SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Should I Teach VBS?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

Maybe He is OK with it either way. Sometimes its about balance, sometimes not, as I know you know. I used to sign up for everything and got way burned out.

2011/5/21 16:48
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
We do not need to seek God as to whether to teach His word to others. Now if God told you specifically NOT to teach that particular class at that particular time, then you must know that God had a reason for it and obey, but default mode would be "yes". Recall Paul assaying to go to Bethinia and etc. but the Lord forbade him to do so. Paul's default was "yes, lets go"

This is an issue I wrestled with.

Just like to share how I got rid of a stumbling block, an issue that I really did not know was working as one.

I felt compelled to call our SIL to see whether our granddaughter would be coming to help with VBS. I so want her to come but also knew I would not have the time to spend with her as I would like. Here I was between a rock and a hard place. Anyhow, after discussing this with our SIL he shared the concern that Carmen had about her lack of time to be with me, her grandmother, that she is opting to not come at this time.

Would you know that once I knew this, a burden lifted from my heart? Amazing. Then I felt the freedom to pursue it.

Love y'alls insights - it is so encouraging.

2011/5/21 21:49Profile
SolaVeritas

SK Canada

Re: Should I Teach VBS?

My thoughts on this are that, sure, five lessons isn't much time, but if these teens can see that you love and honor Jesus that can make a bigger impact than anything you can say. Your witness is perhaps more important than having perfect lessons, no? Such an oportunity, I hope you'll take it find joy in it.

2011/5/21 21:55Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Should I Teach VBS?

As of the moment, I am planning on discussing the Beatitudes. In studying for this I became aware of the progression of these beatitudes - how each will lead up to the next one. Like #4 cannot be true without the previous three being operational in the life of the individual. AND how they so factor in bringing one to the LORD. Never noticed this before...

Anyhow...

I have over an hour with these girls so in addition to the Bible study I would like to do something else and am at a loss what to do. I considered several options but there are several problems.
1. There will be only four classes.
2. Age difference - what I may consider fun or interesting, they will think otherwise, SO what do young girls enjoy? Consider - some of them barely know how to use a scissors least of all a needle.
3. And it cannot be too expensive.
4. Attendance may be sporadic.

Anyone have any ideas?

2011/6/7 23:06Profile
SolaVeritas

SK Canada

Re:

Thank you for pointing this out about the beatitudes, I didn't see this before either. Looks to me as if the first four pertain to salvation and the last four(five)to
Christian living.
Here's the thing that came to my mind for the lessons: Why not let each girl create four scrapbook pages, one for every lesson. They can contain the scripture(2 verses per lesson?), insights, goals for living the verses. They could write short poems or prayers to go with it if there's enough time.
I figured out a way for myself to remember the order of the beatitudes (It starts at the head and progresses down to your feet) and you could take pictures of them individually and as a group doing these actions: Poor in spirit=hands on head, mourning=rub eyes, meek=point to speaking mouth, hunger=clutch throat, mercy=extend hands, heart=hands on heart, peacemakers=peace sign on belt buckle(it's a stretch, I know, perhaps a bended knee instead?), persecuted=feet in runners(might have to escape)
They cold add the pictures to the pages and take them home. If they turn out nice they may end up on their walls and help them never to forget what they learned. If you ask, some ladies may have lots of scrap papers, ribbons, etc. to donate for this. You could prepare printed text for them to cut down on time. Just an idea, not sure what age group you'll have but I'm pretty sure they can hold the scissors long enough to cut some paper strips. :)

2011/6/10 22:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy