SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Blessed are the pure in heart... by Oswald Chambers

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Joyful_Heart

Blessed are the pure in heart... by Oswald Chambers

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God —Matthew 5:8

Purity is not innocence— it is much more than that. Purity is the result of continued spiritual harmony with God. We have to grow in purity. Our life with God may be right and our inner purity unblemished, yet occasionally our outer life may become spotted and stained. God intentionally does not protect us from this possibility, because this is the way we recognize the necessity of maintaining our spiritual vision through personal purity. If the outer level of our spiritual life with God is impaired to the slightest degree, we must put everything else aside until we make it right. Remember that spiritual vision depends on our character— it is “the pure in heart ” who “see God.”

God makes us pure by an act of His sovereign grace, but we still have something that we must carefully watch. It is through our bodily life coming in contact with other people and other points of view that we tend to become tarnished. Not only must our “inner sanctuary” be kept right with God, but also the “outer courts” must be brought into perfect harmony with the purity God gives us through His grace. Our spiritual vision and understanding is immediately blurred when our “outer court” is stained. If we want to maintain personal intimacy with the Lord Jesus Christ, it will mean refusing to do or even think certain things. And some things that are acceptable for others will become unacceptable for us.

A practical help in keeping your personal purity unblemished in your relations with other people is to begin to see them as God does. Say to yourself, “That man or that woman is perfect in Christ Jesus! That friend or that relative is perfect in Christ Jesus!”

2011/3/26 13:28Profile

Re: Blessed are the pure in heart... by Oswald Chambers

Praise GOD! I love Oswald Chambers Sis. Thank you!

From the book: The Quotable Oswald Chambers (A compilation of Topical Quotes)

"LUST"

Lust means, I will satisfy myself; whether I satisfy myself on a high or a low level makes no difference, the principle is the same. It is the exercise of my claim to my right to myself, and that has to go; in the final wind-up of the human race there won’t be a strand of it left.

Biblical Ethics, 112 L

“Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts” (Romans 1:24).
What is lust? “I must have it at once!” That is lust. Jesus said that lust would destroy the work of grace He has begun in us; “the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word” (Mark 4:19).

Biblical Psychology, 180 L

Lust and covetousness are summed up in the phrase, “I must have it at once and for myself.” It is an absolute flood in the nature of man, it overtakes his spirit, it overtakes his soul and body.

If Thou Wilt Be Perfect, 574 R

When once God’s mighty grace gets my heart wholly absorbed in Him, every other love of my life is safe; but if my love to God is not dominant, my love may prove to be lust. Nearly all the cruelty in the world springs from not understanding this. Lust in its highest and lowest form simply means I seek for a creature to give me what God alone can give, and I become cruel and vindictive and jealous and spiteful to the one from whom I demand what God alone can give.

If Thou Wilt Be Perfect, 594 L

We use the word lust for the gross abominable sins of the flesh only, but the Bible uses it for a great deal more than that. Lust simply means, “I must have this at once”; it may be a bodily appetite or a spiritual possession. The principle lust works on is, “I must have it at once, I cannot wait for God’s time, God is too indifferent”; that is the way lust works.

The Philosophy of Sin, 1109 L

Chambers, Oswald ; McCasland, Dave: The Quotable Oswald Chambers. Grand Rapids, MI : Discovery House Publishers, 2008, S. 159

2011/3/26 14:21

"THOUGHTS / THOUGHT LIFE"

We are responsible for our habits of thinking, and Paul in these passages* is dealing with the phase of mental life in which a man can choose his thinking and is able to express it in words. The old idea that we cannot help evil thoughts has become so ingrained in our minds that most of us accept it as a fact. But if it is true, then Paul is talking nonsense when he tells us to choose our thinking, to think only on those things that are true, and honourable, and just, and pure.

The Moral Foundations of Life, 702 L

Never pray about evil thoughts; it will fix them in the mind. “Quit”—that is the only thing to do with anything that is wrong; to ruthlessly grip it on the threshold of your mind and allow it no more way. If you have received the Holy Spirit, you will find that you have the power to bring “every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.”

The Moral Foundations of Life, 706 R

Our minds are apt to be all abroad, like an octopus with its tentacles out to catch everything that comes along—newspaper garbage, spiritualistic garbage, advertisement garbage, we let them all come and make a dumping ground of our heads, and then sigh and mourn and say we cannot think right thoughts. Beware of saying you cannot help your thoughts; you can; you have all the almighty power of God to help you. We have to learn to bring every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, and it takes time. We want to reach it in a moment like a rocket, but it can only be done by a gradual moral discipline, and we do not like discipline; we want to do it all at once.

The Moral Foundations of Life, 719 L

A wrong temper of mind is the most blameworthy thing there is. It is not only what we say but what we think that tells.

So Send I You, 1299 R

Things of Good Report … literally, the things that have a fine face, a winning and attractive tone about them. What should we be like after a year of thinking on these things? We might not be fatter, but I am certain we should look pleasanter! When we do think about the things of good report we shall be astonished to realise where they are to be found; they are found where we only expected to find the opposite. When our eyes are fixed on Jesus Christ we begin to see qualities blossoming in the lives of others that we never saw there before. We see people whom we have tabooed and put on the other side exhibiting qualities we have never exhibited, although we call ourselves saved and sanctified.

The Moral Foundations of Life, 720 L

Beware what you brood on in secret, for the fateful opportunity will come when God and the devil will meet in your soul, and you will do according to your brooding, swept beyond all your control. This is a law as sure as God is God.… Beware of saying, “Oh well, it doesn’t matter much what I think about in secret”; it does, for the opportunity will come when what you think about in secret will find expression and spurt out in an act.

Our Portrait in Genesis, 980 L

We cannot think anything without the thought having its consequence.

Shade of His Hand, 1240 R

Chambers, Oswald ; McCasland, Dave: The Quotable Oswald Chambers. Grand Rapids, MI : Discovery House Publishers, 2008, S. 296

2011/3/26 14:50
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Thank you Joyful Heart and JIG for these posts.

"But who can endure the day of His coming? And who shall stand when He appears? For He is like a refiner's fire, and like fuller's soap." (Malachi 3:2)

2011/3/26 15:37Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Quote:
A practical help in keeping your personal purity unblemished in your relations with other people is to begin to see them as God does. Say to yourself, “That man or that woman is perfect in Christ Jesus! That friend or that relative is perfect in Christ Jesus!”

Titus 1:15 To the pure all things are pure: but to them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.

Thank you sister!

2011/3/26 22:35Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy