SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Should Christian Women Wear Earrings? What Do You Believe?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Should Christian Women Wear Earrings? What Do You Believe?

Should Christian women wear earrings? Does it make them appear worldly(and thereby tarnish their Christian witness)?
What do YOU believe and can you support it with scripture?

I know some legalistic people believe women should never wear pants or bathing suits. I am not trying to promote legalism here by suggesting we should judge others who wear them if we happen to believe against wearing them. I am just wondering where the truth lies in this and what would please God more. Since i became a Believer i have not worn earrings and at least one (male) Christian actually complimented me on the fact that i do NOT wear them and seemed to respect me more for it. For some people they symbolize Egypt or worldliness. Some might also say that they "profane" God's creation, in the same way that wielding a tool on a rock for the altar in OT times profaned it. At times I also think that women who wear them actually draw attention away from their eyes (making them less pretty, not more!). Some OT Hebrew woman wore them, but that doesnt necessarily mean that God smiles upon it. I want to know what mature Christians believe on this.

2011/5/22 8:22

Re: Should Christian Women Wear Earrings? What Do You Believe?

1Pe 3:3 Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

Peter as well as Paul proclaim for christian women to be reserved and modest in their appearance. Ultimatly God is saying this to women and men.

I would suggest that if a women wants to wear earings to keep them moderate. Their are big hoop rings and rings that hang down. this starts to enter into drawing attention to the outward, fleshly, "look at me" approach.

Also keep in mind that you set an example for young girls.

God bless as you learn what is pleasing to the Lord!

2011/5/22 8:40
MaryJane

CyAn

Personally I do not have a problem with women wearing earrings or pants as long as its done modestly. I think if you label ear rings as unacceptable to God then you really have to say all forms of jewelery are unacceptable, including the wedding band/engagement rings worn by many women? Then you could go on from there and say that wearing any form of makeup or fixing your hair is unacceptable to God because that could be viewed by some as adorning themselves also. For some ear rings seems to be unacceptable to the next person it might be necklaces or bracelets ect...

Personally I have seen some women who draw more attention to themselves by dressing "down" to such a degree that they stand out and its not because they appear more christian. There is some really wonderful teachings on this subject of modest dress and wearing makeup/jewelery that have really helped me to see and understand this topic better. I think we always have to be careful not to judge by appearances after all some of the most modestly dressed, least adorned women in the world today are Muslims women. I appreciate your heart in asking and I am sure you will get many good responses to this topic. I know for many women this is a struggle especially the dressing modestly part because finding clothing in today stores is very challenging.

God Bless
mj

2011/5/22 10:03Profile
rufnrust

Indiana

Rebekah did.

Ruf

2011/5/22 13:35Profile

Re:

As a brother I am not going to comment on whether you should wear ear rings. It seems that would be an area for the Holy Spirit to give counsel in. However I do agree with the sister who called for women to dress modestly in churches. It seems the American evangelical church has become too casual and carnal in it's dress. I do not want to advocate legalism but I find it distracting when talking to sisters in or out of church in the way they dress. It seems there should be some teaching on this. Maybe the men need teaching in how they dress also.

2011/5/22 15:13
Lysa

East TN for now!

Quote:
martyr wrote:
It seems that would be an area for the Holy Spirit to give counsel in....

It seems the American evangelical church has become too casual and carnal in its dress.

I agree with you but who lets Him give counsel with all the man-made rules and regulations? People are not taught to listen to the Holy Spirit anymore because the leaders aren’t listening to the Holy Spirit.

I was listening to Derek Prince the other day and he said (paraphrased), “Where there is more law there is more carnality.” I find that to be true.

Just my two cents, not much these days!! God bless you,
Lisa

2011/5/22 18:05Profile
Meekness

Georgia

In two places in the bible it advises women NOT to adorn themselves with jewelry but adorn themselves inwardly.1 Peter 3:3, 1 timothy 2:9. Once is enough to command obedience but its mentioned twice. What is the point of wearing jewelry? The root is pride and self glorification. The goal is to beautify ones self or make oneself look attractive so others can admire or desire us. The bible says of Jesus in Isaiah 53:2 'He had no beauty that we should desire him." But yes, he was the most beautiful, how? The beauty of his character. Christian women should focus on being beautiful inwardly. We want to have the humility of Christ and adorn ourselves with his commpassion, love, patience, meekness.
God also puts a special beauty upon you if you spend enough time in his presence that others can't help but notice. (His beauty) 'LET THE BEAUTY OF THE LORD OUR GOD BE UPON US.' I do not wear jewelry and it has given me many opportunities to share Christ. Also the simply beauty on my face coming from his presence draws many to his beauty. Let us aim to reflect the beauty that comes from him not from outer adornment. His beauty on our faces will transform lives. in love, meekness.

2011/5/22 21:46Profile

Re:

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses to this question! I respect every one of your opinions and counsel. Wow, what a diversity of opinions on this subject! And each of them have valid points. Thank you! Wonderful!

2011/5/22 22:20

Re:

Lisa writes:

Quote:
I was listening to Derek Prince the other day and he said (paraphrased), “Where there is more law there is more carnality.” I find that to be true.

I find that to be true, too.

A777

2011/5/22 22:52
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

I agree with Meekness. The saints of the past usually frowned upon the wearing of jewelry. Real beauty though is of the heart.
Another Scripture is Is.3:16-24 when God says he will remove the pride of the daughters of Israel. Some things in this list will need to be studied to understand what is meant.

Moreover the LORD saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet Therefore the LORD will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the LORD will discover their secret parts.
In that day the Lord will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments about their feet, and their cauls, and their round tires like the moon, The chains, and the bracelets, and the mufflers,The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the tablets, and the earrings,The rings, and nose jewels,The changeable suits of apparel, and the mantles, and the wimples, and the crisping pins, The glasses, and the fine linen, and the hoods, and the vails. And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and instead of a girdle a rent; and instead of well set hair baldness; and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackcloth; and burning instead of beauty.

2011/5/22 23:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy