SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : I learn nothing from reading the Book of Revelation of John.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: I learn nothing from reading the Book of Revelation of John.

Quote:
If anything you read in 'Revelations' that has helped you with your walk with God, promoted your unity with fellow Christians, or enhanced your growth as a Christian: from reading the The Book of Revelation, please share and post on this thread.

What Revelation teaches me first and foremost is that Jesus is God. In the hour of human darkness when faith, hope and love seem to fade away, we are reminded that Jesus is God.

He is the faithful witness.
He is the first begotten of the dead.
He is the prince of the kings of the earth.
He has washed us from our sins in His own blood.
He is Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.
He is alive forever more.
Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing.
And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.

In Christ,

Ron

2011/3/30 21:22Profile
wayneman

Michigan

Re:

William Law gives the best advice on how to read the Revelation, and it has nothing to do with interpreting or matching the prophecies with today's headlines. In "The Way to Divine Knowledge" he has John the Shepherd say:

"As I have but one End in hearing the Scriptures read to me, to fill me with the Love of God, and every Kind of Goodness; so every Part of Scripture, whether plain or mysterious, does me the same Good, is alike good to me, and kindles the same heavenly Flame in my Soul. Thus these plain Words, Learn of me, for I am meek and lowly of Heart; and ye shall find Rest unto your Souls; give me, without any Expounder of their Meaning, such an Aversion and Dislike of all Vanity and Pride, fill me with such sweet Contentment in every Lowliness of Life, that I long to be the Servant of every human Creature. On the other Hand, these lofty Words of Scripture,— Behold, a Throne was set in Heaven; and he that sat thereon, was, to look upon, like a Jasper-stone; and there was a Rainbow round about the Throne; and four-and-twenty Seats; and upon the Seats, four-and-twenty Elders in white Raiment, and Crowns of Gold upon their Heads: and out of the Throne proceeded Lightnings, and Thunders, and Voices: and before the Throne were seven Lamps of Fire, which are the seven Spirits of God: and before the Throne there was a Sea of Glass like unto Crystal: and in the midst of the Throne, and round about it, were four Beasts full of Eyes before and behind: and the first Beast was like a Lion, the second like a Calf, the third had a Face as a Man, and the fourth was like a flying Eagle: and the four Beasts had each of them six Wings, and were full of Eyes; and they rest not Day and Night, saying, Holy, holy, holy Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come. And when these Beasts give Glory, and Honour, and Thanks, to him that sat on the Throne, the four-and-twenty Elders fall down before him that sat on the Throne, and cast their Crowns before the Throne, saying, Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive Glory and Honour, for thou hast created all things' &c.* {*Revelations, 4 ver. 2 &c.}

"Now these lofty and mysterious Words, instead of puzzling my Head, lay hold of my Heart, which, all inflamed with them, rises up with the Eyes and Wings of the Beasts in their Song of Praise and Honour; and Bows down with the Elders that worship the high and mighty Lord of Heaven and Earth. And thus I want no Hebrew or Greek Scholar to tell me this or that, what are the seven Spirits of God, why four Kinds of Beasts, why neither more nor less than six Wings, who were the Elders, and why twenty-four; but the whole Matter, as if a Glance of the Majesty of Heaven had just passed by me, strikes my Heart with such good Transports of Wonder and Joy, as makes me all Longing and Desire to be one of those, who are always singing the Praises and Wonders of the Majesty of God. And thus, Rusticus, all that the Scriptures give me to drink, whether high or low, is equally a Cup of Blessing to me, and equally helps forward the Growth of Heaven in my Soul."

2011/3/30 21:46Profile
Giggles

Re:

Horatius Bonar has a solid commentary on Revelation that's worth checking out. His insights into the first few chapters, especially on the Person of Christ, are particularly edifying. Available free on e-sword:

http://www.e-sword-users.org/users/node/2125?vm=r

2011/3/30 23:00Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Want to know whats going on in Revelation? Start watching the news everyday, it's much easier to understand,and it's being played out rightnow.

2011/3/30 23:54Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Wellll, Art, methinks you are approaching the book wrong. Trash all the books you have about Revelation, clear your mind of them. (I agree with the poster who said the only people that understand those books are the authors!) And wait...

Scripture says blessed is he who reads the book and heeds the things that are written therein (Rev. 1:3).

You have any imagination? Now is an excellent time to put it to work for you. And if you do not have one and are lacking in comprehension skills you need to go to the throne and ask for an infusion of it.

Anyhow, I always tell people John is relating a vision he saw. So, try to visualize what he saw. Read it slowly, prayerfully and let these word pictures saturate your mind so you can see these events as they unfold. Simple. Read the book through several times like this before you get to writing. Eventually it will make sense.

Personally, I love the book - it IS my favorite NT book. Isaiah and Ecclesiastes are my favorite OT books.

Hope this helps...

2011/3/31 0:17Profile
rufnrust

Indiana

Hey ArtB For what it's worth, I have found chapter 4 and 5 have kept me on my face and on my feet for years!

Ruf

2011/4/3 17:23Profile
ArtB

New York

I do not have much time to comment now, but I do appreciate all the replies and will take this moment to thank all who responded.

It will take time for me to follow up on the many thoughts and advices given.

As for my Comprehension, I do believe I have a good grasp of the Bible and God's plans for us, which has been unfolding as planned from the very beginning. It is only the Book of Revelation that has eluded me as to its' meanings, particularly after the letters to the 7 churches.

Peace,

ArtB

2011/4/4 12:22Profile

Re:

Brother, Just now, I felt led to post this portion of Scripture but I wasn't sure 'where' I was supposed to post it. I thought I was to post it on the thread I started but no - that did not feel like where it was supposed to go.
I reckon it's to go here, to help direct our thoughts to where they may need to be, before we go too far in dissecting the finer points of eschatology.
I understand that we all have Bibles and I could just post the reference, but I felt it strongly to post the chpt itself. There's something in this chpt that I felt I need to pick through again & again myself.
Bless y'all!

2Pe 3:1 This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance:
2Pe 3:2 That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour:
2Pe 3:3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
2Pe 3:4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.
2Pe 3:5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:
2Pe 3:6 Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:
2Pe 3:7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
2Pe 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
2Pe 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
2Pe 3:11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
2Pe 3:12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
2Pe 3:13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
2Pe 3:14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.
2Pe 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
2Pe 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
2Pe 3:17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.
2Pe 3:18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
To Him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

2011/4/4 13:26

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy