time to know Him and make Him known by Jason Robinson

Thank you for posting the article Greg. I truly believe we all need these kinds of exhortations every now and then. The Bible is full of such exhortations to believers. I think sometimes our flesh cries out against such exhortations because it wants to be pampered and not exhorted. It wants us to think that everything is okay with our lifestyle and doesn't want anyone or anything to impede on it.

That said, I also understand the concern of some regarding legalism vs. the Spirit's leading. I think it comes down to balance. There is a place for looking after the cares of this world, for spending time with family, for recreation, etc. But there also must be a time for the Lord and the things of the kingdom of God. And the latter should be our number one priority above all else.

I thought the questions posed by the author of the article were good and valid questions for us to consider as followers of Christ. Too many of us, including myself, get bogged down by the cares of this world and they choke out the Word of God from being effectual in our lives.

Reminds me of that song, "Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face, And the things of earth will grow strangely dim, In the light of His glory and grace."

2011/6/7 12:47Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Quote:
That said, I also understand the concern of some regarding legalism vs. the Spirit's leading. I think it comes down to balance. There is a place for looking after the cares of this world, for spending time with family, for recreation, etc. But there also must be a time for the Lord and the things of the kingdom of God. And the latter should be our number one priority above all else.

Amen brother.

Mar 9:23 Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.

2011/6/7 13:27Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy