SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Writer urges Internet junkies to 'switch off' and think

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Writer urges Internet junkies to 'switch off' and think

Like tens of millions of others, US technology writer Nicholas Carr found the lure of the worldwide web hard to resist -- until he noticed it was getting harder and harder to concentrate.

He set out his concerns in a celebrated essay headlined "Is Google making us stupid?"

In a speech at last week's Seoul Digital Forum and an interview with AFP, Carr restated his concerns that IT is affecting the way people think and feel and even the physical make-up of their brains.

Every new technology in history -- like the map and the clock -- changed the way people think but Carr sees special dangers in the Internet. ...

read more: http://bit.ly/kheB7g

2011/5/31 9:29Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re: Writer urges Internet junkies to 'switch off' and think

This article has me in lots of prayer this morning. I have noticed the exact same thing for a while.

2011/5/31 11:27Profile
hoohoou

Texas

This something that I noticed about two years ago. I had just rededicated my life to Christ and decided to turn off all TV, radio, internet and any book other than the Bible for 30 days. Not only did my walk with the Lord turn up a notch or 12 but I found myself thinking clearer and was much more calm about life.

I've come to find out later in life that had I been born 10 or 15 years later I most likely would have been put on Ritalin for having ADD. People always told me to just pay more attention. I would and after they were done talking all that I could remember was my own inner dialogue saying, "Pay attention. Matt, pay attention." I wouldn't have a clue what they said.

That 30 days showed me how much channel surfing, surfing the internet and bouncing from radio channel to radio channel was doing to stir up my mind. It makes sense. How are you supposed to be still and know that God is God if you're never still for more than the 7 hours that you sleep? You have to practice. I found that reading is the best thing for me, both spiritually and otherwise. It makes me slow down my rabbit brain and think.

2011/5/31 13:25Profile
Enochh

Indianapolis

i could not agree more. I found the same confusion and inability to concentrate appearing in my life. I made some changes about 30 days ago and am clearer already. Turned off the T.V completely. No radio in the auto while driving. Limit internet to brief check of mail and SI of course. The Lord has really been on me to "Be still"....

2011/5/31 14:43Profile
Joyful_Heart

Re:

Amen! This just might be what I need again. Only have the internet! I am going to really seek the Lord on this. Thanks for posting. Glory to God!

2011/5/31 19:42Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy