SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Well that was rather foolish

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
mguldner

Kansas

Well that was rather foolish

So in "honor" of April fool's Day (a day I'm personally not a fan of) I decided to post the many scriptures in Proverbs speaking about the fool. Which is your favor(ites) and why?

"With her enticing speech she caused him to yield,
With her flattering lips she seduced him.
22 Immediately he went after her, as an ox goes to the slaughter,
Or as a fool to the correction of the stocks,[a]
23 Till an arrow struck his liver.
As a bird hastens to the snare,
He did not know it would cost his life." Proverbs 7:21-23

"The wise in heart will receive commands, But a prating fool will fall." Proverbs 10:8

"He who winks with the eye causes trouble, But a prating fool will fall" Proverbs 10:10

"Whoever hides hatred has lying lips, And whoever spreads slander is a fool." Proverbs 10:18

"To do evil is like sport to a fool, But a man of understanding has wisdom." Proverbs 10:23

"He who troubles his own house will inherit the wind, And the fool will be servant to the wise of heart." Proverbs 11:29

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, But he who heeds counsel is wise." Proverbs 12:15

"Every prudent man acts with knowledge, But a fool lays open his folly." Proverbs 13:16

In the mouth of a fool is a rod of pride, But the lips of the wise will preserve them. Proverbs 14:3

A wise man fears and departs from evil, But a fool rages and is self-confident. Proverbs 14:16

A fool despises his father’s instruction, But he who receives correction is prudent. Proverbs 15:5

The lips of the wise disperse knowledge, But the heart of the fool does not do so. Proverbs 15:7

Excellent speech is not becoming to a fool, Much less lying lips to a prince. Proverbs 17:7

Rebuke is more effective for a wise manThan a hundred blows on a fool. Proverbs 17:10

Let a man meet a bear robbed of her cubs, Rather than a fool in his folly. Proverbs 17:12

Why is there in the hand of a fool the purchase price of wisdom, Since he has no heart for it? Proverbs 17:16

He who begets a scoffer does so to his sorrow, And the father of a fool has no joy. Proverbs 17:21

Wisdom is in the sight of him who has understanding, But the eyes of a fool are on the ends of the earth. 17:24

Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace; When he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive. Proverbs 17:28

A fool has no delight in understanding, But in expressing his own heart. Proverbs 18:2

Better is the poor who walks in his integrityThan one who is perverse in his lips, and is a fool. Proverbs 19:1

Luxury is not fitting for a fool, Much less for a servant to rule over princes. Proverbs 19:10

It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel. Proverbs 20:3

Do not speak in the hearing of a fool, For he will despise the wisdom of your words. Proverbs 23:9

Wisdom is too lofty for a fool; He does not open his mouth in the gate. Proverbs 24:7

As snow in summer and rain in harvest,So honor is not fitting for a fool. Proverbs 26:1

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, Lest you also be like him. Proverbs 26:4

Answer a fool according to his folly, Lest he be wise in his own eyes. Proverbs 26:5

He who sends a message by the hand of a fool Cuts off his own feet and drinks violence. Proverbs 26:6

Like one who binds a stone in a sling Is he who gives honor to a fool. Proverbs 26:8

The great God who formed everything Gives the fool his hire and the transgressor his wages. Proverbs 26:10

As a dog returns to his own vomit, So a fool repeats his folly. Proverbs 26:11

Do you see a man wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him. Proverbs 26:12

Though you grind a fool in a mortar with a pestle along with crushed grain, Yet his foolishness will not depart from him. Proverbs 27:22

He who trusts in his own heart is a fool, But whoever walks wisely will be delivered. Proverbs 28:26

If a wise man contends with a foolish man, Whether the fool rages or laughs, there is no peace Proverbs 29:9

A fool vents all his feelings, But a wise man holds them back. Proverbs 29:11

Do you see a man hasty in his words? There is more hope for a fool than for him. Proverbs 29:20

21 For three things the earth is perturbed,
Yes, for four it cannot bear up:
22 For a servant when he reigns,
A fool when he is filled with food,
23 A hateful woman when she is married,
And a maidservant who succeeds her mistress. Proverbs 30:21-23

GOD BLESS!
Matthew

2011/4/1 7:36Profile
mama27

Re: Well that was rather foolish

I appreciate your posting this as a contrast to the many foolish pranks we will see today. I have used many of these verses over the past several years regarding my prodigals - both in speaking to them, and in praying for them. However, as I read through all of these in one place, rather than scattered through my Bible, I am humbled to see myself in a number of them :( I plan to print them out to meditate on. For we have the mind of Christ, and our lives should be characterized by the opposite of foolishness which is wisdom. Thanks for the reminder.

2011/4/1 8:13Profile
mguldner

Kansas

I am glad you enjoyed the post, and I seriously dislike this day because of the practical jokes that occur mostly because I am usually on the receiving end because I don't usually like pranking people. And it has also been a helpful reminder for me as well, when I started posting this I was actually surprised by all the Proverbs that mention the fool :-S

"A fool vents all his feelings, But a wise man holds them back." Proverbs 29:11

Is this justification for bottling your emotions? ;) But really this is interesting to me and I can see the wisedom of this Proverb many times I have spoken out of emotion and then immediately stuck my foot in my mouth so to speak.
and

"Like one who binds a stone in a sling Is he who gives honor to a fool." Proverbs 26:8

This also is a curious proverb, and I enjoy it because I have a great visual when I read it. :)

2011/4/1 8:31Profile
mama27

Re:

Quote:
Is this justification for bottling your emotions? ;)

This was one that spoke to me as well :) It has been proven that bottling emotions is detrimental to our physical health, but we certainly need to "vent" to God before venting to man.

Maybe sometime you would have time to post all the wisdom verses (??)

2011/4/1 8:41Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

I should have time later this evening to do that, and I just may! :) It certainly is a worthy discussion.

2011/4/1 8:43Profile

I think it's rather fun. I'd fabricate some story for Mother and have her believe it and then spring the trap. I love her reaction and then I get my reward when she says, "your crazy, you know that!".

2011/4/1 9:54
ginnyrose

Mississippi

This verse seems to sum it all up rather nicely, I think:

"To do evil is like sport to a fool, But a man of understanding has wisdom." Proverbs 10:23

2011/4/1 10:06Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy