SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Bible edits leave some feeling cross

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Bible edits leave some feeling cross

Easter may sound a little different this year.

It's purely a coincidence, but U.S. Catholics and Protestants alike are being introduced this Easter season to separate "official" updated translations of the Christian Bible, which arrive in the year the magisterial King James Version celebrates its 400th birthday.

While the changes may seem small, they are resounding throughout Christianity, whose many denominations formed or broke off from others over clashing interpretations of God's word.

The two new translations touch on some of the most sensitive issues behind those differences, particularly on the inequality of women in society and on the divinity of Mary and — by extension — the birth of Jesus. ...

read more: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42215497/ns/us_news-life/

2011/4/23 12:28Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Righteous anger about this

Why do you give this garbage a platform?

You do not even speak against it.

msnbc is not for Jesus, neither are these 'so called' translations.

They clearly state their intentions are to 'change' the Bible.

Quote:
"We have to be very careful about how we go about this, because we don't want to change the word of God easily or quickly," said Douglas J. Moo, chairman of the New International Version translation committee.

They will have to answer to God for this.

Again, you do not even speak out against it. This puzzles me. Please explain,

ws

2011/4/23 13:20Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re: Righteous anger about this

Bold statement Whitestone. Do you know that I was saved using the NIV?

Hmmm... Is this false in your book?

2011/4/23 13:35Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Did you read this quote?

Quote:
"We have to be very careful about how we go about this, because we don't want to change the word of God easily or quickly," said Douglas J. Moo, chairman of the New International Version translation committee.

That man is saying they *do indeed* want to change the word of God, just not too quickly.

Perhaps, the version you were saved through is not what it is today, or what they want it to become.

Anyway, your were saved through the power of the Holy Spirit and the Blood of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, not the book.

But, changing the book matters *because God said it does.*

ws

2011/4/23 14:00Profile

Re: Bible edits leave some feeling cross

Hi White_Stone,

Paul would not have us ignorant of the enemy's devices, so I think it's good to be informed. I liked the quote you chose from the article.

Quote:
The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, meanwhile, has thoroughly revised the Old Testament in its New American Bible, similarly changing many generic references to "mankind" in favor of gender neutrality.

About this, I am incredulous. I had no idea this is what is meant by 'gender neutrality'.

Why?

Because a six-year old can grasp what 'mankind' means. The implication that adults seeking the God who made them - from no matter how dark a background - are unfamiliar with the term, or could not understand if it was explained to them - is laughable. But they're serious! People pay them to make a career out of this kind of 'translation'!

'Professing themselves to be wise, ...' (Rom 1)

2011/4/23 14:09
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

WhiteStone. I know whom I worship, and I know whom saved me. That still does not change the fact that I was reading and using the NIV at the time of being saved. The NIV helped me grow into the Christian that I am today.

FYI, I am not an NIV supporter. I prefer the NKJV almost exclusivly. Its just when people come on and say nothing good can come from a version they disagree with is when I say something.

Blessings!

2011/4/23 15:02Profile
docseth1

Valdosta, Ga

Re: Righteous anger about this

It seems quite clear that the moderator doesn't need to speak out against it as long as you are monitoring the site. You do it for him.

Besides, the moderator is not promoting anything with his post; this is a news report. He's letting us all know what's going on in the religious world.

You have jumped to conclusions that are not founded.

2011/4/23 15:19Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

I know whom I worship

Praise Jesus for your confession. I am happy to hear you have continued to grow in Christ.

I was saved through the PTL Club, Gulp! Even at the time I was aware that the people who were running it were deeply flawed but God used them for His ends. This is no different from you reading the NIV and being saved. Thank God that neither of us stayed put but continued to run the race and to grow in Christ. We are unfinished works, being molded in the Masters Hands. As we continue submitting ourselves to Jesus, we will be able to better reflect His Glory. Who knows what versions either of us will be reading a year from now. Lord willing, we will be with Him and this will not even be ever thought of again. He will dry every tear. . .

Quote:
FYI, I am not an NIV supporter. I prefer the NKJV almost exclusivly. Its just when people come on and say nothing good can come from a version they disagree with is when I say something.

Don't you feel you have to draw the line somewhere? How much 'change' will you allow in a new version before you do?
Follow the money, if there are no new versions published profits drop off. Most of the Bibles I have are 20+ years old. A publishing house would go broke waiting for my business. They can not copyright a new version unless there is a set percentage of changes. After a number of years, not to distant in the future, the Bible as we know it and love it will be totally changed. What then? Speak out before that happens.

Regards,
white stone

2011/4/23 15:27Profile
Joyful_Heart

Re:

The moderator is just giving us some of the current news that pertains to Christians. Thank you Brother Greg for this. Giving God the glory!

It is up to us what we do with it.

Quote:
Besides, the moderator is not promoting anything with his post; this is a news report. He's letting us all know what's going on in the religious world.

2011/4/23 19:19Profile
HeartSong

Re: Bible edits leave some feeling cross

Quote:
Translators of both new versions said the goal was to strike a balance between sometimes conflicting imperatives: fidelity to the original Greek and Hebrew texts, and readability that honors the sensibilities of a 21st-century audience.

The goal has been clearly defined. Change fidelity to sensibility in honor of the audience.

2011/4/23 19:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy