SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Should Christian Women Wear Earrings? What Do You Believe?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Should Christian Women Wear Earrings? What Do You Believe?

CyAn,

May I suggest you make this a subject for serious study, remembering the NT has the final word on it because it is a new will from the heavenly Father.

You can ask a hundred people this question and you will get all kinds of opinions. Usually if someone draws back and says 'no' you will be labeled legalistic but do not let this bother you. You are accountable to God and Him only. Study the WORD, asking the LORD for Holy Spirit inspiration and what you will learn will be yours and not dependent on opinions.

God bless.
ginnyrose

2011/5/22 23:43Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Hi Cyan,
Someone that had come to my website, had commented asking me the same thing.

Here is part of an email that I had sent out to her. It is the jewels of grace and mercy which draw others, not the jewels and riches of this world.

"Amy at first did not teach her girls not to wear jewelry, but then she began to see the heart matter to these girls. Things may have changed in India since then, but during Amy's day Jewelry meant a lot, when it comes to social class. The connotation behind it was about caste system. You may know more about this than I do. However, eventually Amy saw that perhaps something needed to be said. This is one girl's reply that was under the care of Amy. She may have seen the idolatry that can take place in one's heart when it comes to jewelry. Her home was now with Jesus, and reputation and anything else did not matter anymore.

This is the section from the book,
This is one of the girls, under Amy Carmichael's care 'I don't want jewels. I have Jesus now." her parents were trying to lure her back with the bribe of jewelry. But her hope was in Jesus.

Here is another section in the book.
'Only the evening before she had heard a child (referring to Ponnammal say, "When I grow up I will join that Band so that I may wear jewels like that sister." Ponnammal asked the Lord about this and the answer came, "Thou shalt also be a crown of glory in the hand of the Lord, and a royal diadem in the hand of thy God." The message was unmistakeable. She saw herself as the Indian world would see her--unjewelled, a marked women, and eyesore, an offense. To take off her jewels was unnatural, disgraceful, even hypocritical. But in the Lord's eyes? He would see the love that lay behind the action. She went home, took of the jewels, laid them as His feet.'

Now on to Scripture. For Americans the connotation behind jewelry may or may not be the same or similar. But the point is, what are we using to draw others to Jesus. Is it the outward adornment? or is it the power of Christ? is it the power of His spirit? The sweetness of His love? the goodness of His heart? Is our jewelry, or clothing, or hair drawing others away from Him? Is it a distraction? The same can be said about our attitude, our lack of love for others, our bitter spirits. Anything that draws one away from Christ, is a hindrance to the gospel. May we seek Him more, so that we may know Him more, and then be conformed more into His image. How can we know Him if we spend not time in His presence, communing and desiring Him more?

1Pe 3:3 Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;
1Pe 3:4 But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price."

Some may say this is being legalistic, but if Peter thought it was important enough to mention in his letter , then it is important.

2011/5/23 0:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy