SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : What will we do on Sun, 22 May, and after?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
serendip

What will we do on Sun, 22 May, and after?

(The following "essay" assumes that many of the people who are expecting to be raptured according to Harold Camping's teaching are saved and have been deceived. I may be able to judge a man's fruit, but only God can judge the status of his heart. Therefore I presume that at least some of them are saved.)

Harold Camping claims that he has calculated that Jesus will return and rapture/catch away His faithful believers on Sat, May 21st. Many of those who are believing his prediction are living their lives as though they, literally, will not be here on Sun the 22nd. They have sold or given away their belongings, quit their jobs, etc. This even includes families w/ young children who have mortgages and other debts and obligations. One couple told NPR that they both had quit their jobs, cashed out their retirement plans and have been budgeting and living their lives since then w/ the intent that all their money will be gone on or about 21 May.

When Sun. 22 May dawns and Harold Camping and all the adherents to his prediction are still here, then the Church and Christian believers will be confronted w/ an interesting and, I believe, critical decision: What will be our attitude and response to HC and his followers? The media and the 'world' will have a great lead story w/ nothing good to say about them. They will be subjected to the derision and ridicule that society reserves for people who have done such grandly foolish things, especially those who are or claim to be followers of Jesus. The saddest part of that, in my opinion, will be that many who call themselves Christians will join that choir of mockers.

John 1:17 says, "...grace and truth came through Jesus Christ." James 2:13 says, "...judgement w/out mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgement." Grace and truth came through Jesus, and I believe that they are inseparable, but I also believe that it's significant that 'grace' is listed first, then 'truth'. When all those who firmly believed they wouldn't be here to receive them start receiving the bills, mortgage payments, car payments, utility bills, etc. what will be our response. Will we confront them w/ the truth of their folly in believing a clearly false teaching? Or will we exercise grace and compassion? Will we join w/ 'the crowd', pointing the finger at them in judgement and mockery for their foolishness? Or will we be merciful and generous, opening our hearts and our wallets to help them in their time of suffering which will be the consequence of their tragic decision?

I imagine that many of them, perhaps most of them, out of pride, shame or fear, will refuse any and all offers of help and expressions of love, care and compassion. That doesn't release us from our obligation to them, as part of the Body of Christ, to sincerely offer love and assistance. And, like the forgiving, faithful father of the prodigal son, don't give up on them. Keep our eyes and hearts open for them and, when they are yet a long way off, run to meet them and welcome them w/ open arms and rejoicing when they return in repentance. (Realizing that there is a big difference between saying, "Hallelujah, we're glad you've seen the error of your ways!" and, "Hallelujah, we're glad you're home! We've really missed you!" If they are repentant, that means God has already shown them the error of their ways. There's no need for us to try to do a better job than the one He's already done.)

I believe that the Church that refuses to join the scornful crowd that mocks these unfortunate brothers and sisters will be the Church that hears our Lord say, "Inasmuch as you did it to the least of these, my brethren, you did it to me. Enter into My rest." And the church that joins w/ the mockers will be in danger of hearing Him say, "Depart from Me. I never knew you." And it is that first Church that will have earned the right to speak to the world the Gospel Message, "God loved you so much that He gave..."

2011/5/12 1:56Profile

Re: What will we do on Sun, 22 May, and after?

love them....why mock them?

Brother Camping believes that 21 May is IT..done, who knows? Maybe God did speak thru him, but like you say, God willing the dawn of the 22nd of May burns bright, Praise His Name.

2011/5/12 2:25

The so-called victims should go after Camping's coffers.

How could it be proper that he gets away scott free and gets to keep their money while those who believed him, as the case you gave from npr, go into big-time debt?

I just can't figure how these type can legally do what they're doing to people.
My heart does go out to those who believed him, but they're also accountable to follow John 16:13 if they're true believers.
It is sad and I side with you for compassion for these victims, yet, I've known Babes in Christ who would never fall for anything like this.
People are just not taught that "heresy" means "choice - the opinion chosen", which means if they're truly saved, that GOD holds them accountable to be Bereans and put His Word above every man's.

We need discernment on issues like this. Only GOD knows the particulars with each individual person's heart. But I really do believe that Camping needs to be held financially accountable to his followers and then Step-Down.

2011/5/12 2:37
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

Quote:
But I really do believe that Camping needs to be held financially accountable to his followers and then Step-Down

I agree. But on the otherhand, if people are that dumb to be tricked. Well...
Nowhere does it say in the Bible that we are to stop using our head when we believe. We must think things through and try the spirits.

2011/5/12 7:43Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

"But on the otherhand, if people are that dumb to be tricked. Well..."

No Mercy? Come now read Obadiah through a few times focusing on Verse 11 through 14.

I have been gullible and ignorant before and found wrong many times the last thing I wanted was judgment for my ignorance. Also remember sheep are really dumb animals and so they are easily lead astray when the sheperd leads them that way. I agree there was a lacks of disernment but their ignorance is what befail them (should Camping be wrong).

Also I have noticed that many people seems to thing Camping is skeming on this and he very well maybe but isn't it quite possible He truly believes he saw what he describes and his prediction to him are correct in his mind. Please note What He believes and what is reality are two different thing if he is wrong. I personally don't believe he is correct simply because the bible says no one knows. But if you had seen the end and a specific date wouldn't you tell as many as you could in warning?

"Blessed are the Merciful, for they will be shown Mercy."

2011/5/12 7:58Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Quote:
serendip wrote:
They have sold or given away their belongings, quit their jobs, etc. This even includes families w/ young children who have mortgages and other debts and obligations.

I agree we must be there for them. When a flood comes in and carries away many families possessions, when helping them we don’t criticize them saying, “Why did you build your house in a flood zone anyway?” Do we? No, we help them start over and that is what the mature Christian’s in Christ will have to do with these Camping followers, if they will let us.

Most people have a vested interest in believing what they believe, they have literally invested most if not all of their life in a belief and in order to admit they’ve been wrong is almost too much to bear for some so they can’t or won’t do it. But the love of God in us can help them (not force them) to believe the truth.

Quote:
serendip wrote:
The saddest part of that, in my opinion, will be that many who call themselves Christians will join that choir of mockers.

We are not able to rid the world of mockers yet, are we? Christians that mock are not grown up in Christ yet. I can remember being young in the Lord in the 80’s and being afraid (not literally) of opening a newspaper of what would be in it next about Swaggart or Bakker. God forgive me but I remember saying so quite a few times. Thank the Lord He did allow me to stay immature.

Quote:

I imagine that many of them, perhaps most of them, out of pride, shame or fear, will refuse any and all offers of help and expressions of love, care and compassion.

We need to pray for them that they “RECEIVE the love of the truth.” With the technology we have today, any one of us is probably 15 minutes away from worldwide fame through a mistake or something... their mistake will be broadcast, literally, all over the world and the love of Christ in our hearts really does need to be there for those who have an ear to hear and are open to help.

Quote:
Jesus-is-Lord wrote:
But I really do believe that Camping needs to be held financially accountable to his followers and then Step-Down.

My humble opinion (for what it’s worth $-0.00), is that he’s not going to step-down because he doesn’t think he’s wrong. Obviously, he will have to admit his math was wrong but to close-up shop and step-down? Would you, if you believed something so adamantly? I don’t think so.

God help us to not say what we think all the time, especially about other believers.

God bless and to God be all the glory,
Lisa

2011/5/12 9:09Profile

Nothing New....since day one there has been the deceived.

There have been perhaps hundreds of such prophecies since the early Church...and even Paul addressed the rumour that Jesus had already came, and left most behind.

Thessalonians 2:2-4 (New King James Version)
2. Do not to be soon shaken in mind or troubled, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as if from us, as though the day of Christ had come.

3. Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition,

4.... who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God."

Jesus prophesied that no man, nor the angels, nor the Son knew....but only the Father knew. Everyone who has defied that holy Word has been shamed...[ if it were possible in many cases..].

Here is but a meager few of the "Prophets" who did. It seems that one common thread among these has to do with gaining power over God's people.

Failed prophecies:
About 30 CE: The Christian Scriptures (New Testament), when interpreted literally, appear to record many predictions by Yeshua of Nazareth (Jesus Christ) that God's Kingdom would arrive within a very short period, or was actually in the process of arriving.

1.] About 90 CE: Saint Clement 1 predicted that the world end would occur at any moment.

2,] 2nd Century CE: Prophets and Prophetesses of the Montanist movement predicted that Jesus would return sometime during their lifetime and establish the New Jerusalem in the city of Pepuza in Asia Minor.

3,] 365 CE: A man by the name of Hilary of Poitiers, announced that the end would happen that year. It didn't.

4.] 375 to 400 CE: Saint Martin of Tours, a student of Hilary, was convinced that the end would happen sometime before 400 CE.

5.] 500 CE: This was the first year-with-a-nice-round-number-panic. The antipope Hippolytus and an earlier Christian academic Sextus Julius Africanus had predicted Armageddon at about this year.

6.] 968 CE: An eclipse was interpreted as a prelude to the end of the world by the army of the German emperor Otto III.

7.] 992: Good Friday coincided with the Feast of the Annunciation; this had long been believed to be the event that would bring forth the Antichrist, and thus the end-times events foretold in the book of Revelation. Records from Germany report that a new sun rose in the north and that as many as 3 suns and 3 moons were fighting. There does not appear to be independent verification of this remarkable event.

8.] 1000-JAN-1: Many Christians in Europe had predicted the end of the world on this date. As the date approached, Christian armies waged war against some of the Pagan countries in Northern Europe. The motivation was to convert them all to Christianity, by force if necessary, before Christ returned in the year 1000.

Meanwhile, some Christians had given their possessions to the Church in anticipation of the end. Fortunately, the level of education was so low that many citizens were unaware of the year. They did not know enough to be afraid. Otherwise, the panic might have been far worse than it was.

Unfortunately, when Jesus did not appear, the church did not return the gifts. Serious criticism of the Church followed. The Church reacted by exterminating some heretics. Agitation settled down quickly, as it later did in the year 2000.

9.] 1000-MAY: The body of Charlemagne was disinterred on Pentecost. A legend had arisen that an emperor would rise from his sleep to fight the Antichrist.

10.] 1005-1006: A terrible famine throughout Europe was seen as a sign of the nearness of the end.

11.] 1033: Some believed this to be the 1000th anniversary of the death and resurrection of Jesus. His second coming was anticipated. Jesus' actual date of execution is unknown, but is believed to be in the range of 27 to 33 CE.

12.] 1147: Gerard of Poehlde decided that the millennium had actually started in 306 CE during Constantine's reign. Thus, the world end was expected in 1306 CE.

13.] 1179: John of Toledo predicted the end of the world during 1186. This estimate was based on the alignment of many planets.

14.] 1205: Joachim of Fiore predicted in 1190 that the Antichrist was already in the world, and that King Richard of England would defeat him. The Millennium would then begin, sometime before 1205.

15.] 1284: Pope Innocent III computed this date by adding 666 years onto the date the Islam was founded.

16.] 1346 and later: The black plague spread across Europe, killing one third of the population. This was seen as the prelude to an immediate end of the world. Unfortunately, the Christians had previously killed a many of the cats, fearing that they might be familiars of Witches. The fewer the cats, the more the rats. It was the rat fleas that spread the black plague.

17.] 1496: This was approximately 1500 years after the birth of Jesus. Some mystics in the 15th century predicted that the millennium would begin during this year.

18.] 1524: Many astrologers predicted the imminent end of the world due to a world wide flood. They obviously had not read the Genesis story of the rainbow.

19.] 1533: Melchior Hoffman predicted that Jesus' return would happen a millennium and a half after the nominal date of his execution, in 1533. The New Jerusalem was expected to be established in Strasbourg, Germany. He was arrested and died in a Strasbourg jail.

20.] 1669: The Old Believers in Russia believed that the end of the world would occur in this year. 20 thousand burned themselves to death between 1669 and 1690 to protect themselves from the Antichrist.

21.] 1689: Benjamin Keach, a 17th century Baptist, predicted the end of the world for this year.

22.] 1736: British theologian and mathematician William Whitson predicted a great flood similar to Noah's for OCT-13 of this year.

23.] 1792: This was the date of the end of the world calculated by some believers in the Shaker movement.

24.] 1794: Charles Wesley, one of the founders of Methodism, thought Doomsday would be in this year.

25.] 1830: Margaret McDonald, a Christian prophetess, predicted that Robert Owen would be the Antichrist. Owen helped found New Harmony, IN.

26.] 1832?: Joseph Smith (1805-1844) was the founder of the Church of Christ, which became the Restorationist movement after many schisms. It now includes The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- a.k.a. the Mormons, and about a hundred other denominations and sects. He heard a voice while praying, saying that Jesus would return when he was 85..that would have been in 1890.

27.] 1843-MAR-21: William Miller, founder of the Millerite movement, predicted that Jesus would come on this date. A very large number of Christians accepted his prophecy.

28.] 1844-OCT-22: When Jesus did not return, Miller predicted this new date. In an event which is now called "The Great Disappointment," many Christians sold their property and possessions, quit their jobs and prepared themselves for the second coming. Nothing happened; the day came and went without incident.

29.] 1850: Ellen White, founder of the Seven Day Adventists movement, made many predictions of the timing of the end of the world. All failed. On 1850-JUN-27 she prophesied that only a few months remained before the end., and again dramatically in 1856.

30.] 1881: Mother Shipton, (1488 - 1561), a 16th century mystic predicted the end of the world: "...The world to an end shall come; in eighteen hundred and eighty-one."

31.] 1891 or before: On 1835-FEB-14, Joseph Smith, the founder of the Mormon church, attended a meeting of church leaders. He said that the meeting had been called because God had commanded it. He announced that Jesus would return within 56 years -- i.e. before 1891-FEB-15. (History of the Church 2:182)

32. 1914 was one of the more important estimates of the start of the war of Armageddon by the Jehovah's Witnesses (Watchtower Bible and Tract Society).
1914, 1915, 1918, 1920, 1925, 1941, 1975 and 1994, etc. were other dates that the Watchtower Society (WTS) or its members predicted.

The Watchtower Society selected 1975 as its next main prediction.

33.] 1919: Meteorologist Albert Porta predicted that the conjunction of 6 planets would generate a magnetic current that would cause the sun to explode and engulf the earth on DEC-17.
.........sources and website:

Richard Kyle, "The last days are here again: A history of the end times," Baker Books, (1998), Page 111. You can read a review and safely buy this book from Amazon.com online bookstore. ........

William Martin, "Waiting for the End: The growing interest in apocalyptic prophesy," "

Web: ReligiousTolerance.org

2011/5/12 11:24
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: Nothing New....since day one there has been the deceived.

Good list, BrotherTom.

I would also add Edgar C. Whisenant to this list. He wrote "88 REASONS WHY THE RAPTURE WILL HAPPEN IN 1988." In this little book, he predicted that the Rapture would take place between September 11th-13th, 2001. More than 4 Million of his books were sold. When that date didn't pan out, he wrote more books that set the dates in 1989, 1993, 1994 and 1997. He eventually died in 2001 -- approximate ten years ago.

There are others too. Dr. Richard Eby, who wrote CAUGHT UP INTO PARADISE. He claimed to have died and visited Heaven. A few years later, he said that God permitted him to see Hell. In one of his most public claims, Eby stated that God told him that he wouldn't die again before the Lord returned. Eby died in 2002.

Other well-known public ministers have been a bit less specific with dates, while others are more ambiguous with their dates. Lester Sumerall, Jack Van Impe and even Hal Lindsay have set dates by which something apocalyptic will have taken place.

What will we do on Sun, 22 May, and after?

"To live is CHRIST and to die is gain." - Philippians 1:21

I suspect that many believers will continue to seek the Lord diligently UNTIL we finally see our Savior face-to-face. It is the greatest point of our existence -- to spend intimate time with the Creator of all things. We can spend time with Jesus right now. However, we do have the opportunity to present the Good News to a lost and dying world that is growing increasingly dark.

Whatever time we have left on this Earth -- which is short whether you live to be 12 or 120 -- is an opportunity to know God in the here-and-now and introduce Him to others.

2011/5/12 12:39Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Nothing New....since day one there has been the deceived.

Quote:
1.] About 90 CE: Saint Clement 1 predicted that the world end would occur at any moment.

2,] 2nd Century CE: Prophets and Prophetesses of the Montanist movement predicted that Jesus would return sometime during their lifetime and establish the New Jerusalem in the city of Pepuza in Asia Minor.

3,] 365 CE: A man by the name of Hilary of Poitiers, announced that the end would happen that year. It didn't.

4.] 375 to 400 CE: Saint Martin of Tours, a student of Hilary, was convinced that the end would happen sometime before 400 CE.

5.] 500 CE: This was the first year-with-a-nice-round-number-panic. The antipope Hippolytus and an earlier Christian academic Sextus Julius Africanus had predicted Armageddon at about this year.

6.] 968 CE: An eclipse was interpreted as a prelude to the end of the world by the army of the German emperor Otto III.

7.] 992: Good Friday coincided with the Feast of the Annunciation; this had long been believed to be the event that would bring forth the Antichrist, and thus the end-times events foretold in the book of Revelation. Records from Germany report that a new sun rose in the north and that as many as 3 suns and 3 moons were fighting. There does not appear to be independent verification of this remarkable event.

8.] 1000-JAN-1: Many Christians in Europe had predicted the end of the world on this date. As the date approached, Christian armies waged war against some of the Pagan countries in Northern Europe. The motivation was to convert them all to Christianity, by force if necessary, before Christ returned in the year 1000.

Meanwhile, some Christians had given their possessions to the Church in anticipation of the end. Fortunately, the level of education was so low that many citizens were unaware of the year. They did not know enough to be afraid. Otherwise, the panic might have been far worse than it was.

Unfortunately, when Jesus did not appear, the church did not return the gifts. Serious criticism of the Church followed. The Church reacted by exterminating some heretics. Agitation settled down quickly, as it later did in the year 2000.

9.] 1000-MAY: The body of Charlemagne was disinterred on Pentecost. A legend had arisen that an emperor would rise from his sleep to fight the Antichrist.

10.] 1005-1006: A terrible famine throughout Europe was seen as a sign of the nearness of the end.

11.] 1033: Some believed this to be the 1000th anniversary of the death and resurrection of Jesus. His second coming was anticipated. Jesus' actual date of execution is unknown, but is believed to be in the range of 27 to 33 CE.

12.] 1147: Gerard of Poehlde decided that the millennium had actually started in 306 CE during Constantine's reign. Thus, the world end was expected in 1306 CE.

13.] 1179: John of Toledo predicted the end of the world during 1186. This estimate was based on the alignment of many planets.

14.] 1205: Joachim of Fiore predicted in 1190 that the Antichrist was already in the world, and that King Richard of England would defeat him. The Millennium would then begin, sometime before 1205.

15.] 1284: Pope Innocent III computed this date by adding 666 years onto the date the Islam was founded.

16.] 1346 and later: The black plague spread across Europe, killing one third of the population. This was seen as the prelude to an immediate end of the world. Unfortunately, the Christians had previously killed a many of the cats, fearing that they might be familiars of Witches. The fewer the cats, the more the rats. It was the rat fleas that spread the black plague.

17.] 1496: This was approximately 1500 years after the birth of Jesus. Some mystics in the 15th century predicted that the millennium would begin during this year.

18.] 1524: Many astrologers predicted the imminent end of the world due to a world wide flood. They obviously had not read the Genesis story of the rainbow.

19.] 1533: Melchior Hoffman predicted that Jesus' return would happen a millennium and a half after the nominal date of his execution, in 1533. The New Jerusalem was expected to be established in Strasbourg, Germany. He was arrested and died in a Strasbourg jail.

20.] 1669: The Old Believers in Russia believed that the end of the world would occur in this year. 20 thousand burned themselves to death between 1669 and 1690 to protect themselves from the Antichrist.

21.] 1689: Benjamin Keach, a 17th century Baptist, predicted the end of the world for this year.

22.] 1736: British theologian and mathematician William Whitson predicted a great flood similar to Noah's for OCT-13 of this year.

23.] 1792: This was the date of the end of the world calculated by some believers in the Shaker movement.

24.] 1794: Charles Wesley, one of the founders of Methodism, thought Doomsday would be in this year.

25.] 1830: Margaret McDonald, a Christian prophetess, predicted that Robert Owen would be the Antichrist. Owen helped found New Harmony, IN.

26.] 1832?: Joseph Smith (1805-1844) was the founder of the Church of Christ, which became the Restorationist movement after many schisms. It now includes The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- a.k.a. the Mormons, and about a hundred other denominations and sects. He heard a voice while praying, saying that Jesus would return when he was 85..that would have been in 1890.

27.] 1843-MAR-21: William Miller, founder of the Millerite movement, predicted that Jesus would come on this date. A very large number of Christians accepted his prophecy.

28.] 1844-OCT-22: When Jesus did not return, Miller predicted this new date. In an event which is now called "The Great Disappointment," many Christians sold their property and possessions, quit their jobs and prepared themselves for the second coming. Nothing happened; the day came and went without incident.

29.] 1850: Ellen White, founder of the Seven Day Adventists movement, made many predictions of the timing of the end of the world. All failed. On 1850-JUN-27 she prophesied that only a few months remained before the end., and again dramatically in 1856.

30.] 1881: Mother Shipton, (1488 - 1561), a 16th century mystic predicted the end of the world: "...The world to an end shall come; in eighteen hundred and eighty-one."

31.] 1891 or before: On 1835-FEB-14, Joseph Smith, the founder of the Mormon church, attended a meeting of church leaders. He said that the meeting had been called because God had commanded it. He announced that Jesus would return within 56 years -- i.e. before 1891-FEB-15. (History of the Church 2:182)

32. 1914 was one of the more important estimates of the start of the war of Armageddon by the Jehovah's Witnesses (Watchtower Bible and Tract Society).
1914, 1915, 1918, 1920, 1925, 1941, 1975 and 1994, etc. were other dates that the Watchtower Society (WTS) or its members predicted.

The Watchtower Society selected 1975 as its next main prediction.

33.] 1919: Meteorologist Albert Porta predicted that the conjunction of 6 planets would generate a magnetic current that would cause the sun to explode and engulf the earth on DEC-17.

excellent list brother. I actually just ran into a church of the Millerites that still meet they have 150 churches in North America. "Advent Church" not be confused with seventh day adventists. We should be fervently desiring and looking forward to the coming of the Lord but not focused from daily living for Christ.

Waiting and doing nothing is not biblical.

2011/5/12 12:48Profile

Re:

Bringing the list up to date:

–1925. Watchtower magazine predicted: “The year 1925 is a date definitely and clearly marked in the Scriptures, even more clearly than that of 1914; but it would be presumptuous on the part of any faithful follower of the Lord to assume just what the Lord is going to do during that year.”

–1919: Meteorologist Albert Porta predicted that the conjunction of 6 planets would generate a magnetic current that would cause the sun to explode and engulf the earth on DEC-17.

–1936: Herbert W Armstrong, founder of the Worldwide Church of God, predicted that the Day of the Lord would happen sometime in 1936. Nothing much happened that year, except for the birth of the compiler of this list — who has been referred to as an Anti-Christ. When the prediction failed, he made a new estimate: 1975.

–1940 or 1941: A Bible teacher from Australia, Leonard Sale-Harrison, held a series of prophesy conferences across North America in the 1930’s. He predicted that the end of the world would happen in 1940 or 1941. 7

–1948: During this year, the state of Israel was founded. Some Christians believed that this event was the final prerequisite for the second coming of Jesus. Various end of the world predictions were made in the range 1888 to 2048.

–1953-AUG: David Davidson wrote a book titled “The Great Pyramid, Its Divine Message”. In it, he predicted that the world would end in 1953-AUG.

–1957-APR: The Watchtower magazine quoted 6 a pastor from California, Mihran Ask, as saying in 1957-JAN that “Sometime between April 16 and 23, 1957, Armageddon will sweep the world! Millions of persons will perish in its flames and the land will be scorched.’

–1959: Florence Houteff’s, who was the leader of the Branch Davidians faith group, prophesied that the 1260 days mentioned in Revelation 11:3 would end and the Kingdom of David would be established on 1959-APR-22. Followers expected to die, be resurrected, and transferred to Heaven. Many sold their possessions and moved to Mt. Carmel in anticipation of the “end time”. It didn’t happen. The group almost did not survive; only a few dozen members remained.

Most Branch Davidians did die on 1993-APR-29 as a result of arson apparently ordered by their leader, David Koresh. They were not bodily resurrected — on earth at least.

–1960: Piazzi Smyth, a past astronomer royal of Scotland, wrote a book circa 1860 titled “Our Inheritance in the Great Pyramid.” It was responsible for spreading the belief in pyramidology throughout the world. This is the belief that secrets are hidden in the dimensions of the great pyramids. He concluded from his research that the millennium would start before the end of 1960 CE.

–1967: During the six day war, the Israeli army captured all of Jerusalem. Many conservative Christians believed that the rapture would occur quickly. However, the final Biblical prerequisite for the second coming is that the Jews resume ritual animal sacrifices in the temple at Jerusalem. That never happened.

–1970’s: The late Moses David (formerly David Berg) was the founder of the Christian religious group, The Children of God. He predicted that a comet would hit the earth, probably in the mid 1970’s and destroy all life in the United States. One source indicated that he believed it would happen in 1973.

–1972: According to an article in the Atlantic magazine, “Herbert W. Armstrong’s empire suffered a serious blow when the end failed to begin in January of 1972, as Armstrong had predicted, thus bringing hardship to many people who had given most of their assets to the church in the expectation of going to Petra, where such worldly possessions would be useless.”

–1974: Charles Meade, a pastor in Daleville, IN, predicted that the end of the world will happen during his lifetime. He was born circa 1927, so the end will probably come early in the 21st century.

–1975: Many Jehovah’s Witness predicted this date. However, it was not officially recognized by the leadership.

–1978: Chuck Smith, Pastor of Calvary Chapel in Cost Mesa, CA, predicted the rapture in 1981.

–1980: Leland Jensen leader of a Baha’i Faith group, predicted that a nuclear disaster would happen in 1980. This would be followed by two decades of conflict, ending in the establishment of God’s Kingdom on earth.

–1981: Arnold Murray of the Shepherd’s Chapel taught an anti-Trinitarian belief about God, and Christian Identity. Back in the 1970’s, he predicted that the Antichrist would appear before 1981.
bullet Rev. Sun Myung Moon, founder of the Unification Church predicted that the Kingdom of Heaven would be established this year.

–1982: Pat Robertson predicted a few years in advance that the world would end in the fall of 1982. The failure of this prophecy did not seem to adversely affect his reputation.

–1982: Astronomers John Gribben & Setphen Plagemann predicted the “Jupiter Effect” in 1974. They wrote that when various planets were aligned on the same side of the sun, tidal forces would create solar flares, radio interruptions, rainfall and temperature disturbances and massive earthquakes. The planets did align as seen from earth, as they do regularly. Nothing unusual happened.

–1984 to 1999: In 1983, Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh, later called Osho, teacher of what has been called the Rajneesh movement, is said to have predicted massive destruction on earth, including natural disasters and man-made catastrophes. Floods larger than any since Noah, extreme earthquakes, very destructive volcano eruptions, nuclear wars etc. were to happen. Tokyo, New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Bombay will all disappear. Actually, the predictions were read out by his secretary; their legitimacy is doubtful.

–1985: Arnold Murray of the Shepherd’s Chapel predicted that the war of Armageddon will start on 1985-JUN 8-9 in “a valley of the Alaskan peninsula.”

–1986: Moses David of The Children of God faith group predicted that the Battle of Armageddon would take place in 1986. Russia would defeat Israel and the United States. A worldwide Communist dictatorship would be established. In 1993, Christ would return to earth.

–1987 to 2000: Lester Sumrall, in his 1987 book “I Predict 2000 AD” predicted that Jerusalem would be the richest city on Earth, that the Common Market would rule Europe, and that there would be a nuclear war involving Russia and perhaps the U.S. Also, he prophesized that the greatest Christian revival in the history of the church would happen: all during the last 13 years of the 20th century. All of the predictions failed.

–1988: Hal Lindsey had predicted in his book “The Late, Great Planet Earth” that the Rapture was coming in 1988 – one generation or 40 years after the creation of the state of Israel. This failed prophecy did not appear to damage his reputation. He continues to write books of prophecy which sell very well indeed.

–1988: Alfred Schmielewsky, a psychic whose stage name was “super-psychic A.S. Narayana,” predicted in 1986 that the world’s greatest natural disaster would hit Montreal in 1988. Sadly, his psychic abilities failed him on 1999-APR-11 when he answered the door of his home only to be shot dead by a gunman.

–1988-MAY: A 1981 movie titled “The man who saw tomorrow” described some of Nostradamus predictions. Massive earthquakes were predicted for San Francisco and Los Angeles.

–1988-OCT-11: Edgar Whisenaut, a NASA scientist, had published the book “88 Reasons why the Rapture will Occur in 1988.” It sold over 4 million copies.

–1990: Peter Ruckman concluded from his analysis of the Bible that the rapture would come within a few years of 1990.

-1994 Harold Camping, in his book Are You Ready?, predicted the Lord would return in September 1994. The book was full of numerology that added up to 1994 as the date of Christ's return.

After promising they would not make anymore end time predictions, the Jehovah's Witnesses fell off the wagon and proclaimed 1994 as the conclusion of an 80-year generation; the year 1914 was the starting point.

This year had a special month, according to one author who foresaw September as the time for our Lord's return. The Church Age will last 2,000 years from the time of Christ's birth in 4 BC.

California psychic Sheldon Nidle predicted the end would come with the convergence of 16 million space ships and a host of angels upon the earth on December 17, 1996. Nidle explained the passing of the date by claiming the angels placed us in a holographic projection to preserve us and give us a second chance.

In regard to 1997, I received several e-mail messages that pointed to this as the year when Jesus would return for His church. Two of the more widely known time frames were Monte Judah's prediction that the tribulation would begin in February/March and another prediction based on numerology and the Psalms that targeted May 14 as the date of the rapture.

When Yitzhak Rabin and Yasser Arafat signed their peace pact on the White House lawn on September 13, 1993, some saw the events as the beginning of tribulation. With the signing of the peace agreement, Daniel's 1,260-day countdown was underway. By adding 1,260 days to September 1993, you arrive at February 24, 1997.

Stan Johnson of the Prophecy Club saw a "90 percent" chance that the tribulation would start September 12, 1997. He based his conclusion on several end-time signs: that would be Jesus' 2,000th birthday and it would also be the Day of Atonement, although it wouldn’t be what is currently the Jewish Day of Atonement. Further supporting evidence came from Romanian pastor Dumitru Duduman. In several heavenly visions, Dumitru claimed to have seen the Book of Life. In one of his earlier visions, there were several pages yet to be completed. In his last vision, he noticed the Book of Life only had one page left. Doing some rough calculating, Johnson and friends figured the latest time frame for the completion of the book would have to be September 1997.

Numerology: Because 666 times three equals 1998, some people point to this year as being prophetically significant. Someone called me long distance just so he could pass on to me this earth-shattering news.

A Taiwanese cult operating out of Garland, Texas predicted Christ would return on March 31 of 1998. The group's leader, Heng-ming Chen, announced God would return and then invite the cult members aboard a UFO.
The group abandoned their prediction when a precursor event failed to take place. The cult's leader had said that God would appear on every channel 18 of every TV in the world. Maybe God realized at the last minute, the Playboy Network was channel 18 on several cable systems, and He didn't want to have Christians watching a porn channel.

On April 30, 1998, Israel was to turn 50 and many believed this birthday would mark the beginning of the tribulation. The reasoning behind this date has to do with God's age requirement for the priesthood, which is between 30-50.

1998 Marilyn Agee, in her book, The End of the Age, had her sights set on May 31, 1998. This date was to conclude the 6,000-year cycle from the time of Adam. Agee looked for the rapture to take place on Pentecost, which is also known as “the Feast of Weeks.” Another indicator of this date was the fact that the Holy Spirit did not descend upon the apostles until 50 days after Christ's resurrection. Israel was born in 1948; add the 50 days as years and you come up with
After her May 31 rapture date failed, Agee, unable to face up to her error, continued her date setting by using various Scripture references to point to June 7, 14, 21 and about 10 other dates.

Well, you can't call Marilyn Agee a quitter. After bombing out badly several time in 1998, Marilyn set a new date for the rapture: May 21 or 22 of this year.

TV newscaster-turned-psychic Charles Criswell King had said in 1968 that the world as we know it would cease to exist on August 18, 1999.

Philip Berg, a rabbi at the Kabbalah Learning Center in New York, proclaimed that the end might arrive on September 11, 1999, when "a ball of fire will descend . . . destroying almost all of mankind, all vegetation, all forms of life."

Numerology: If you divide 2,000 by 3, you will get the devil's number: 666.66666666666667.

The names of the people and organizations that called for the return of Christ at the turn of the century is too long to be listed here. I would say that if there were a day on which Christ could not return, it must have been January 1, 2000. To come at an unknown time means to come at an unknown time. I think January 2, 2000 would have been a more likely day for Him to call His Church home--right after the big let down.

On May 5, 2000, all of the planets were supposed to have been in alignment. This was said to cause the earth to suffer earthquakes, volcanic eruption, and various other nasty stuff. A similar alignment occurred in 1982 and nothing happened. People failed to realize that the other nine planets only exert a very tiny gravitational pull on the earth. If you were to add up the gravitational force from the rest of the planets, the total would only amount to a fraction of the tug the moon has on the earth.

According to Michael Rood, the end times have a prophetically complicated connection to Israel's spring barley harvest. The Day of the Lord began on May 5, 2000. Rood's fall feast calendar called for the Russian Gog-Magog invasion of Israel to take place at sundown on October 28, 2000.

2000-2001
Dr. Dale SumburËru looked for March 22, 1997 to be "the date when all the dramatic events leading through the tribulation to the return of Christ should begin" The actual date of Christ's return could be somewhere between July 2000 and March 2001. Dr. SumburËru is more general about the timing of Christ's second coming than most writers. He states, "The day the Lord returns is currently unknown because He said [Jesus] these days are cut short and it is not yet clear by how much and in what manner they are cut short. If the above assumptions are not correct, my margin of error would be in weeks, or perhaps months."

Priests from Cuba's Afro-Caribbean Yoruba religion predicted a dramatic year of tragedy and crisis for the world in 2002, ranging from coups and war to disease and flooding.

This date for Jesus' return is based upon psalmology, numerology, the biblical 360 days per year, Jewish holidays, and "biblical astronomy." To figure out this date, you'll need a calculator, a slide rule, and plenty of scratch paper.

-2011 Harold Camping failed prophecy of Jesus Christ's return on May 21, 2011

2011-2018
For the past several decades, Jack Van Impe has hinted at nearly every year as being the time for the rapture. Normally, he has only gone out one or two years from the current calendar year. However, Jack's latest projection for the rapture goes out several years. His new math uses 51 years as the length of a generation. If you add 51 years to 1967, the year Israel recaptured Jerusalem, you get 2018. Once you subtract the seven-year tribulation period, you arrive at 2011.

New Age writers cite Mayan and Aztec calendars that predict the end of the age on December 21, 2012.

Sir Isaac Newton, Britain's greatest scientist, spent 50 years and wrote 4,500 pages trying to predict when the end of the world was coming. The most definitive date he set for the apocalypse, which he scribbled on a scrap of paper, was 2060.

A777

2011/5/12 13:14

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy