SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Are You Demon Centered or Christ Centered?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Are You Demon Centered or Christ Centered?

When i first converted to Christ many years ago i got caught up in the "spiritual warfare" scene. I bought all the popular culture books on this, including those by authors Mark Bubeck, Neil Anderson, Thomas White, Don Basham and Derek Prince, William Schnoebelen, and others. One book, titled "Pigs in the Parlor" (i forget the author) had a demon for every thing under the sun. If you felt anxious you must have a anxiety demon, if you forgot to clean your kitchen this week you must have an unclean spirit or demon of sloth. It was to the point of absurdity. A demon behind every bush.

While i disregarded the teachings of that particular book, the other books had me convinced that the reason i had problems in my life was because of demons. Actually, most of my troubles stemmed from a broken childhood and broken home. At one point i even started to think i myself might be possessed and so a pentacostal man who supposedly had a "deliverance ministry" began trying to cast things out of me (the appointment having been set up mostly because of my own seeking out of such a person). During the episode it all became so ridiculous that i could not stifle a small laugh or chuckle, because he was "calling out" things i knew had nothing to do with me. Then because i chuckled he decided i must have a mocking demon and he proceeded to try to cast this imaginary demon out. The man was a farmer by trade and had come in from the field without washing his hands before meeting with me and i noticed he had mud under all his fingernails! Eh? Demon of filthiness? It spoke to me symbolically and i got the gut feeling the man had his own "spiritual" dirt. LOL.I realized through all this what a mistake i had made in thinking there was anything to be cast out at all and left feeling foolish.

Eventually one day it occurred to me that the devil was getting a whole lot of attention and glory and that all my focus on Christ had been turned to the devil and his demons.
Not only in my thoughts and in my reading material but in my conversation. I talked more about the devil and darkness than i did about Jesus. Suddenly i saw that i had been tricked! It was all a clever set up.

I repented of this sad track i had been on and tossed out most of those books, especially the Neil Anderson and Mark Bubeck ones.While i still think that I may be dealing with some things that may be demonic from time to time, it is not the focus it used to be. With my focus back on Christ I dont see a demon behind every trouble anymore. We live in a fallen world and bad things happen. I'm also slowly learning that Christians are supposed to expect "trials" to test our faith. No one ever taught me that in the Methodist church i was raised in! I thought that was only for supersaints! But then i also recently learned that God is trying to mold us and make us more like His Son, Jesus. Fancy that. Who woulda thought.

When you are finally Christ-focused you learn that a true Holy Ghost filled person CANNOT be possessed. You CANNOT be possessed by both the Holy Spirit and an evil spirit. There is not one man of God who ever was possessed by both at the same time. Even King Saul.

So, please ask yourself where your thoughts and focus are and be careful to see that you are not in the same clever deception i fell into when i was a baby Christian.

2011/5/26 21:48
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Are You Demon Centered or Christ Centered?

Excellent! Thanks for sharing this honest testimony.

Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
(Isaiah 26:3)

Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
(Hebrews 12:1-2)

In Christ,

Ron

2011/5/26 22:11Profile

Re:

Thank you Ron. I have began to notice some posters tip too much in the very same direction i was once in. It is a fine line to walk sometimes. Balance is needed.

2011/5/26 22:13

Re: Cyan

Brother thanks for the testimony. The focus should aleays be on Jesus. We are admonished by scripture to be on guard against the evil one but our eyes are on Christ. As the carrier pilots say keep your eyes on the ball.

2011/5/27 11:16
rufnrust

Indiana

Re: Are You Demon Centered or Christ Centered?

It is often the case that when Jesus showed up, the demons exposed themselves. They couldn't handle it, it seems. Apparently they had been there all along, just unchallenged.

When we walk with Jesus on a certain level, we see it happen also. I wasn't out "looking" for demons. They saw Jesus coming in me and exposed themselves and were dealt with appropriately.

Ruf

2011/5/29 15:26Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy