SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : rock and roll music

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: rock music

Whatever one thinks on this subject we have to try to respect those who disagree with us. I know of some who are strongly against all rock music because of the drum beats and their history within pagan worship (in summoning demons). Also, drums are NOWHERE named in the scriptures by God as instruments He wishes us to use in worshiping him. Personally, I don't believe rock music has any place in a church worship service but I do believe it has a place elsewhere. The reason for this is because drumbeats stimulate the Flesh (that is why drums have historically been used before going to battle and also in pagan worship). So, I find it ok to listen to soft rock music while i am running, competing or exercising for example but not during worship. To me, rock music is like sex; sex has it's place too, just not in a worship service.

p.s. I think "rock music" is usually defined by a very strong and fast drum beat. But there ARE songs that fall kinda inbetween...

2011/5/10 22:31
hoohoou

Texas

Re:

Good post CyAn. I agree fully on your point that we need to respect others who disagree with us. It's dangerous and unhealthy for the Body to be to forceful when voicing what may be something God has dealt with you personally.

Consider Calvinism. I am a firm believer in the idea that a Christian can lose their salvation, and don't agree with the pre-destination doctrine. However, the picture that John Piper, Tim Keller, and a Matt Chandler paint of a savior who is relentless in His pursuit of those He has called is unmatched then anything Arminianism can muster. I hope this doesn't start anything on that, but it fits your post.

I also agree with your idea that there are songs that fall in between rock and worship. It seems we try to make everything black and white. The problem then becomes what is black and what is white. This results in divisions. Then you get people who acquire some pet project or another and instead of just seeking God and loving Him they bring the Body down by brow beating Christians over this pet project. Again, we end up making a caricature out of the other side. While I feel free to listen to "rock" music, I don't listen to music that is advocating drug use, immorality, and unbelief. There is a band whose musical style is exactly the style I prefer, but there lyrics are antagonistic to my savior. I refuse to listen to this.

While we can't run around and say, "Whatever feels right." This leads to everyone doing what is right in one's own eyes. We must be ferociously cautious that nothing begins to come before our Lord. Not everything is black and white. We must allow for those whose beliefs do not line up exactly with ours. I don't know where I would be in my walk without such guys as Piper, Keller, and Chandler, even though I disagree with some of their doctrines.

2011/5/11 8:15Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
They sing songs about everything that we all go through, heart ache, pain, love, and happiness.

A question: why would anyone want to celebrate the heartaches of life by singing abut them? Joy, yes; happiness, yes; praise to God, yes; but heartaches, sin and hurts??

Think I have better things to do that bring me much more delight, happiness. These other things are so depressing...

2011/5/11 8:31Profile
jimmyhudson

England

Re: rock and roll music

Debra
I definitely believe that it is wrong to listen to that type of music. It is worldly and not of God.

Please find the Elvis Presley and Jerry Lee Lewis videos at the below link.

http://theater.goodfight.org/

With Love
James

2011/5/11 8:36Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

"Think I have better things to do that bring me much more delight, happiness. These other things are so depressing..."

They can be but so can some testimonies. The negatives of life and teach us great positives if we allow them to. I have written some very negative songs speaking of alcohol, eating disorders, and cutting yet in the song comes a glorious positive.

2011/5/11 8:38Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

Quote:
What is the difference in rocknroll and contemporary christian music?

Not much, except some of the words. Many of the ccm groups imitate the rnr groups in style, dress and shallowness. 2 Corinthians 6:17 "Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,"

2011/5/11 9:21Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Everything that leads up until today, and even today, the lost are building their testimonies. Testimonies are usually all the ugly things in our past that have brought us to were we are today. If you don't listen to rock, or watch TV, or go to a bar, or smoke pot, or smoke cigarettes, that's ok, that is because you are now a different creature in Christ, WHAT! you think now your good to go in Christ, that now every bad thing stops? not hardly, if you take away all the bad/ugly things in life, why would we need Christ in our lives? Most folks have to have a reason to come to Christ, most of the time that reason is because they are not happy were they are in life, rather it be listening to Rock, drugs, bars, etc. they were moved to Christ by a bad or unhappy lifestyle, take away all the bad or unhappy lifestyles, and there is less reason, to want to come to Christ. It's a sad day when folks can set here on this forum and condemn selflessly, some of the exact things they did, remember the world don't change when "YOU" come to Christ, only your world does. Can't we just give the lost the same opportunities to build their testimonies as we had? Why be so hypocritical? Being hypocritical is what drives the lost farther away from Christ, but Love draws them near, you have a choice.

2011/5/11 10:19Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

2011/5/11 10:22Profile
hoohoou

Texas

Re:

Hi ginnyrose, I guess the thing is that it can be therapeutic to express those feelings. It can also be helpful to know that you are not alone. I wasn't talking about a "cry in my beer" country songs, or any other of the kind. I'm just talking about songs that are about real life, regardless of our religious persuasion. But the psalms are full of "woe is me".

Someone just posted something about the shallowness of CCM. I agree. I wish that more people would just sing about life, the heartache and pain, but bring it back to our Source of life. There is no need to turn a blind eye to the hard parts of life. It doesn't make it go away. Jesus even said we would have trouble in this life. When I hear someone singing a song about hurt I am able to understand what they're going through, and it makes the song meaningful to me. Because I am a child of God I am able to lean on Him when I'm in the midst of bad times.

2011/5/11 10:24Profile

Re:

there is a worship song entitled "Your Blood Says Everything", thats particuraly annointed, in my humble opinion.

There's another one entitled "Hosanna"...the same, annointed. i have them on my hard drive, but have never been able to find a CD copy.....

point being, even in the noise and mess, there can be found Blessings of the Lord.

be slow to condemn, or despise the Deep Things of God.

2011/5/11 10:48

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy