SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Well known preacher steps aside from ministry...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sonofthunder

Son Of Thunder i come from a land down under, due south at the bottom of your work globes

Well known preacher steps aside from ministry...

Well known preacher John piper has apparently announced he will be taking leave of absence from public preaching to qoute "re-examine" his soul...and "on-going character flaws" he goes on to say in this announcement...i see...and he quotes "several species of pride" and these things as he details are enough in themselves "to grieve over" John has requested 8 months leave to sort these issues out...and has every intention of returning to public pulpit ministry (afterwards) piper as we well know is considered one of the most popular protestant preachers of our time! With a public ministry spanning some 30 years. This has no doubt come as a sudden shock to the flock he oversees. However, the man was noble and honourable enough to see his flaws...the stresses...they are currently causing and to step aside to deal with them!!! What all do ya think?? Personally I admire his courage to face his own demons of pride and other "flaws" and not allow stinking pride (which we all have to some degree) to hinder this healing process and work of grace in his heart. I'm praying for John myself! But what all do you think??

2011/4/21 18:23Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re: Well known preacher steps aside from ministry...

This event occurred about a year ago. I am pretty sure the eight months is over already. Or near to it.

2011/4/21 19:07Profile

"I am praying for him, but what do you all think?"

If you are truly praying for him, this thread would not have started.

In a subtle way, this is slander!!

2011/4/21 19:30
sonofthunder

Son Of Thunder i come from a land down under, due south at the bottom of your work globes

Re:

Not sure of the exact timing. Fail to see that significance. You claim to know my motives ...and know my heart? I am pretty sure the article says I admire his forthrigtness and honesty. So your charge of slander. Subtle slander. Is a serious charge.

2011/4/21 19:39Profile
sonofthunder

Re:

I actually have no thoughts of judging the man. The ministry if it has a public profile will attract headlines. I was browsing the web and came across this article. Was unaware of the time lapse. I think its takes courage and integrity to do what he did. I have no other thoughts. I wish the man well - and hope he found much healing.

2011/4/21 19:49Profile
sonofthunder

Re:

I think the other issue here is...preachers are often forced to live in this "bubble" that they can never express or confess a vulnerable side! Or weakness. The expectations of pulpit ministry are such...that they almost have to have a perfect life and perfect marriage. And can never put a foot wrong. But they are human too. And face the same struggles and temptations all flesh - faces. Up until recently the most "some" preachers would confess too...was being discouraged. But now preachers are able to be more open and acknowledge there own struggles. Love covers a multitude of sins. Indeed. Amen.

2011/4/21 20:01Profile
sonofthunder

Re:

I personally, found the charge of subtle slander both distressing and disturbing. We will give account for every idle word! You are not God! Or my judge. Thank you. But one final thing here: I personally know of a minister ( we were friends...acquaintances) and he took leave of absence also. This allowed him to regroup, refocus, consolidate. Gain new direction. He later went on to what I think is bigger and greater things for God. I wish him all the best. But just on "pride" another well known "street preacher" broke down publicly whilst preaching admitting pride and being proud was a problem he faced and had. This happened upon getting into a lift with someone else. Who quote "told him he thought he was a proud man" these are the confessions we are coming to hear. As preachers feel more open ...to admit ...some vulnerbility. Personally preachers that claim they've never done anything wrong ...and been...a good boy all there life (scare me). That's why I admire those who put away the bubble and plastic facades. One preacher of old said: if we elevate the gift...above...the giver...of the gifts. Then pride is inevitable. Furthermore a discussion forum is exactly what it is? It discusses issues and topics. Asks questions. Disputes things. Gives opinions. Releases old and new headlines. Requests prayers and says prayers
attributing evil Intent and motive over forum discussion. Is playing mind reader...and God. Who alone knows the thoughts and inner counsels of the heart.

2011/4/21 20:48Profile

I personally found the charge distressing and distrubing

YOUR NOT DEAD YET! I really believe you have a heart and passion for God,
But God wants us completely dead that nothing moves us.

People can say or do anything to a dead man and he will not respond.

1 Peter 2:23 At Jesus
When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate;
when he suffered, he made no threats,Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly.

Read Psalms 38
David Friends: Those who would harm me talk of my ruin
V-13 I am like a deaf man,who cannot hear,
like a mute, who cannot open his mouth;
I have become like a man who does not hear,
whose mouth can offer no reply.

Thats a dead man.

God wants us dead. Our focus and love on him. Get to a place where nothing moves you. Another realm. I pray that God will get both you and I to this place, That nothing moves us. It doesn't matter what the devil brings are way or says about us. We will stand and reflect Christ.

Brother, I hope this encourages you.

2011/4/25 14:46
shadyg

Every Preacher needs a sabbatical. Praise God for those who have churches that are understanding enough to give them one.

2011/4/25 14:55Profile
davidc

France

Re:

"Every Preacher needs a sabbatical"

Our lives as christians are a complete sabbatical, as in the sense of the sabbath rest He has given us.

How much better if ALL preachers would step down from their pulpits and let the Holy Spirit minister to them through the body of Christ. Pride would not be an issue.

David

2011/4/26 19:06Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy