SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Evil is Just a Lack of Empathy

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Evil is Just a Lack of Empathy

Baron-Cohen, who is also director of the Autism Research Centre at Cambridge, has just written a book in which he calls for a kind of rebranding of evil to offer a more scientific explanation for why people kill and torture, or have such great difficulty understanding the feelings of others.

His proposal is that evil be understood as a lack of empathy -- a condition he argues can be measured and monitored and is susceptible to education and treatment.

http://af.reuters.com/article/southAfricaNews/idAFLDE7430U720110505?sp=true

Could there be mandatory "re-training" for those that insist that Jesus is the only way to God? Will that be seen as a lack of "empathy"? Maybe a new drug for those "lacking" in empathy?

Back to article:

Psychopaths, narcissists, and people with borderline personality disorder sit at the bottom end of the scale -- these people have "zero degrees of empathy".

But rather than labelling them as evil, Baron-Cohen says they should be seen as sick, or "disabled", and we should seek to understand why they have such an empathy deficiency and help them replace it.

Baron-Cohen shies away from saying that psychopaths can be "cured" of extreme behaviour, but he argues strongly against locking them up and saying there is nothing society can do.

"I try to keep an open mind. I would never want to say a person is beyond help," he explains. "Empathy is a skill like any other human skill -- and if you get a chance to practise, you can get better at it." (Editing by Mark Trevelyan)

--------------------------------------------------------

Probably a new version of the Bible will track this sociological development and "evil" will be replaced with "lack of empathy".

Rom 7:21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, a lack of empathy is present with me.

2011/5/5 10:50
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Evil is Just a Lack of Empathy

So, autism is simply a lack of empathy? I am trying to recall an incident.... remember when that bridge in MN broke a few years ago and how a teen-aged boy took the initiative to rescue some - was it children? Anyhow, the news media informed the world that he is autistic and he was heralded by the public as a hero!

Just my two cents...

2011/5/5 11:08Profile

Re:

Doesn't make sense, Ginny.

Man will always being trying to shift the blame for his own sin and guilt. We just happen to live in an age when genes are getting all the blame and pharmaceuticals are the solution.

I'm sure they will find the "evil" gene, soon.

A777

2011/5/5 11:20
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Those who would explain away EVIL as simply as this have never met EVIL.

Since they have never 'practiced FAITH' they do not know how to believe in ANYTHING, even EVIL.

Come Lord Jesus,
ws

2011/5/5 12:10Profile
mikey2

Re:

The scientist's very conclusion is EVIL.

2011/5/5 12:18Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Sounds to me like some people have too much time on their hands....actually, society might be better served if they would be given a shovel and told to dig some ditches. Then tell them the next day to go fill them back up again! Wonder if that would make them mad? and if so, how would they explain that emotion?

SIGH.

2011/5/5 23:11Profile
fromtheold

South Africa

Re: Evil is Just a Lack of Empathy

Quote:
director of the Autism Research Centre at Cambridge

That guy seems to have no clue, I am not sure how he got in that position to start off with.

2011/5/6 4:14Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

Another blah, blah, blah book.

2011/5/6 7:37Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy