SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : rock and roll music

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
PosterThread

Re:

Hi Debra,

Here are some more links I found. I think the music and beat have the real potential of "exciting" the flesh. There is music that stirs the spirit and music that excites the flesh.

And that's just the music, not even talking about the words, yet. I think we only have control over ourselves and our family. We can't legislate these things on people, but surely, more could be taught on it. Seems most churches don't think they can do without it, because they know that they don't really have anything else to attract kids. That in itself is sad and an indictment against modern christianity.

I find these sites with a quick search.

http://www.freedomministries.org.uk/godwin/jefchap1.shtml

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils%20in%20America/christian_rock-devil.htm

http://www.av1611.org/crock/crockex1.html

A777

2011/5/13 14:29
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Debra, I must comment on your conversation to hoohoou...

Quote:
debrabutts said to hoohoou:
You are being quite silly. I said ask Jesus.

Actually he’s not being silly because you said, “If you have asked God about enjoying this type of music and He approves, go for it,” and then you proceeded to add a stipulation to “asking Jesus” by heaping judgment on someone that has not been convicted....

Quote:
BUT IF HE DOES He sure does owe Sodom and Gomorrah an apology. (capital letters by Lisa

I know you may not mean any condemnation (or you may), for those who disagree with you but it did indeed read that way. Please know there are many who love Jesus JUST AS MUCH as you do and can listen to rock and roll without being condemned and I am one of them.

And more importantly, God still loves us – can you believe that??? LOL Yes, He still loves us as much as He loves you! Praise His holy name!

God bless you,
Lisa

2011/5/13 16:39Profile
rufnrust

Indiana

Re:all

Ps 33:3 Sing unto Him a new song, play skillfully with a loud noise.

Ps 40:3 He has put a new song in my mouth, praise to our God, many shall see and fear, and shall trust in the Lord.

Ps 96:1 Oh sing unto the Lord a new song, sing unto the Lord all the earth!

Ps 98:1 Oh sing unto the Lord a new song, for He has done marvelous things....

The word "new" means fresh. New songs come from fresh relationships and hearts freshly in love with Jesus! Nothing wrong with singing "old" songs with a new heart, but don't think that He wants to hear the same songs only, for the next 8 million years!

Every tongue, tribe and nation! Bring on all the instruments! Make a joyful noise unto the Lord! Shout to the Lord with a voice of triumph!

Ps 84:My soul longs even faints for the courts of the Lord,my heart and my flesh "cry out" (for joy) for the Living God.

Like it or not, our flesh is totally involved with praising the Lord. Clapping, singing, hands raised, dancing, twirling, bowing, shouting,...etc

The whole man rejoicing in the Lord.

If there is a counterfeit,(music) there must be an authentic.

Ruf

2011/5/14 7:15Profile
savedtoserve

Re: The Devil's Music

I haven't posted in this thread before, but I wanted to add some comments here...

According to those who have been converted out of foreign heathen darkness, rock and roll music is just another name for African jungle music.

More specifically, there was a missionary to a remote jungle in Africa who brought a native convert with him to the States on his furlough. While there, the missionary's teenage son was listening to "Christian" rock. The native convert was absolutely incredulous, saying, "Why are you listening to the devil's music? That is just what we would play to call down the spirits! Oh, is this what the people in America listen to?"

That, my friend, is not a isolated incident, but something I've read of at least a dozen times happening in different places. It's something to consider, no matter how much you think God is using "Christian" rock.

God never needs to use the devil's music to further His cause, and He never will! The words may be "inspiring," and "effective," and so forth but God's call to Christians is to "COME OUT FROM AMONG THEM and BE YE SEPARATE and TOUCH NOT THE UNCLEAN THING..."

There's no such thing as "Christianizing" something that's the devil's own. That's just not in the Bible.

The idea of "asking God whether rock is right or not" is not very Scriptural. The Bereans searched THE SCRIPTURES daily...Christ said to SEARCH THE SCRIPTURES...Paul reasoned out of THE SCRIPTURES...and so on. Jesus Christ continually asked "Did ye never read?" when someone asked a question they thought Scripture didn't cover. The fact is, God's word covers everything! Not directly, of course, but this is why it is GOD'S WORD.

God be with you as you seek His will!

savedtoserve

2011/5/14 15:04Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

Amen,savedtoserve.

2011/5/14 17:15Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
savedtoserve wrote:
It's something to consider, no matter how much you think God is using "Christian" rock.

There's no such thing as "Christianizing" something that's the devil's own. That's just not in the Bible.

I know you will think I’m nit-picking here but the original question was not about Christian rock music but about oldies....

Quote:
debrabutt's first post:
I would like to know if listening to ole time rock and roll is a sin. Is listening to your radio with rock music playing on it a sin?

That was what my responses were about... oldies music but I can see that this thread has magically become about something else AGAIN! LOL

God bless you all; this is my last post in this thread.
Lisa

2011/5/14 18:48Profile
savedtoserve

Re:

Hi Lysa,

I realize there is a distinction between "the oldies" and modern rock, "Christian" or not. But if you accept one, there is no reason not to accept the other; because the justification (whatever it could be) for the former is just as easily used for the latter.

Ephesians 5:19 says, "Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord." (And may I say, there is not much melody in this music.)

So we're classifying here what a spiritual song is. The only way any type of rock would be acceptable is if it was actually a spiritual song, as it is not one of the other two.

We see in John 14.17-18 that the Holy Spirit is indeed the Spirit of Christ Himself. Would Jesus Christ listen to, play, sing, or encourage this kind of music (old or not)?

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Ask yourself, "Does this type of music let the word of Christ dwell in you richly?"

Revelation 5:9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;

With all respect, do you think that God has a rock band in Heaven? There's something that doesn't seem very holy about a rock band, right? In light of the verse above, do you think it is a coincidence that most people associate a certain different type of music with the angels' singing? The angels would only sing what He likes, what is pleasing to Him, right?

It is widely known that the origin of this music is found in primitive satanic groups, such as witch doctors, black magic artists, and such wickedness.

- savedtoserve

2011/5/14 20:06Profile
rufnrust

Indiana

Re:

If Ps 33: 3 isn't rock music, then what is it?

Ruf

2011/5/15 0:14Profile
savedtoserve

Re:

Ruf,

Our "new song" as Christians ought to still be a "spiritual song" as outlined in Ephesians and Colossians. Again, is rock music (of any kind) spiritual?

If you look in the context of Psalm 33:3, it becomes apparent what is referred to.

Psalms 33:1-4 "Rejoice in the LORD, O ye righteous: for praise is comely for the upright.

"Praise the LORD with harp: sing unto him with the psaltery and an instrument of ten strings.

"Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

"For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth..."

In the verse right before, it says "with the psaltery and an instrument of ten strings," and then goes right on to say "sing a new song and play skilfully with a loud noise." So the verse before clearly gives the sense and idea as to what we're dealing with. I believe it's not coincidence it doesn't mention drums... Not that drums are inherently wrong or evil, but we just have to deal with the fact that it doesn't mention it.

"Sing a new song" is certainly not what rock does. Every song has the same addicting beat and the same sensual appeal that the song before it had... Anything can be "new" when it is introduced to the Church, but that doesn't make it what God wants. It's imperative to compare Scripture with Scripture on this matter, as with everything.

Our culture has taught us to accept low standards of everything, and music is among the lead. We need to consider this seriously enough to say, "Maybe what I consider skillful really isn't skillful." Just study the history of music for yourself, if you wish. It had a high point and accredited students of music tell us that we're in one of the lowest points ever.

We've come to the point where now something that sounds like "the noise of war in the camp" must be explained as "oh, no, that's just the noise of them that are singing (to the Lord!)." That's only how it was when the Israelites were serving a different god (the golden calf), which is a very important observation.

God be with you as you seek Him!

savedtoserve

2011/5/15 14:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy